Summit League may be looking at changing mirror scheduling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League may be looking at changing mirror scheduling

According to the yahoos on KWSN 1230 . . .

Discussing m/w double-headers and how attendance has dropped this year under mirror scheduling.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Summit League may be looking at changing mirror scheduling

Is there anyone who understands why the conference wanted to schedule this way?
    Originally posted by filbert View Post

Discussing m/w double-headers and how attendance has dropped this year under mirror scheduling.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      Is there anyone who understands why the conference wanted to schedule this way?
      One of the reasons was to allow for the Women to have a true day off.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        One of the reasons was to allow for the Women to have a true day off.
        And get rid of Monday games.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Yahoos is right. I am not a fan of the mirror schedule as I like to watch or listen to both men's and women's games. There are a large number, not insignificant that couldn't care less about the women's game. This is just a fact.

I am a bit torn on doubleheaders. It gets to be one heck of a long night when they schedule two separate games on the same night. It isn't that same as the old NCC doubleheader weekends. Ideally I'd like to see a Friday night, Saturday afternoon or Saturday night, Sunday afternoon set up. Not likely to be feasible because it seems too logical.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have spoken to a number of people about the mirror setup. I asked people that live in SF and other further posts about the schedule. Most of the people that are in the late 50's and up do not mind the trips every week for games. The people that have more demanding job requirements do not like the every week twice trips. The winter was not too tough and that makes some of the comments as well. Fortunately the men and women were both successful and the crowds at Brookings did not suffer the decrease in numbers. Some of those that did not approve of the mirror schedule miss the doubleheader games. I live close enough and spend time in Brookings so I am not missing games because of a mirror schedule. Next year may be the acid test for SDSU as we transition to post Nate. I remember a few years ago the exodus of fans following the women game. I would hope that regardless of the mirror schedule that the attendance will continue to grow for both teams. I am sure there is some class in the university that needs the project of a survey to consider this issue and present the results to the Summit.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

yes, was also an article in the 'inforum' (fargo newspaper website) about mirror scheduling. sounds like it is up for discussion this spring.

Comment

There are some things of D2 that die a slow death and one of them is double hitters.

Comment

It may have been less of a problem if they may have staggered more of the game starts. Often times, the same tip time made problems for people in the arena following both games( a different problem than extra driving for season ticketholders). In the past, we could go to Fargo and watch 2 games in 2 days(Friday & Saturday) rather than a doubleheader. What is the perfect D1 solution? What is best for the each team in the conference? What is the best for the fans? I am not certain what criteria is used for the decision making on this matter.
                  Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  There are some things of D2 that die a slow death and one of them is double hitters.

Comment

I know we're in the "big leagues" now of DI...but for most schools in the Summit and the attendance they draw for both men's and women's games, why wouldn't doubleheaders be an attractive alternative. Consider the costs that go into running an event purely interms of staffing required - ushers, ticket takers, security, announcers, cleaning crew, concessions, etc. Double that for the mirror schedule versus having a double header and reducing your costs. Granted, "that's not how the big boys do it", but come on, these aren't ACC and Big Ten schools we're talking about with decent size crowds. There are literally hundred(s) of people at some of the games. Double up, cut some costs and provide fans with some quality basketball.

And someone go ahead and feel free to toss the lost ticket revenue argument at me. I don't think this is a solution for SDSU since our women's games are well attended, but overall for the Summit, it would help many of the schools.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Double-headers aren't the only possible alternate scheduling option to mirror scheduling.

Playing Thursday-Saturday and Friday-Sunday, for example. Stagger them as needed for optimal TV coverage between each school's men's and women's teams playing Thu-Sat and Fri-Sun games. Or, for some weekends, a particular team might actually play Thursday-Sunday (again, shifting as needed to present the best TV game). This might result in a Thursday or a Sunday double-header as a consequence, but that would be an exception rather than a rule.

The only thing you need to make sure of is that you don't have any school's men's and women's basketball teams playing at the same time.

This would require a bit more work by the conference office in putting acceptable schedules together, but would go a long way towards addressing both fan and coach/player concerns about both mirror scheduling, double-headers, and the Thu-Sat-Sun-Mon scheduling issue.

(Yeah, you're competing with high schools for Friday nights which is a problem, but the old NCC played Friday-Saturday double-headers and seemed to survive OK. Plus you might be able to get Friday night Summit League basketball games on better networks in better timeslots--maybe even make that the league's marquee Game! Of! The! Week!)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                      X