Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Summit tourney

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    The conference schedule isn't totally under the control of the conference. ESPN decides when they want to show the championship games.

Maybe it's time to pursue one of the other sports networks (NBC/CBS/Fox) to show the Summit championship games.
    I think it might be time to look at other options as well. I noticed the Patriot League tournament had multiple tournament games televised by CBS Sports. Maybe by moving we could get our semifinal games on TV as well or perhaps some regular season coverage, ESPN clearly only cares about the title game. I'm sure Fox and its two new networks are looking for content, that said I'm not sure how long our deal is with ESPN.

Comment

With all the chatter about some teams that the Summit did not offer who were interested, has there been any teams that might be on the radar who would be a good fit?
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        I think it might be time to look at other options as well. I noticed the Patriot League tournament had multiple tournament games televised by CBS Sports. Maybe by moving we could get our semifinal games on TV as well or perhaps some regular season coverage, ESPN clearly only cares about the title game. I'm sure Fox and its two new networks are looking for content, that said I'm not sure how long our deal is with ESPN.
        Well CBS cut away before the end of the Missouri Valley championship game was over to watch the start of a B1G regular season game. If that had happened to our championship game, that would be devastating. I like the ESPN 2 coverage. The only change I would like to see is the MidCom games being broadcast in HD. But I can still live without that as long as the games are on TV and they stay until the end of the game.

Go State!!!
        Go Jacks!!!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          With all the chatter about some teams that the Summit did not offer who were interested, has there been any teams that might be on the radar who would be a good fit?
          Assuming you're talking about conference membership--I didn't pick up on any conversations at the tournament that anybody was being seriously considered at this time. I also heard from several sources that the Dakota schools weren't going anywhere, and it didn't sound from the conversations I had that Oakland was anywhere near a move either. I wasn't everywhere and did not talk to everyone, though, so grains of salt are warranted.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            I think the only school that has applied recently that the Summit would be open to currently is UND, but I went back and read and listened to some reports from schools when Denver was accepted and it happened real fast, and most of the schools didn't even know that they had formally applied, just that there had been some talks.

I've read an listened to a few things on Oakland, I don't expect them to be a member of the Summit in 5 years, but I'd be surprised if they weren't a member next year.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Isn't NDSU an ag school? According to a USD Fan, since all SDSU graduates are farmers we have don't have to ask for any time off this time of year, that is why there is so much blue and yellow in the stands.
              I just read the original statement behind this quote over on the USD site. I guess the attitude behind it shows why USD had a miniscule crowd despite being just minutes down the road. Fortunately for us, that results in more tickets in the hands of SDSU fans (farmers or not). I usually plant a garden. Does that make me a "farmer" in the eyes of USD fans?

Buy up the rest of those 2014 tickets!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                I just read the original statement behind this quote over on the USD site. I guess the attitude behind it shows why USD had a miniscule crowd despite being just minutes down the road. Fortunately for us, that results in more tickets in the hands of SDSU fans (farmers or not). I usually plant a garden. Does that make me a "farmer" in the eyes of USD fans?

Buy up the rest of those 2014 tickets!
                Just north of Arlington a few miles and maybe close to Lake Poinsett is a Buffalo farm, and I was thinking some of those abundant buffalo pies would make great growing tomato plants. Just a side observation, but its the farmer in me, and I did not attend the SL tourney by the way but I did attend SDSU and majored in Commerical Economics, with one elective in Agriculture Cooperatives. I could not afford those high classed accounting courses offered at USD. Just saying, those USD people are very flippant when it comes to supporting a good basketball team. Making the farmer references are their last resort. Are they not the oldest institution in the Dakotas?

Comment

I humbly suggest that it's impolite to drag discussions from one discussion board to another . . . If you really want to comment about the statement on the Yote board, go over there and do it, please.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Perhaps I should go back a few pages and re-read some of the posts because I may have misunderstood some comments. But, are some contending that if the tourney was Thursday - Sunday as compared to the present Saturday - Tuesday, more people would be able to attend? Are there a lot of people who have Thursdays and Fridays off? I don't get it. Two work days vs. two work days.

I saw a lot of Jackrabbits from Rapid City -- 6 to 7 hours depending on how fast one wants to drive. A saw a lot of Jackrabbits from Minneapolis, between 4 and 5 or more hours depending on where they reside in the Twin Cities. I saw Jackrabbits from DesMoines--one couple I know from Des Moines has been at every Summit League Tourney. Jackrabbits from north of Brookings had to drive those icy roads...we just drove 35 mph instead of 79.

NDSU Coach Phillip calls out the NDSU fans in his post-game interview which has been available on the internet. I think Phillips knows what he's talking when it comes to fan support and clearly he was disappointed in the lack of support his team had this year. I think the guy felt let-down and he felt badly for his team not having the support it deserved.

I thought Western Illinois had a student representation that numbered about 50 but made noise like about 150. And I'm told they were WIU students (not Augie rent-a-fan like last year -- I still laugh about that!). I hope Western does better next year than predictions suggest. That program came back nicely and the fans responded with record or near-record attendance at several home games at the end of the season.

Comment

• Re: 2014 Summit tourney

Yes it would be much easier to go to games, if you had the most important games on the weekend. This isn't exactly rocket science, people could just skip the first game if they can't get off work. I didn't go to NDSU's first game.

The Summit should move to byes for the top 2 seeds and play the tournament Friday-Sunday. That would be the best for the fans that travel. The current format is absurd, if you people from further away(Michigan, Indiana and Illinois) they have to take Wednesday off as well.
                      Last edited by FargoBison; 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Yes it would be much easier to go to games, if you had the most important games on the weekend. This isn't exactly rocket science, people could just skip the first game if they can't get off work. I didn't go to NDSU's first game.

The Summit should move to byes for the top 2 seeds and play the tournament Friday-Sunday. That would be the best for the fans that travel. The current format is absurd, if you people from further away(Michigan, Indiana and Illinois) they have to take Wednesday off as well.

As long as people buy tickets and there are teams to play they will play all games, you could go to a double bye situation but again that could hurt ticket sales.

As for scheduling, yes I think NBC-Sports, CBS-Sports and the future Fox Sports have to be looked at as possible changes to get a better schedule but there is no way you can take the game off of TV.

Comment

Step up take a couple of vacation days and buy all session passes. I've been doing it since we started and even when the Jacks Men have lost it has still been a great 4 days

Comment

Well I was there Monday and Tuesday so I stepped up more than the vast majority of Bison fans.

I spent a ton of money going to Frisco, might have to budget my money better next year.

Comment

I know you're being sincere in your comments. I understand your position but I respectfully disagree.

I think many SDSU fans enjoy going to the entire tourney and watch all or most of the games. I know I'm not the only one who watched 14 games this weekend. Look at the crowd when two teams other than SDSU are playing: while there aren't 6,000 in the stands, there's still a lot of SDSU yellow and blue. I suppose it sounds cliche but I honestly look at each SDSU game as being the most important. I'm scared we'll get beat and not make the next game. My wife is convinced that if we're not there yelling a lot, our team won't win. So, in a way, that first game is the most important and I'm not going to miss it hoping that I can then go on the weekend.

I was impressed by NDSU's crowds when Woodside was a senior. The schedule was identical to this year's schedule. I just don't get how this year's NDSU crowd was a small fraction of the Woodside-era crowd. I know roads played a role and so did tickets sales (concern about no tickets available). But those factors cannot account for the steep dropoff. The comments made by Coach Phillips were a little surprising -- I don't think I've heard him make such comments before -- perhaps he has but I just missed them.

Comment

After getting to the post game interview for the NDSU players and coach, I have a hard time finding anything but respect for this current coach and team. This appears to be a great team to be competing against. Coach implores his fans to pay attention and support this group. The players are very gracious and competitive. also, the threads on bisonville show a fine tribute to the Jacks team. Great tourney and there are more games to compete this year for our seniors. 14 games makes an old fat guy a bit tired. It is a time to look forward to 2014 for more great games.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X