• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Scheduling

Put me down as one who hates mirror scheduling

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...duling-options

Re: Mirror Scheduling

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Put me down as one who hates mirror schedulinghttp://www.argusleader.com/article/2...duling-options
    As do I. It's not working. More doubleheaders should be encouraged. Many of us travel great distances for these games. I can't make it to Brookings every weekend.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      As do I. It's not working. More doubleheaders should be encouraged. Many of us travel great distances for these games. I can't make it to Brookings every weekend.
      Maybe an online petition from the fans to the SL is in order? Fans of all teams could participate then.

and If not we can all Chew on Douple @ the SL tourney.
      My Guess is that once the AD Sees the reduced Attendance #'s (== $$$$) this might be brought up by them as well.

Comment

I really dislike it too but the problem you might run into hoping for a conference-wide petition is that outside of SDSU, womens' basketball is an afterthought. I can't imagine any of these other teams complaining that they have trouble finding their womens' games on the radio.

Look at the average attendence numbers from last year (http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weekly...BBattend1.html).

SDSU 2403
        USD 1290
        NDSU 840
        OU 647
        WIU 479
        IPFW 337
        IUPUI 300!

Comment

Put me in the group that hates the mirror scheduling.

As much as that, I'm confused by some of the game times. What's up with playing the game Saturday at 4:00? The best crowds are always Saturday night crowds. It's not like IPFW is going to play at 4:00 and then bolt to SF and catch a plane home. Plus, that time competes with NFL playoffs.

Mirror scheduling sucks but it is made even worse by making the start times at less than ideal times. Who sets the times, us or the conference? Either way, needs to be fixed.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I don't care that much about women's games until March... does that make me a bad person?

If I was a season ticket holder, of course I would prefer double headers, but I wouldn't show up until the second half of the women's game anyway... I would guess I'm not alone in that...
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              Put me in the group that hates the mirror scheduling.

As much as that, I'm confused by some of the game times. What's up with playing the game Saturday at 4:00? The best crowds are always Saturday night crowds. It's not like IPFW is going to play at 4:00 and then bolt to SF and catch a plane home. Plus, that time competes with NFL playoffs.

Mirror scheduling sucks but it is made even worse by making the start times at less than ideal times. Who sets the times, us or the conference? Either way, needs to be fixed.

SUPERBUNNY
              I could be wrong, but I think the different start times has more to do with games being on TV then mirror scheduling

Comment

if we had more confrence double headers we would probably make more. usually we make just 1 or 2 games in brookings ayear and go to alll session for the summit tourny. driving a hour each way for sporting even that takes less time the then travel makes it tough to spend that extra money. I know we are in the rare prediciment with this, but I would still think other schools would have issues due facilities being booked solid eliminating other events that might happen when teams are gone for a weekend. Seems frost has a lot of things that go on and every weekend having games limits what can happen I would think.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

One more thought. If most teams are having trouble getting fans to womens games, why not sweeten the deal. with more double headers, I think making each double header a special thing makes a 2 hour even a 4+ hour even that might lead to more fans showing up for the womens game. Maybe it stunk before when trying it but I think a package deal really helps the bottom line more and with a push on marketing and excitement of not having to try to go every week to to games but make it an event every other week. Maybe they should look back at the NCC data of doubleheader attenedance and revenue compared to non double header games. I dont know what it would be but interesting to see if it was better worse the same.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I guess I am one of those who will give mirror scheduling a chance. Personally double hitters have literally gotten to be a pain in the a8s for this old geezer, a name tag given to me by Just in the Crowd. I am starting to appreciate attending only one game at a time.
                    If this helps the Women's program by improving their study schedule and avoiding Monday night games, then its a good thing for our young ladies and no doubt will improve the team GPA more. Its confusing, but with time, we will adjust.

Comment

allmost all confence games in the NCC at the end were double headers right? thursday and saturday games? man those were fun. Hanson and Stobner and Schantz and Pater Davis etc on the women. those were great teams to be their as a student. Hope the students appreacite the teams they have now.......even though the student seating sucks a lot more now considering how good it was with the old wooden bleachers close to the floor.

Comment

I would be really surprised if overall attendance for both the men and women are not hurt because of the mirror scheduling. Our fan base covers an entire state and justifying driving several hours for only one game is not as appealing as going to the double headers. Even when it wasn't a true "double header" with both games on the same day. I could at least justify the trip by making a weekend out of it, dropping some money for a hotel, nightlife, etc. and still see both games on Sat and Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          allmost all confence games in the NCC at the end were double headers right? thursday and saturday games? man those were fun. Hanson and Stobner and Schantz and Pater Davis etc on the women. those were great teams to be their as a student. Hope the students appreacite the teams they have now.......even though the student seating sucks a lot more now considering how good it was with the old wooden bleachers close to the floor.
                          Yup...Fri/Sat games actually. Women played at 6, Men at 8. Our entire family and extended family would come up on 'home' weekends and reserve about 4 rooms at the Staurolite. It was definitely a blast. Travel partners were SDSU/Augie, USD/Morningside, St. Cloud St./Mankato St., NDSU/UND, UNO/Northern Colorado.
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Not a fan of mirror scheduling either, but if it's easier/better for the student athletes (i.e. the women get a day off), then it should stay.

It IS all about the student athlete, right?
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              Yup...Fri/Sat games actually. Women played at 6, Men at 8. Our entire family and extended family would come up on 'home' weekends and reserve about 4 rooms at the Staurolite. It was definitely a blast. Travel partners were SDSU/Augie, USD/Morningside, St. Cloud St./Mankato St., NDSU/UND, UNO/Northern Colorado.
                              it was friday? I thought they were a day inbetween but your memory is probably better then mine. For a few years when we played USD for the last time before the move my friends and I would get all body painted up and run like crazy to get the best seats in the front row hoping to be there before Slosho. I do wish I could make more games though. I think Oakland is going to be a challenge for sure but I think Nagy is going to finally have the team realize how important it is to play 40 minutes. Gotta protect the home court.

Comment

Working...
                              X