USD in Wyoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD in Wyoming

I had the opportunity to watch USD play twice in Laramie, Wyoming. The lost to Southern U in a close game and were crushed by UW. I was very unimpressed by their play. Gruis looked slow and uninspired while failing to use his size against smaller opponents. He was heavily out-rebounded by UW's more active but smaller forwards. They seemed to have no design to their play at all. It reminded me of my high school intramural basketball days. Run the ball up the court fast. One or two quick passes on the perimeter and throw up a desperation 3-pointer with plenty of time left on the shot clock. About the only positive I saw was that Freshman Casey Kasperbauer actually made some of those long balls. IMO, SDSU should have even less problems with the Yotes than last year.

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
    I had the opportunity to watch USD play twice in Laramie, Wyoming. The lost to Southern U in a close game and were crushed by UW. I was very unimpressed by their play. Gruis looked slow and uninspired while failing to use his size against smaller opponents. He was heavily out-rebounded by UW's more active but smaller forwards. They seemed to have no design to their play at all. It reminded me of my high school intramural basketball days. Run the ball up the court fast. One or two quick passes on the perimeter and throw up a desperation 3-pointer with plenty of time left on the shot clock. About the only positive I saw was that Freshman Casey Kasperbauer actually made some of those long balls. IMO, SDSU should have even less problems with the Yotes than last year.
    I am SDSU fan, but as I recall we had plenty of problems with USD in Vermillion last year. I think if the new season has shown us anything, it will never be easy. I hope you are right, but I would not assume anything.

Comment

Re: USD in Wyoming

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
      The games with USD don't mean anything anyway, just another game, right? So why compare to the Coyotes right now? Unless............

Comment

Mods please move this thread to the Summit League

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          The games with USD don't mean anything anyway, just another game, right? So why compare to the Coyotes right now? Unless............
          Of course, SDSU must have USD as the only rival. How could games against any other school matter? Sometimes it feels as some USD fans act as jilted girlfriends.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
            Mods please move this thread to the Summit League
            Or maybe smack?

Comment

My bad JD. Just get a little irked on the forced, necessary rivalry thing.
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

USD lost a heart-breaker to Gonzaga today 96-58

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  USD lost a heart-breaker to Gonzaga today 96-58
                  They better be prepared for a lot of those "heart-breakers" this year.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

JD your thought to move the thread to Smack is likely wise.

Comment

They start 4 newcomers and are a totally different team so I believe as the year goes on they will get better with that said I still don't think they will be that good they have some glaring holes and will have a talent disadvantage in most games they play

Comment

You forgot to mention that the Yotes did beat NC Central which might not be a great win but it's not like this is a team that won't do anything positive this year. I think by your own admissions Nate Wolters has basically been your Mr. Everything and the other players are having a hard time stepping up and out of his shadow. When Wolters is gone you become an average Summit Team. The Yotes have alot of young talent and Boot's has done a good job with those situations in the past. I believe next year will really start to prove how USD and SDSU match up. The gap may never be wider than it is this season.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                          You forgot to mention that the Yotes did beat NC Central which might not be a great win but it's not like this is a team that won't do anything positive this year. I think by your own admissions Nate Wolters has basically been your Mr. Everything and the other players are having a hard time stepping up and out of his shadow. When Wolters is gone you become an average Summit Team. The Yotes have alot of young talent and Boot's has done a good job with those situations in the past. I believe next year will really start to prove how USD and SDSU match up. The gap may never be wider than it is this season.
                          Disagree. I think the main part of the rest of the teams struggles is they are playing a different role than last year and they need to find their identity, but it seems as though Carlson has found his shot back and White is just about there. Dykstra was a mystery to me in NY as he didn't play well at all compared to the first two games, but he will be just fine. Prince looked good against UDC, but it is yet to see how good he will look against real D1 competition. I think Bittle will be a pretty darn good pg when it's all said and done and the rest of the freshman and future makes me think they will be ok after Wolters leaves.
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I don't want to get into an argument about what team is better when or whatever. But anyone who has watched SDSU play, and USD plays knows that there is more talent on SDSU's team. Most USD fans will even concede that, and it is more then Nate Wolters. Now I agree that other players will have to step up and that is hard to predict just how they will handle the pressure. After next year of course USD will be closer to SDSU as they should be, USD should be improving every year now that their recruits will be full-fledged NCAA members. That generally helps.

Comment

The Jackrabbits are in a reload mode at this time. The yotes are in a rebuild phase. They may take longer than they want for the first break through as well. They will lose players that are vital to the team from year to year. We can hope that SDSU is beyond those problems. The program at SDSU has had those growing pains and the staff has been able to get to a level of finding the players that fit and perform at the same time.
                              Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I don't want to get into an argument about what team is better when or whatever. But anyone who has watched SDSU play, and USD plays knows that there is more talent on SDSU's team. Most USD fans will even concede that, and it is more then Nate Wolters. Now I agree that other players will have to step up and that is hard to predict just how they will handle the pressure. After next year of course USD will be closer to SDSU as they should be, USD should be improving every year now that their recruits will be full-fledged NCAA members. That generally helps.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                              X