Douple/Bresciani & Summit direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douple/Bresciani & Summit direction

As a NDSU fan, I'd like a somewhat impartial 3rd party view on all this. I mean, SDSU does have a stake in all this being in the Summit, but the UND/NDSU dynamic tends to muck things up a bit, so maybe some of you would have a more unbiased take. The articles haven't been posted at bisonville yet, but I"m sure it will and much discussion will ensue.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/365046/

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even.../group/Sports/

Re: Douple/Bresciani & Summit direction

Originally posted by Mike Vicks Dead PitBulls View Post
    As a NDSU fan, I'd like a somewhat impartial 3rd party view on all this. I mean, SDSU does have a stake in all this being in the Summit, but the UND/NDSU dynamic tends to muck things up a bit, so maybe some of you would have a more unbiased take. The articles haven't been posted at bisonville yet, but I"m sure it will and much discussion will ensue.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/365046/

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even.../group/Sports/
    The first article is he said/he said stuff that is kind of old and forgotten. I think Doople and Bresciani would both like to forget their past interactions, and they are bigger than both. The GF article is a mere update from Breciani point of view and its seems to be spot on.

Comment

I guess I don't have a problem with Douple saying that the Summit League won't take UND as long as the nickname issue is unsettled. He maybe went a little far in saying that some UND officials told him to say that. If that is the Summit League stance, it's not beating up on UND to let them know where they stand in the eyes of the league. I guess I don't remember if Douple was asked the question and he was just answering it or not.
      I find it interesting that most NDSU fans(it seems) don't like UND but their president feels the need to come to their aid. From the way he sounds, you can tell how he'll vote when UND decides to join the Summit.
      I like Oakland in the conference. You have 4 teams out east Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW and Western Illinois. Can't those teams just be travel partners and then it shouldn't be as big of a deal. If you lose Oakland, you will have to schedule 2 more DI basketball games. Are you going to find teams that will come to NDSU. Or can you schedule games on weekends so it doesn't effect class. I think most of the pre-conference weekends are full already so your team might have to travel for 1 away midweek game. Will that help with classes. I guess I don't know scheduling that well so I could be way off.
      I do think that it might be better to get to an even number of conference teams so if there isn't anybody to add losing a team could be what he is talking about. ORU and Oakland were good for the league because they were/are competitive in most sports.
      I think since Bresciani was new he wasn't settled in yet. There are times when new people come in and don't get a feel for things before they stat their opinion. He sounds like he has changed his mind after being around a while and getting a better feel for how things are going.

Comment

My first and second impressions of Kolpack's article were not at all flattering to Bresciani. So I re-read the article yet again, much more slowly.

My third impression after careful re-reading is that there is nothing here. And so, it's perfect summer-time bulletin board flame-bait.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think that, if Douple had it to do over, he would keep his conversation with Kelley over the nickname private.

Comment

If I remember right, Douple was defending the League after UND officials tried to use the Summit League - and throw it under the bus - to advance their desired outcome without having the guts to do it themselves. Kinda like how they have been using SDSU and saying we won't schedule them when that isn't the truth. Being dragged into a controversy that isn't yours and having your reputation take a blow for a problem that isn't yours is one of the many reasons people are gun shy of UND

Comment

For reasons stated by LakeJack, (if I had anything to do with scheduling UND) I would be cautious in my dealings with UND.

Comment

The thread is titled Douple/Bresciani, but some are talking about President Kelly and not Bresciani. Bresciani is the president of NDSU and Kelly is UND president. Bresciani gave Douple bad marks over handling the UND fiasco. I think Kolpack made a big mistake in bringing this whole mess up again, when it should be dying a slow death. Are we coming close to making the same mistake as the NCAA who shipped the Bison Champ banner to UND? Seems like it. At this point I think we have no reason not to rebuild a relationship with UND even though they used us, but they did that for local politics. I dont think our image was tarnished in ND or anywhere else. Time to move on.

Comment

Got this from anygivensaturday.com

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/201...y_other_sports

There are a few "unbiased" posters over there at think Denver would be a good fit for the Summit League, as I think NMSU is the only football team left and the WAC is all but dead. Thought it would be good discussion as we all wait impatiently for Sept. 1st.

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                  X