Ryun Williams leaving USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryun Williams leaving USD

According to the Argus Leader, USD WBB Coach Ryun Williams is taking the head women's basketball coaching position at Colorado State.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

I had the chance to meet Coach Williams a few years ago when he spoke at the South Dakota Mr. and Miss Basketball banquet. A very nice guy who was passionate about his program. I wish him the best of luck in Fort Collins.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Ryun Williams leaving USD

Did NOT see that coming.

I don't know Coach Williams at all, but all reports I've gotten were very good.

Best Luck @ Colorado State.

Comment

Jeremy Hoeck from the Yankton P&D tweeted this last night. CSU with a good hire. Rumor is contract is for money.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Jeremy Hoeck from the Yankton P&D tweeted this last night. CSU with a good hire. Rumor is contract is for money.
        I hope CSU would be able to trump USD in terms of salary and apparently they did and maybe this contract is not a budget buster for CSU. Its going to be tougher for USD to find a replacement with their salary offering, in fact they might have to add some sweetner.

Comment

That's quite a loss, especially when added to the players that they lost to graduation. When it rains, it pours. We've been very fortunate to have stability at the basketball coaching positions for both SDSU teams.

Comment

KDLT is reporting that Chad Lavin will join Williams on his staff. I am surprised at Williams, but STUNNED if the Lavin move is true.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
              KDLT is reporting that Chad Lavin will join Williams on his staff. I am surprised at Williams, but STUNNED if the Lavin move is true.
              I thought lavin had a beef with coaching at d-1 level for some reason.

Tough break for usd for sure.

Wonder who was on their short list?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Wonder who was on their short list?
                Yes Lavin did have issues about coaching D1, but being an assistant might work for him. I dont know how old he is but has to be approaching 60, and needs to work a few more years. I have no idea what he has been doing, but I suspect he got to missing coaching, that is if this rumor has substance.

As far as a short list, reading your sentence you get the impression that USD already hired a replacement. Your verb useage of "was" seems to indicate past tense. I am hardly one to question grammar, but I think you meant "Is". Its a good question though. If they open up for a national search which I believe is state law, there will be plenty of applications.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 05-20-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I thought his use of was; was in reference to csu... its a d1 job at a place that supports womens athletics theyll find someone

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    I thought his use of was; was in reference to csu... its a d1 job at a place that supports womens athletics theyll find someone
                    Yep I meant was for csu. I guess a good point who will also be on usds short list.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

It will be an interesting upcoming season in the Summit. Two new coaches,ORU is gone and everyone other than IUPUI loses significant players to graduation. If healthy,the depth of talent the Jacks have should put them in the drivers seat.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Wonder who was on CSU's short list?
                        Sorry for the misintrepretation, being a local yokel, I naturally thought USD.

Here is an excerpt from the Argus article:

CSU athletic director Jack Graham told The Coloradoan on Friday that he expected a new coach would be announced early next week. The AD interviewed nine candidates, followed by on-campus interviews with the finalists.

“The most important thing is that I wasn't looking for people that were available,” Graham told The Coloradoan. “I was looking for people that I wanted to hire.”

Williams, a 1992 USD graduate, left after 10 years at Wayne State to take over for Chad Lavin in 2008 just as the Coyotes were entering the NCAA Division I transitional phase.

Williams apparently came across very good in his interview as he did in the press conference after being whacked by SDSU.
                        William was a finalist for the SDSU job when we hired interim coach Johnston. I know he came across to the selection committee since a close friend was on that committee. Of all the USD coaches, I like Williams the best, and he had a deadly 3pter in his playing days at USD.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Sorry for the misintrepretation, being a local yokel, I naturally thought USD.

Here is an excerpt from the Argus article:

CSU athletic director Jack Graham told The Coloradoan on Friday that he expected a new coach would be announced early next week. The AD interviewed nine candidates, followed by on-campus interviews with the finalists.

“The most important thing is that I wasn't looking for people that were available,” Graham told The Coloradoan. “I was looking for people that I wanted to hire.”

Williams, a 1992 USD graduate, left after 10 years at Wayne State to take over for Chad Lavin in 2008 just as the Coyotes were entering the NCAA Division I transitional phase.

Williams apparently came across very good in his interview as he did in the press conference after being whacked by SDSU.
                          William was a finalist for the SDSU job when we hired interim coach Johnston. I know he came across to the selection committee since a close friend was on that committee.
                          He seemed to have been a good thing for usd. I am glad we have kept aj all these years. I think he and nagy have job security locked up for a while now. Stig on the other hand probably getting closer to the hot seat. I just think its amazing how both the school and 3 big coaches at sdsu stayed together starting, during and after the transtition when most schools around who have made the leap have changed several big coaching changes and all 3 of ours at D1 have had success getting to the playoffs or winning confrence titles ncaa appearences etc. I really hope all 3 stay for a long time.

Interesting to see what usd does to fill its head coaching job.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                            Be stunned. It's true.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                              Be stunned. It's true.
                              I don't think Lavin was against coaching in D-I, I think he was against coaching at USD if USD was D-I. I think he thought USD had something going at the D-II level and I'm sure he didn't want the headache of transition. I'm surprised he hadn't showed up somewhere else, was he still coaching junior high bball at Vermillion?

Comment

Working...
                              X