Hello 'Yotes, Goodbye Gents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello 'Yotes, Goodbye Gents

Well I would like to extend a welcome to USD for joining the Summit League today. Also I would like to thank Centenary for leaving.

So which is better for the league

1. Adding USD
    2. Centenary Leaving

This is not a slam on USD, but I think Centenary leaving has to be a bigger boost to the league than adding USD. I think the league will improve it's RPI in nearly every sport except baseball with Centenary out of the league. They were never really a threat to win a conference title in any sport. I think this is more a case of addition through subtraction. USD will need a few years to get up to speed, but will be better than Centenary right out of the gate.
    Adding USD to Summit League
    17.24%
    Centenary leaving the Summit League
    82.76%
    Last edited by NorCalJack; 07-01-2011, 03:42 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: Hello 'Yotes, Goodbye Gents

I agree that Centenary leaving is better for the league. They were weak in about all sports. The travel to get there was bad, too. USD is better than they were already and they are just a short trip down the road but most of the other schools that could have been added you could say that about.

Comment

Welcome Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
        Well I would like to extend a welcome to USD for joining the Summit League today. Also I would like to thank Centenary for leaving.

So which is better for the league

1. Adding USD
        2. Centenary Leaving

This is not a slam on USD, but I think Centenary leaving has to be a bigger boost to the league than adding USD. I think the league will improve it's RPI in nearly every sport except baseball with Centenary out of the league. They were never really a threat to win a conference title in any sport. I think this is more a case of addition through subtraction. USD will need a few years to get up to speed, but will be better than Centenary right out of the gate.
        I'd also agree with this in its entirety.

There should be an option 3. Both. Because both are probably equally true, really, but of the two options provided, Centenary leaving automatically improves the Summit League more, simply by their not being a drag on so very many sports.

Centenary was a real drag on the league in a way that USD won't be, even in Coyote_Fan's worst nightmares. USD will be immediately competitive in a couple of sports, and competitive in (I would guess) most or all of their sports within a couple of years. Centenary was not going to be competitive--EVER--in more than a couple of selected sports. USD will be much more competitive across the board in all the sports they participate in, both immediately and down the road. I think with the SU's, Oakland, and ORU, the top of the Summit League will be a crowded place and USD will have to prove that it can crack into that tier. Unlike Centenary, USD is capable of doing it.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
        X