Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Thomas leaves USD...

Per Argus Leader:

Starting guard Jake Thomas has left the University of South Dakota basketball team, Coyotes coach Dave Boots confirmed Monday.

Thomas, a 6-foot-3 shooting guard who averaged 13.6 points a game last season as a sophomore, started 52 games in his two years with the Coyotes, leading the team in 3-pointers made and attempted both seasons....

Full article:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...asketball-team
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Re: Jake Thomas leaves USD...

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    Per Argus Leader:

Starting guard Jake Thomas has left the University of South Dakota basketball team, Coyotes coach Dave Boots confirmed Monday.

Thomas, a 6-foot-3 shooting guard who averaged 13.6 points a game last season as a sophomore, started 52 games in his two years with the Coyotes, leading the team in 3-pointers made and attempted both seasons....

Full article:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...asketball-team
    Going to Marquette. Not sure if he will walk-on or receive a scholarship. At least that's what a little bird told me last night.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

He seemed to be one of their more consistant players. good luck to where ever he goes.

doesnt this leave USD limited at the guard spot.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        He seemed to be one of their more consistant players. good luck to where ever he goes.

doesnt this leave USD limited at the guard spot.
        Certainly a major loss for Dave Boots. Excellent shooter and good rebounder from the the 2 positions.

I'm not totally sure on their guard depth. Charlie Westbrook withdrew from the draft and will be back. He is a dynamic scorer but not a traditional point guard. Louie is a shooter, Boots is a shooter, I think 1 or 2 of the incoming freshman are guards.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Certainly a major loss for Dave Boots. Excellent shooter and good rebounder from the the 2 positions.

I'm not totally sure on their guard depth. Charlie Westbrook withdrew from the draft and will be back. He is a dynamic scorer but not a traditional point guard. Louie is a shooter, Boots is a shooter, I think 1 or 2 of the incoming freshman are guards.
          Do you think when he showed up to talk to NBA scouts and asked what he needed to work on they said: "Well...you basically need to work on EVERYTHING."

I think it's a joke he declared for the draft.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Do you think when he showed up to talk to NBA scouts and asked what he needed to work on they said: "Well...you basically need to work on EVERYTHING."

I think it's a joke he declared for the draft.
            I'm not sure the logic behind it. I don't know the kid at all but according to someone who covers the coyotes Charlie's ultimate goal is to play professionally at the highest level possible. He is on the court to feature his skills as a scorer and is hoping a scout in the stands takes notice and gives him a shot. I don't get the impression that there is a lot of "team first" in his mentality.

As far as getting drafted, he had absolutely no chance so there must be some other motivation, exposure I suppose.

Comment

I'm not sure the logic behind it. I don't know the kid at all but according to someone who covers the coyotes Charlie's ultimate goal is to play professionally at the highest level possible. He is on the court to feature his skills as a scorer and is hoping a scout in the stands takes notice and gives him a shot. I don't get the impression that there is a lot of "team first" in his mentality.

As far as getting drafted, he had absolutely no chance so there must be some other motivation, exposure I suppose.
              I don't know if it's an act or it's how you really are, but at some degree you have to get off the biased perspective and remember there is a human perspective involved. You guys glorify players like Cordova and Palarca leaving the team yet run down another for wanting to pursue his dreams? How is that selfish? I'm just saying, maybe the kid has family members to help out and wants to make a better life for people. Heck, he's been tearing it up on the court and actually had this opportunity so more power to him. No need to get jealous because not a single one of us on this board ever got to go (I'm willing to bet we'd all jump at the chance if by some miracle we were able to).

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                I don't know if it's an act or it's how you really are, but at some degree you have to get off the biased perspective and remember there is a human perspective involved. You guys glorify players like Cordova and Palarca leaving the team yet run down another for wanting to pursue his dreams? How is that selfish? I'm just saying, maybe the kid has family members to help out and wants to make a better life for people. Heck, he's been tearing it up on the court and actually had this opportunity so more power to him. No need to get jealous because not a single one of us on this board ever got to go (I'm willing to bet we'd all jump at the chance if by some miracle we were able to).
                I'm biased but not with Charlie and I've never glorified Cordova or Palarca so when you talk about human perspective I think you show a lack of insight.

In fact, I've commented on Charlie's offensive talent and complemented him before. It was one of the writers covering the coyotes that gave me the previously noted perspective on Charlie. He parlayed a successful juco experience into an opportunity at the DI level and wants to take his talents to a program at the next level. This individual also stated that he felt he had no chance at getting drafted but believed the exposure would be good for Charlie, similar to the large list of other players that declared and then rescinded their desire. The increased number being in large part to the new rules regarding the NCAA and draft status arriving next year.

So, reread my post and point out for me where I was inhumane and find a post where I glorified Cordova and Palarca leaving and I'll take a look at them. In the meantime, best of luck to Mr. Westbrook. Its understandable that coyote fans are a little grumpy today.

Comment

I'm biased but not with Charlie and I've never glorified Cordova or Palarca so when you talk about human perspective I think you show a lack of insight.

In fact, I've commented on Charlie's offensive talent and complemented him before. It was one of the writers covering the coyotes that gave me the previously noted perspective on Charlie. He parlayed a successful juco experience into an opportunity at the DI level and wants to take his talents to a program at the next level. This individual also stated that he felt he had no chance at getting drafted but believed the exposure would be good for Charlie, similar to the large list of other players that declared and then rescinded their desire. The increased number being in large part to the new rules regarding the NCAA and draft status arriving next year.

So, reread my post and point out for me where I was inhumane and find a post where I glorified Cordova and Palarca leaving and I'll take a look at them. In the meantime, best of luck to Mr. Westbrook. Its understandable that coyote fans are a little grumpy today.
                  I'm not a USD fan. I wasn't addressing just your post, but a different thread as well about Charlie (so I apologize). My main point was that people were wishing the two SDSU players who voluntarily left the team well, while seeming to learn toward ill-will toward Charlie (in general).

Comment

Biased? Maybe I guess, but in reality is Charlie Westbrook even one of the top 3 or 4 players in South Dakota? I'd probably put the Schilling kid ahead of him too. If you include players FROM South Dakota as well like Larson, Tveidt, Iverson, etc. then is he even in the top 10?

If Nate Wolters declared for the draft as a junior I'd probably say the same thing I'm saying about this kid. This has nothing to do with him being from USD or jealousy. I'm not sure how Cordova and Palarca got into this either.

Edit: Here's another example. Ralph Sampson III declared for the NBA draft and was set on going pro until the last minute he decided to stay in school. I'm a huge Gopher fan and I thought if he left early it was completely ridiculous. He MAYBE would have been drafted. Maybe I'm jealous of him too.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      Edit: Here's another example. Ralph Sampson III declared for the NBA draft and was set on going pro until the last minute he decided to stay in school. I'm a huge Gopher fan and I thought if he left early it was completely ridiculous. He MAYBE would have been drafted. Maybe I'm jealous of him too.
                      This Gopher fan will second that.

Keep in mind that the deadline for the draft will be earlier next season. Underclassmen will have to declare for the draft by the first day of the spring signing period, which is usually in mid-April. It would be April 10 next season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ndy/id/6354169

Comment

First of all this is a thread about Jake Thomas leaving. I'll say this, when you are in transition its amazing how many more players get "homesick". Best of luck for him at Marquette however if their coach leaves for Texas A&M I wonder if that will change anything.

As far as a player putting his name in for the draft, I don't know the kid, but unless you have a serious chance of getting drafted I think its a joke.

As far as Cordova and Palarca I'm not sure what they have to do with it, I think the reason people accepted it is because they had both had kids and both moved away (cordova after he graduated in December). It wasn't like they transfered, or just didn't want to play.

Comment

Heard about the Jake Thomas thing awhile ago. Tough loss for USD. He had absolutely ridiculous range. It'll be a tough move for him too cause not many coaches give players the offensive freedom that Dave Boots does. Good luck to him though; I enjoyed watching him play the few times that I got the opportunity.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm not a USD fan. I wasn't addressing just your post, but a different thread as well about Charlie (so I apologize). My main point was that people were wishing the two SDSU players who voluntarily left the team well, while seeming to learn toward ill-will toward Charlie (in general).
                            I see that when I read your post again. I agree with you there are likely many factors that contributed to his decision. In the end, it's his decision.

As for the 2 that left SDSU, it was their decision and as a fan you have to accept that.

Comment

Jake Thomas was my favorite Yote on the team. He was a good player but i don't think a great player. The biggest reason that Thomas was brought in was to hit from the outside and in all honesty he just wasn't filling it up from the 3 point line. Most say he is a great shooter but he struggled almost all year long. Without the three pointer dropping he was an average player at best.
                              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                              X