IPFW, USD women in WBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPFW, USD women in WBI

IPFW and USD are in the Women's Basketball Invitational.

http://www.thesummitleague.org//View...CLID=205116271

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...03150336/1002/

Before people freak (and yes I still hate IPFW yada yada yada), I quote myself from another thread:
    If you're an intelligent SDSU fan, you're rooting as hard as your little jackrabbit heart can root for Oakland to make a run deep, DEEP into the NCAA tournament.

Why?

Money, my deal Holmes, money!!!

Sure, we'll fight like cats and dogs (or jackrabbits and coyotes) within the league, but when you're playing a game or a match outside the league, no real, thinking jackrabbit fan won't be rooting 100% FOR the coyotes--or for any one of our Summit League (or MVFC) conference-mates to beat every single one of their non-conference opponents.

Ever.

Money, dude.

Money.
    Now, it's not quite as operative on the women's basketball side, but it's still there--if nothing else to continue to advance the ongoing project of winning respect for the Summit League as a halfway decent women's basketball league. The better the Summit League gets as a conference, the better the league champion's tournament seed will be in the future. You gotta think long-term here. For women's basketball, it's not about the money, it's about the respect.

So, even though I hate IPFW, go Dons. And yeah, go Yotes, too.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: IPFW, USD women in WBI

IPFW lost to Cleveland State 73-62 after leading 32-29 at halftime.

Comment

So much for that respect thing, huh Filbert?

Dang 'dons making The Summit look bad.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        So much for that respect thing, huh Filbert?

Dang 'dons making The Summit look bad.
        And so, I hate IPFW. Stupid extinct elephants.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          And so, I hate IPFW. Stupid extinct elephants.
          And that is what's known as "going full circle"

Go Jacks!!

Comment

USD won their first round game over Idaho last night 62-47.

They will now play Cal State Bakersfield in the second round.
            http://www.womensbasketballinvitatio...racket2011.pdf

Should be a nice boost to the conference next year dropping Centenary and adding another competitive team in USD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              USD won their first round game over Idaho last night 62-47.

They will now play Cal State Bakersfield in the second round.
              http://www.womensbasketballinvitatio...racket2011.pdf

Should be a nice boost to the conference next year dropping Centenary and adding another competitive team in USD.
              Attendence was 909 for the game. It cost USD $10,000 to host the game (ticket cost was $10/adults and $5/students). Wonder if they regretting getting a home game (they were forced into a home game because Idaho's arena is under construction).

*post not meant as smack

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Attendence was 909 for the game. It cost USD $10,000 to host the game (ticket cost was $10/adults and $5/students). Wonder if they regretting getting a home game (they were forced into a home game because Idaho's arena is under construction).

*post not meant as smack
                And that is the announced attendance, again, not smack. Post-season women's basketball is not about profit, that is for sure.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

*post not meant as smack
                  Big attendence difference for USD's first post-season home game and SDSU's first post-season games. Even with reconfiguration of Frost, those two WBB games made the 10 ten best crowds ever at Frost for a women's game.

Comment

I was at the game last night and the 909 is most likely a very real number. At tip-off I counted the number in the top row, averaged it out against the rest of the rows and came up with a number. Did the same thing for the lower chair back seats and then the football area seats. The announced attendance is very close to the 850 I approximated. Again, that was at tip-off of a 6:00 game, more were still coming in.

In speaking with members of the AD staff last night, they were just happy to give the ladies another home game and a chance to continue playing. If they broke even or made a profit, even better.

I am not sure, but I don't think Idaho would even want to host if their facility wasn't under construction. I think their attendance is dismal all year. I checked their last 4 conference games of the season and 404 was the highest attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by yotefan90 View Post
                      In speaking with members of the AD staff last night, they were just happy to give the ladies another home game and a chance to continue playing. If they broke even or made a profit, even better.
                      That is what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the inside information.

Comment

I was at the game last night and the 909 is most likely a very real number. At tip-off I counted the number in the top row, averaged it out against the rest of the rows and came up with a number. Did the same thing for the lower chair back seats and then the football area seats. The announced attendance is very close to the 850 I approximated. Again, that was at tip-off of a 6:00 game, more were still coming in.

I am not sure, but I don't think Idaho would even want to host if their facility wasn't under construction. I think their attendance is dismal all year. I checked their last 4 conference games of the season and 404 was the highest attendance.
                        I think it was a good choice by your AD to play in the tournament. Your women having been playing well as of late and deserve the opportunity to keep it going.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Congrats to the Coyotes. As filbert reminds us: we want Summit teams to be successful. It wouldn't be a bad thing if people thought "darn, we have to play one of those South Dakota schools" (so long as they remember the Jackrabbits are the better of the two )

Comment

Funny that the attendance was brought up here. I mentioned that on the USD board, went critical with my opinion and was banned without really breaking any rules but that is the nature of the administrator over there. Coyote Fans are generally lackadasical when it comes to attendance. It takes an earth moving occurance to get the fan base excited and most of them get very offended when someone brings up the lack of support. The Yotes fans have a real problem with the truth and that is that they don't have a real passion for their sports like SDSU has. Jacks fans should be proud of their following and if there was one thing I definately wish was true about USD would be to have more passion within the fan base. I am really starting to doubt how many USD fans will truley support the Yotes when they get into the Summit tourney. Question isn't whether USD will be able to get close to the Jacks support but rather will USD be able to outdraw the number of Bison fans that have made/will make the trip to Sioux Falls.

When I try to compare USD to SDSU people get very angry at that and out comes one excuse after another. What USD people won't do is to create the auro of not having it be acceptable to lose to SDSU or other Summit programs. I get the impression that it is very unacceptable to lose to USD from a SDSU perspective. There is a big different between the two schools. USD just wants to play SDSU with the result of the game really being a secondary priority. For SDSU people they expect to beat USD and care about beating them much more than USD cares about winning those games. As things stand right now USD will win every now and then in head to head battle across all sports but unless the attitude changes down in Vermillion SDSU is in no real threat from USD to have the red and white have a better overall athletic program. It hasn't happened in the past and likely won't start anytime soon.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Yotefan90,

That is kind of worrisome. If the AD staff was ok with the attendance there probably won't be much urgency going forward to get things to improve. If would be nice if they would expect more than 900. I guess I just think differently in that I don't see 900 as an acceptable number. Sayler has definately done some good things at USD since coming on board. He really needs to focus on what can be done to improve fan interest because that job is a very tough one right now.

My suggestion is to create a work study program on campus where a few students are hired part time to simply promote Coyote Athletics. Have them make phone calls, go door to door etc but whatever it is they could very easily do the legwork to just simply create more buzz. I have already been labeled the scapegoat of the USD fanbase but I could definately think of some creative ideas to improve fan interest.
                              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
                              X