Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omaha Herald: UNO plans to move DI, will drop football and wrestling

Wow, what a crazy development....
    The University of Nebraska at Omaha appears bound for Division I in athletics, and the chance to compete at the highest level of college sports may well come at the expense of its tradition-rich football and wrestling programs.

UNO Chancellor John Christensen and Athletic Director Trev Alberts said Saturday they are recommending to the NU Board of Regents that UNO join the Summit League, a 10-team conference that competes at the NCAA Division I level. League officials on Friday extended an official invitation, UNO's ticket to Division I.

But as part of a department reorganization that would accompany the step up in competition, the UNO leaders are proposing to drop football and wrestling — sports not sanctioned for competition in the Summit League.

Faced with growing expenses and flat revenues that caused increasing infusions of state dollars into its budget, the athletic department just couldn't continue on its current course, campus leaders said. That subsidy growth has come as the university has made millions of other budget cuts to academic and other programs across campus, and it's facing more now.
    http://www.omaha.com/article/2011031...-and-wrestling

UNO plans move to Division I, will drop football and wrestling

Omaha World Herald
    UNO Chancellor John Christensen and Athletic Director Trev Alberts said Saturday they are recommending to the NU Board of Regents that UNO join the Summit League, a 10-team conference that competes at the NCAA Division I level. League officials on Friday extended an official invitation, UNO's ticket to Division I.
    Woah, Nellie!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: Omaha Herald: UNO plans to move DI, will drop football and wrestling

On the one hand, it really gives the Summit a boost towards real parity with the Valley.

On the other hand . . . WOAH!!!!
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wow, UNO's football program operates at a $1.3 million deficit in DII, there is just no way it could have made the jump without probably losing double that. It sounds like they have the support from the power players in Nebraska, so I guess welcome UNO.

Comment

With all the rumors and rumblings coming from the conference tournament in SF, you had to know that something was brewing.

But it's still kind of head-spinning to see it come so very fast.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Yeah, the league definitely didn't mess around but UNO is a perfect fit, especially sans football so I can see why it happened.

UNO will need some cover in getting rid of those athletic teams, now they can sell DI and talk about playing Nebraska and Creighton in hoops and other sports. Having a Summit invite in hand gives them more firepower in doing that.
            Last edited by FargoBison; 03-13-2011, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Holy Schneikies!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

holy crap!!! I can not believe how Fast that happened. anyone else suffering from whiplash?

Comment

Serious Question: Does this make UND look even more dumb regarding Big Sky, Summit?

Comment

Re: UNO plans move to Division I, will drop football and wrestling

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Omaha World Herald

Woah, Nellie!
                    Keith Jackson could have said it better. Well I am not surprised by this developement. UNO having flat revenues is not news, its been that way for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                      Serious Question: Does this make UND look even more dumb regarding Big Sky, Summit?
                      Yes it does, but those people up north are so wise that it will take decades to figure that one out.

Comment

Wow is right. UNO dropping football and wrestling probably puts to rest fears that UNL would block the move up. I think that was one thing people pointed at that would keep them from moving.

I have to admit I wasn't very warm to the idea about adding UNO to the Summit when I first heard about it, but they do fit perfectly in our footprint and have had some success in DII. Hopefully they can drum up support in Omaha for the move and help raise the bar of the Summit.

Comment

It sounds like their wrestling program has had success - might be an opportunity for the Jacks to pick up some immediate experienced talent.

Comment

so much for recruitment battles for football players in the Omaha area with UNO going D 1 without football.

Comment

I'll say it. I was against our move to D1. It has been a pretty good thing however.
                              I said it then, and it's not far from fruition, we will end up in a glorified NCC..., and the net result will be more costs. Essentially renaming DII to D1 AA thus only really changing the name and the expense. Now, I have learned over the past couple of years the level of competition has increased and the games are arguably more fun to watch.

There have been undertones of the "BCS conferences" breaking away... I wonder how long until that happens, and the D1AA and Mid-major sports will essentially be the new D11?

I know also that I'm over simplifying this in a lot of areas (we now offer more scholarships ect...)

Did anybody else ever share these thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X