Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Womens Semi - Oak vs ORU

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
    I recall during the 2007-08 season a senior for Chadron State tore her ACL a few games into the season and was out for about a month. Everyone was surprised when she returned back to the court toward the end of the season (with her knee brace and all) but she finished the year out playing limited minutes in games without any further injury. I'm not saying that's the case here but I've seen it is possible somehow.
    There is no doubt there have been athletes that have returned from knee injuries during a season. But Bigham is a Sophomore and entered both of these games when they were blow-outs. I think that is the most puzzling part. She has two years remaining and was put into 2 games when she didn't need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      There is no doubt there have been athletes that have returned from knee injuries during a season. But Bigham is a Sophomore and entered both of these games when they were blow-outs. I think that is the most puzzling part. She has two years remaining and was put into 2 games when she didn't need to be.
      Agree.

Many times an athlete will compensate for an injury which can cause added stress and other injuries. I know that she played limited minutes, but if I were a coach I wouldn't even risk it.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Congrats on making the Championship game tomorrow!

Just so you know, Jaci and her family went to their own physician and were told that she could do no further damage to her knee and that playing with limited mobility was an option. She had a similar injury in high school in her other knee that kept her team from winning a state title as a junior. She wanted to be apart as much as possible so Coach Fink granted their request and gave her a few minutes towards the end of each game.

I know ORU's philosphy on scoring as many points as possible has been criticized by a writer for the Argus Leader and he's entitled to his own opinion, but it shocks me to hear someone in NCAA Div 1 sports taking issue with that. These aren't children playing in a recreation league. It is not the coaches responsibility to make sure the other teams players feelings aren't hurt. ORU took a lot of lumps in the beginning of the season at the hands of many BCS schools that didn't pull their starters out until 2 minutes left in the game while they were up by 25pts. We didn't complain then, and I know Fink is not complaining now. Oakland outplayed them in every facet of the game and they have to deal with it.

Anyway, nice to chat with some of you on here. Good luck again on tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenEagle1 View Post
          Congrats on making the Championship game tomorrow!

Just so you know, Jaci and her family went to their own physician and were told that she could do no further damage to her knee and that playing with limited mobility was an option. She had a similar injury in high school in her other knee that kept her team from winning a state title as a junior. She wanted to be apart as much as possible so Coach Fink granted their request and gave her a few minutes towards the end of each game.

I know ORU's philosphy on scoring as many points as possible has been criticized by a writer for the Argus Leader and he's entitled to his own opinion, but it shocks me to hear someone in NCAA Div 1 sports taking issue with that. These aren't children playing in a recreation league. It is not the coaches responsibility to make sure the other teams players feelings aren't hurt. ORU took a lot of lumps in the beginning of the season at the hands of many BCS schools that didn't pull their starters out until 2 minutes left in the game while they were up by 25pts. We didn't complain then, and I know Fink is not complaining now. Oakland outplayed them in every facet of the game and they have to deal with it.

Anyway, nice to chat with some of you on here. Good luck again on tomorrow night.
          What's his philosophy on kicking basketballs into the stands when he loses a close game?

Just wondering.

Comment

Another side of the ORU coach.

My son was one of the ball boys for the first 2 Summit League tournaments. He loves to talk basketball and the coaches of the teams not playing can sit at the tables next to the ball boys so he had the opportunity to visit with many of the coaches. He said the the ORU coach was probably the easiest to talk to.
            USD Fan

Comment

You see, Oklahoma is a football state and Jerry is a football fan. I didn't see it, but I could imagine that when he punted that ball he was having football withdrawals and envisioned it was a football and the stands where the uprights lol!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenEagle1 View Post
                You see, Oklahoma is a football state and Jerry is a football fan. I didn't see it, but I could imagine that when he punted that ball he was having football withdrawals and envisioned it was a football and the stands where the uprights lol!
                Nothing wrong with kicking the basketball into the top row of the upper seating, Nick Nolte did the same thing in the Blue Chips, but that was a movie, Fink did it for real. . Sometimes we learn from movies.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                  Is it possible that the tear is so bad that it isn't expected to be reparable? Maybe they know something we don't? Otherwise, why risk it?
                  I believe TV said in one of his chats that the ACL was completely torn. It seems that if that were the case,that more strain would be put on the other ligaments .

Comment

If you were there, then you saw that she was wearing a "Bionic Knee" hence limiting mobility...

To GoldenEagle1 first of all welcome, second of all running up the score is just not sportsman like... (nor is shooting a last second 3 with 10 seconds left when the game is over, but that's a different discussion) it was unnecessary. I'm sure there were well qualified seniors and juniors that he could have played at the end of that game. instead, in his most selfish of acts he keeps the leading scorer in the country on the floor. Opening up the door for an unnecessary injury most likely to come in a situation such as this. (see: possible chippy foe that has seniors with nothing to loose, and may want to make a statement)
                    Also she has to run back and forth all the time wearing her out for no good reason. it's lose lose and that was in fact the outcome of that choice. a loss. Kevi was dogging it 1/4 of the way through the Oakland game and your coach was too proud to spell her.

Kevi is a stellar player surrounded by other great players.. but they as a team they remind me of the miami heat.... mostly due to coaching.

Comment

Slosho,

Thanks for the welcome, and good luck in the Championship game tonight.

Comment

Working...
                      X