Summit game comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit game comments

First day: Good entertainment value except for the ORU women blowing out WIU.

Women:
    ORU 108, WIU 68
    IPFW 68, UMKC 53

ORU not perfect but showed signs of perfection...its future is bright, too, with some excellent young talent. Luper deserves all accolades she gets. ORU's coach Fink exhibited some jerky behavior: 108 points and Luper's still in there (Bigham entered the game very late--yep, fully-severed-ACL-protected by a brace). Was Fink looking for records (got one with the 108 score, beating prior 102 high-score conference game record, got another with 42 field goals made-- did he want the three-point record set by SDSU couple years ago at 13? he didn't get that one but he had his long snipers in the game to the end.)

IPFW v. UMKC game was okay much of the first half but UMKC frayed in the second half. UMKC has two freshman towers that should be impact players in the next three years. They're not shy about mixing it up under the basket...one's 6-5 and the other is 6-3. UMKC is a team to watch.

Men:
    Oakland 82, SUU 66
    ORU 72, NDSU 65

Oakland is clearly the best in the conference. I know they're beatable but day in and day out, they're just a notch above every other team. This game got sloppy at times.

The ORU v NDSU game was the most entertaining game of the first day. As is often the case, the final margin of victory tells nothing. No matter what the actual score showed, this was a de facto one-pointer for most of the final few minutes.

ORU has better talent...is NDSU one of those teams that drags the other team down to its level? ORU's Morrison can do better and he has one season left. Newcomer of the year, ORU's Roundtree, did some freshman things but he's a guy who will be tough to deal with for three more years (anybody remember the first-generation Nintendo Game "Double Dribble"? Remember the sound if you tried to dunk but just bounced the ball off the rim? Roundtree did that late in the game and it was pretty funny. He had an uncontested breakaway and somehow blew the jamb...then, on the other end of the court he fouled a guy hard and went down, might've hurt his back a little).

NDSU sorely needs guards. ORU could get away with poor play at times because NDSU didn't require anything better. NDSU's bright spot -- and it is a very bright spot -- is Travon Wright. The guy is a big-time player and he has three more years in which he'll likely add size and strength.

The second game was a demonstration of what we've watched all season: take Oakland out of the equation and seeds 2-5 or 6 are pretty close.

Re: Summit game comments

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    No matter what the actual score showed, this was a de facto one-pointer for most of the final few minutes.
    Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    take Oakland out of the equation and seeds 2-5 or 6 are pretty close.
    So you're saying that the #2 seed beats the #7 seed in a "de facto one-pointer", but that's not "pretty close"?

Comment

Hando: just seeing if you're reading. But, yeah, I don't think NDSU is close to ORU. I'm aware of the regular season results between the teams and the great battle at the Summit League but my opinion is unchanged: ORU is a much better team overall than NDSU. NDSU somehow pulls ORU down and it turns into a dog fight. Credit NDSU for the ability to do that. NDSU is certainly tenacious (but so is Jack Black's band).
      Last edited by JackJD; 03-07-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

NDSU wants to get into a half court game and grind. That is exactly how you want to play ORU and Oakland as well. Problem is we lack the playmaker to win a game in crunch time, so we grind with these teams, play them just how we want to play them but lack the punch needed to pull out the win against them.

So are we close to ORU? Maybe not but since we dictate the style of game that is played we aren't that far away from them either.

Comment

I've mentioned it before. NDSU isn't going anywhere until we find a point guard and SDSU isn't going anywhere until they find an athlete over 6'4 who is athletic and can play down low.

I like our chances of finding a solid point guard before SDSU finds an athletic big guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbison View Post
            I've mentioned it before. NDSU isn't going anywhere until we find a point guard and SDSU isn't going anywhere until they find an athlete over 6'4 who is athletic and can play down low.

I like our chances of finding a solid point guard before SDSU finds an athletic big guy.
            Jordan Dykstra fits your description. SDSU has less problems than NDSU, I'd say. One team is trending up, and the other team is NDSU
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              Jordan Dykstra fits your description. SDSU has less problems than NDSU, I'd say. One team is trending up, and the other team is NDSU
              Not really, SDSU needs a scraper...somebody that will throw their weight around in the paint and has a little bit of an edge to their game. But yeah that player is easier to find than a guard that can win games in crunch time, which is what NDSU is looking for.

Comment

I was impressed with Dystra's play tonight. He took it right at Oakland all game long. His defense has to improve, but he's a true frosh; I think he will be a force next year. The best three players for SDSU tonight were Chad White (freshman) Jordan Dykstra (freshman) and Nate Wolters (sophomore). I think we will be alright.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I guess well find out next year when tray and dykstra are both playing the 4. I meant an athletic post. Not a 6'9 guy who wants to shoot 3 pointers all day. A guy who can jump, rebound and score on the block. And even dunk. This does not sound like the dykstra kid at all.

Comment

I guess well find out next year when tray and dykstra are both playing the 4. I meant an athletic post. Not a 6'9 guy who wants to shoot 3 pointers all day. A guy who can jump, rebound and score on the block. And even dunk. This does not sound like the dykstra kid at all.
                    Dykstra averaged 15.3 pts and 5.5 boards a game over the last 10 contests while only playing 20 minutes a game. If you were at the games this weekend you would know he can rebound and score on the block. As an added bonus, he's 6'9" tall and currently has the 4th best shooting percentage in the nation from 3 pt land at 51.5%.

I agree he isn't a true 4 and definitely isn't a 5, but he played great as a freshman and has the potential to be one of the best players in the Summit over the next three seasons.

Comment

We all know what both of our teams need. And if each one gets it, we'll be right up there with ORU, who is going to be flat out filthy next year, and Oakland.

Dykstra maybe would have played a #3 at Iowa St. But I can live with him at the #4. And he can dunk, he threw one down last night. Just not with the ridiculous hops of TrayVonn.

I like NDSU's post guys, really like them. They're going to be a pain in the Jacks @ss on the boards for the next 3 years. But the PG with the quirky hitch while he dribbles and Felt are less than desirable.

And the Bison guys are right on. We have a dirty guy in Callahan , but refs won't let him stay in the game if he gets aggressive at all and if Fiegen is going to play the #5 for the next couple of years, they're going to give up a billion second chance points.

Both teams are close. Closer than UMKC, W. Illinois, IPFW, So. Utah, and incoming USD. Even though the Bison finished behind a couple of those teams this year, I think really they were better except for that one spot, the 10 games (or whatever it was) they lost under 5 points tells that story.

Comment

I would like to hear more about your athletic young bigs on a losing team that didn't even sniff post season awards... But boy, Tray can really dunk. Good for him.

You seem to have formed your opinions about Jordan Dykstra and SDSU based on the two times we played this year. That is not an accurate representation of our players.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

SDSU needs a big man who can play defense, rebound, and block shots.

Any added offense will be a bonus. They already know how to score.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            SDSU needs a big man who can play defense, rebound, and block shots.

Any added offense will be a bonus. They already know how to score.

Agreed, actually two guys like this would be nice.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Doesn't look like a very big crowd at the Arena tonight from what I saw on ESPN. Still not bad considering no local teams playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X