Summit vs Great West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit vs Great West

Those are top schools but that doesn't mean it will always be that way. It's going to take other programs to raise their game but it's certainly possible to get there. Not many NDSU fans would have said that SDSU would take over in the football rivalry and not many SDSU fans would have said that NDSU would take over in the basketball rivalry. That is just how things go through time.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      One thing I will say that I think is true for both the Jacks and the Yotes is that the talent level isn't as good around the area making it difficult for both to get the talent to match other teams. One thing about the NCC that is different from D1 ball is that the talent there was just too slow so the coaches didn't have too worry so much about how to match up with the quicker type players like maybe other D2 schools saw a bit more. Good size but not good athletisism so when USD and SDSU got to the elite 8 it showed.

In all honesty I have seen a much bigger talent difference in the jump to D1 basketball than I see in football.
      I'm not sure about the talent level in the area being 'not good enough'. SDSU's current roster is probably more 'local' now that at the latter D2 years. currently being 5th in the conference may seem mediocre, but we are short a few scholarship players. If you consider the following 4 local players:

Anthony Cordova (SDSU - left with one year of eligibility).
      James Ganstra (WIU - left with one year of eligibility) (HS in MN)
      Sam Willard (Pacific) (Pierre, HS)
      colten Iverson (Minn) (Yankton, HS)

Ganstra, Willard & Iverson all had offers from SDSU & at least made campus visits. If you put any 1 of those 4 players on the current SDSU roster, we could be looking at an 11-4 conference mark right now instead of 9-6. Give us 2 of them, and we could compete with Oakland using completely 'local' talent. The key is landing those recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post

Ganstra, Willard & Iverson all had offers from SDSU & at least made campus visits. If you put any 1 of those 4 players on the current SDSU roster, we could be looking at an 11-4 conference mark right now instead of 9-6. Give us 2 of them, and we could compete with Oakland using completely 'local' talent. The key is landing those recruits.
        Not sure that the Cordova that showed up most of last year would make the Jacks much better and Granstra was a big body that took up space,but wasn't a great player. Now Iverson and Willard are a different story - either one would make the Jacks better.

Comment

Keeping Micheal Twedt in state instead of losing him to NDSU would have helped as well.

Comment

Hey guys, we may not get that one player each year (Mike Miller, Colton Iverson, etc.) that goes to a Big 10 or Big 12 school, but we're doing a great job at getting the bulk of our "local" players who can make us a winning Summit League team. I don't think they have to have a SD address. Look at Sargent (S Sioux City), Moss (Brandon), Fiegen and White (Madison), Wolters (St. Cloud), Dykstra and Heemstra (Rock Valley) and Carlson (Brookings). I consider anything in a 200-mile radius as our local area. And if we can get to the top of the Summit and go dancing, I think we will even have a shot at those occasional "blue-chippers" out of South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Not sure that the Cordova that showed up most of last year would make the Jacks much better and Granstra was a big body that took up space,but wasn't a great player. Now Iverson and Willard are a different story - either one would make the Jacks better.
              Obviously it is a dream made of pipes, but if either Willard or Iverson were added to the roster we have now and we would be in the top two in the SL, guaranteed and I think we could take out Oakland.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Hey guys, we may not get that one player each year (Mike Miller, Colton Iverson, etc.) that goes to a Big 10 or Big 12 school, but we're doing a great job at getting the bulk of our "local" players who can make us a winning Summit League team. I don't think they have to have a SD address. Look at Sargent (S Sioux City), Moss (Brandon), Fiegen and White (Madison), Wolters (St. Cloud), Dykstra and Heemstra (Rock Valley) and Carlson (Brookings). I consider anything in a 200-mile radius as our local area. And if we can get to the top of the Summit and go dancing, I think we will even have a shot at those occasional "blue-chippers" out of South Dakota.
                I agree and I think progress will continue to be made. The team has made continuous progress and will be more attractive to those types of players as we continue to win more and the Frost crowds return. Once we make an NCAA tourney, our stock will go up tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Unfortunately we are going to be missing out on a local player in Cedric Lang that is going to UTEP. I'm not aware of how good Lang is, but he's the type of player SDSU needs to land. It's somewhat unrealistic to have a local kid turn down a Big 10 offer for SDSU, but we need to land those fringe players that are mid-major level.

Not to slight Lang as UTEP is a pretty good program and C-USA is a step up from the Summit.

Comment

We need to stop thinking that SDSU has "failed" every time a local kid decides to go elsewhere to play. Some kids want to go to school in a different part of the country,or get away from home or they may have friends or family in that area..It doesn't always mean that they don't like the school,the coaching staff or the team.

Comment

Too bad SDSU never landed Carroll Hardy. You need to google this one. We cry and ring our hands all day and we have who we have. Its time to discuss something of merit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Too bad SDSU never landed Carroll Hardy. You need to google this one. We cry and ring our hands all day and we have who we have. Its time to discuss something of merit.
                        If I remember correctly, he was the only person who ever pinch hit for Ted Williams.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

As of today, the Summit league is 1 of only 4 mid-majors with 5 men's teams in the top 150 of the Sagarin ratings. The Great West isn't 1 of the 4.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I'm not sure that Cordova desrves all of the criticism that he gets on here. I know many think he underperformed due to bing a pre-season second team all conference pick, but personally I think he was was a valuable roll-player that would fit a much needed roll this year.

08-09 29.4 min/g 12 pts 6.7 rebs
                            09-10 22.2 min/g 8.6 pts 4.9 rebs

Better team depth & injuries were a large part of those numbers being what they are.

In 5 of our 6 league losses, NDSU, @IUPUI, ORU, UMKC, @ORU. We lost in large part to not being able to get rebounds on either end of the court at the end of close games. With more depth in the post it would allow us to go to a 'big' lineup in late game situations to help secure defensive rebounds. Also, we have not had any kind of interior scoring presence to put pressure on opposing bigs to get them in foul trouble. I think if Cordova could have given us even the numbers from his junior year, we win at least two more of those games.

Comment

I'm not sure that Cordova desrves all of the criticism that he gets on here. I know many think he underperformed due to bing a pre-season second team all conference pick, but personally I think he was was a valuable roll-player that would fit a much needed roll this year.

Better team depth & injuries were a large part of those numbers being what they are.

In 5 of our 6 league losses, NDSU, @IUPUI, ORU, UMKC, @ORU. We lost in large part to not being able to get rebounds on either end of the court at the end of close games. With more depth in the post it would allow us to go to a 'big' lineup in late game situations to help secure defensive rebounds. Also, we have not had any kind of interior scoring presence to put pressure on opposing bigs to get them in foul trouble. I think if Cordova could have given us even the numbers from his junior year, we win at least two more of those games.
                              And Heemstra could have redshirted building even more depth for the future.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

General board consensus says unless a player averages 20 points or 10 rebounds, they cannot be a valuable part of the team.

Guys like Feigen and Carlson, as well as others in the past like Palarca and Engen, have all been called out as less than DI caliber players on this board despite bringing tremendous value to the team.

A player does not need to put up gaudy numbers to contribute to the team. I think coach Nagy would probably say that a guy like Peyton Tivis is pretty important to this team, while most posters/fans could take or leave him.

We've always had guys who averaged 5pts and 2 rebounds for their careers and nobody thought much of it. The difference is we were winning a lot more in those days. We're getting there.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X