NDSU resignation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU resignation

Coach Venia was an assistant coach for a very well respected head coach who had led Marysville to state titles many times. He started lose and was fired. Venia became coach. Apparantly, according to people close to the situation, he chose to do things his way, not start starters from the year before for lack of commitment etc. This pissed off those players and their parents so they decided to set him up. There was a lot of disrespect for the coach by some of the players through the season and this was their move to get him fired, push him till he broke. Many others on the team were disappointed he resigned. He resigned and continued teaching in the school system and I believe he moved to Texas where he started coaching again. He was very respected as an defensive coordinator and as a teacher before and after the incident. He was disciplining the players and this was one of the reasons to get him out.

Comment

You've pointed out the problem: the parents and their snotty kids. (The court system doesn't treat very well parents like that, and their snotty kids.)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
        Interesting read with high school and a few different levels of college coaches thoughts.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/
        Yes I was about to post the link and JamesJack beat me to it. A very good article and coaching is very much a thankless sport. What I am drawing from this article is that the coach of the NDSU Volleyball team had been warned, and apparently he saw the hand writing was on the wall and he left before he was fired. The hand writing in this case would be potential complaints, that the Assistant AD Dorn was not aware of as she seemed surprised by the resignation. I dont think the surprise part is mentioned in this article, but in some of the blogs conducted by the Forum.

Comment

I noticed the "old school" apologists in this thread failed to mention John Wooden, probably the greatest coach of all time. Couldn't much different from the likes of Woody Hayes. Kids are softer today, so IMO coaches shouldn't have to yell and scream and shove and physically intimidate to get through.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Wow, Erich was no Woody Hayes or Bear Bryant and their coaching styles should not be mentioneed in the same topic.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
              Wow, Erich was no Woody Hayes or Bear Bryant and their coaching styles should not be mentioneed in the same topic.
              I think this discussion degenerated into a general sort of 'yelling and grabbing as acceptable coaching methods' thing. Erich wasn't a football coach in Michigan either.

Comment

Working...
              X