Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meierkort

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Ed has some Wacker/Brewster tendencies. It's hard to know what's true and what's just a bunch of bluster.

I think Mike and Stu handle him pretty well. It was an interesting episode of Sports Web.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing USD in the MVFC. Good rivalry game. Short drive every other year. But I don't think it's going to happen for a while.
    I thought it was an interesting show. Hard to make any thing of the MVFC comments, but I suspect, Dale Lennon probably would breathe a little easier with an weaker east division, but who knows. I would file it under beer talk.

Just curious why Stu has yet to have John Stieglemeier on his show.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
      Not to be nitpicky but his name is Cichos and (i think) was pronounced correctly by Ed.

edited: since i didn't pay too close attention to the webcast.
      I am wrong and admit the same. Name is Cichos but pronounced CHICKUS. Ed got it wrong. My bad and will now go in the corner
      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        That said, I'd prefer to hear USD admin approaching that possibility as a huge favor to them
        Shocking.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          Shocking.
          To think of it as anything other than a big favor for USD or UND to get into the MVFC is plain arrogance. Hell it was a big favor for us and NDSU to get in, and I would say that NDSU and SDSU had a better pedigree from transition. Just because a bunch of old time "old NCC" lovers want to bring back the old rivalries to be played every year, doesn't mean that anyone else in the conference (or even here) give a hoot about it.

Personally I am very against a two division MVFC. There is no real purpose to it other than watering down the league. And with playoffs in there, there is not any real time for a championship game, which would make the MVFC into the western CAA. Lots of teams, and chest thumping, about getting in a bunch of teams into the playoffs when you have a buttload of teams in the conference, with no true decided champion because not everyone plays everyone. The only conferences that have a championship game of some sort don't send their top two teams into the playoffs. And I doubt that the NCAA will back the playoffs up so that UND and USD can join and the MVFC can have a championship game.
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I'm with Thumper on this one. I think it's okay to schedule USD in football when it works for us (and them) but I don't want to see the Valley expand. It would be a nice rivalry game if USD was in a different conference.

Comment

I watched about 2 minutes of the Argus Leader video yesterday and Meierkort started off stating that it will be a more difficult game against U of M than what SDSU had to face. They said that SDSU faced U of M at the end of the year and that they did not have to face the U of M's best player. USD has to open against U of M and they will have their full compliment of players.

It just sounded like Meirerkort was already making excuses for those that want to compare scores, in case the U of M rolls the 'Yotes.

The fact is NDSU has beaten the U and SDSU gave them a good run for their money, so USD better be competitive and not pull a UNI.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Just curious why Stu has yet to have John Stieglemeier on his show.
                Because 40 minutes of Stig would be boring.

Not that Stig's a bad guy, but he plays his cards so close to the vest--especially with broadcast media.

Comment

[QUOTE=NorCalJack;152751]It just sounded like Meirerkort was already making excuses for those that want to compare scores, in case the U of M rolls the 'Yotes.[\QUOTE]

This, this, a hundred times this.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    Because 40 minutes of Stig would be boring.

Not that Stig's a bad guy, but he plays his cards so close to the vest--especially with broadcast media.
                    Thats what I thought might be the reason. Stu can't find a reason to tear the coach or the program down, not like George Perles of Michigan State.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Thats what I thought might be the reason. Stu can't find a reason to tear the coach or the program down, not like George Perles of Michigan State.
                      I don't think it's quite like that. But I do think that Stu has little patience for Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        I don't think it's quite like that. But I do think that Stu has little patience for Stig.
                        Granted Perles was Stu big game to fame, and he has not let up since that time. I suspect he finds both Nagy and Stig kind of stiff and but he seems to like Ed very much though.

Comment

Better not tell Meierkort that Minnesota's best player is about to get drafted and that Gophers are probably a five win team at best next year.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                            Better not tell Meierkort that Minnesota's best player is about to get drafted and that Gophers are probably a five win team at best next year.
                            Good point, the U. won't have to face the Gophers best player either since he will be in the NFL. The Gophers don't look like they will be as good as they were this year (and they weren't that good this year)

I agree with the previous post. He was defiantly trying to set up some built-in excuses for next year because it seemed that he was already thinking they were going to get stomped.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                              Good point, the U. won't have to face the Gophers best player either since he will be in the NFL. The Gophers don't look like they will be as good as they were this year (and they weren't that good this year)

I agree with the previous post. He was defiantly trying to set up some built-in excuses for next year because it seemed that he was already thinking they were going to get stomped.
                              I was an invited guest at a table with Ed and some other USD boosters earlier this year. A lot of things were discussed including USD's schedule this fall. Ed basically said USD is a sacrificial lamb for the 2 FBS games. USD needs the money and the quickest way to get it is to play games they can't win. He seemed resigned to the fact that they would not have a chance in either game. I didn't disagree.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...14/1002/sports

First Pitch: Missouri Valley not ready for Coyotes just yet

Terry Vandrovec • Argus Leader Media • April 29, 2010

It’s no secret that the University of South Dakota aspires to join the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Coyotes coach Ed Meierkort said as much again last week during an Internet talk show. In fact, he went a step beyond and suggested that a vast majority of the current members are in favor of expanding.

But the league office doesn’t seem so certain about growing in the near future.

I don’t doubt there’s been some conversation at the coaches’ level,” Valley commissioner Patty Viverito said. “But that’s not where decisions get made – they get made by the presidents. There have been zero conversations about expansion at the presidential level. That I can say unequivocally.” . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X