Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DeBoer from USF to Southern Illinois

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Does anybody else wonder if this move has anything to do with recent signing day? I wouldn't be too happy if my kid committed to USF about 2 days ago...

Decommit then...NAIA doesn't have any recruiting rules anyway.

This move has everything to do with DeBoer moving up to a coaching position that will move him up to the next head coaching position.
    Don't be surprised to see him as the HC of a high-end FCS school before long if not even a higher position(FBS) after that. The guy's motivated.

This is why I don't get the Meadow's rumor for HC at USF. DeBoer just left there after going 67-3 to go to an FCS school in the MVFC as the OC. Last I checked I believe that's the exact position Meadow's holds, right??? Should be interesting.
    Someone asked Zimmer on his blog if he thought that if Meadow's would've gottent the HC job at NSU, would DeBoer be SDSU's new OC. Zimmer replied matter of factly..."I believe so, yes".

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

This move has everything to do with DeBoer moving up to a coaching position that will move him up to the next head coaching position.
      Don't be surprised to see him as the HC of a high-end FCS school before long if not even a higher position(FBS) after that. The guy's motivated.

This is why I don't get the Meadow's rumor for HC at USF. DeBoer just left there after going 67-3 to go to an FCS school in the MVFC as the OC. Last I checked I believe that's the exact position Meadow's holds, right??? Should be interesting.
      Someone asked Zimmer on his blog if he thought that if Meadow's would've gottent the HC job at NSU, would DeBoer be SDSU's new OC. Zimmer replied matter of factly..."I believe so, yes".

Go Jacks!!
      Its confusing..... about Meadows to USF.... the difference with your thinking is to my knowledge Meadows has never been a head coach and with a similar pay or better pay, and similar geography taking a head coaching job might not be the worst idea for him. I guess what I am saying is Deboer wants to move up and an FCS cordinator that has head coaching experience is what you need when you are applying for head coaching jobs in the future. Meadows doesn't have that head coaching experience.

Meadows can stay at SDSU for 10-15 years and wait until Stig retires but even then I think there will be people on the search committee who say well he has never been a head coach. just what I am saying.
      As far as NAIA letter of intent I believe its only binding through the conference, but that could be wrong also.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        Its confusing..... about Meadows to USF.... the difference with your thinking is to my knowledge Meadows has never been a head coach and with a similar pay or better pay, and similar geography taking a head coaching job might not be the worst idea for him. I guess what I am saying is Deboer wants to move up and an FCS cordinator that has head coaching experience is what you need when you are applying for head coaching jobs in the future. Meadows doesn't have that head coaching experience.

Meadows can stay at SDSU for 10-15 years and wait until Stig retires but even then I think there will be people on the search committee who say well he has never been a head coach. just what I am saying.
        As far as NAIA letter of intent I believe its only binding through the conference, but that could be wrong also.
        Stig had never been a head coach before, had he? I'm not saying I'm just asking.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Even if they could decommit, that's not the point. The point would be, he recruited a kid and talked him into coming to Sioux Falls, and then turned his back on them. It just seems like really weird timing.

I think this move could have as much to do with USF moving to DII as DeBoer's desire to move to a higher division. Obviously, the SIU job is a great opportunity, but basically the whole coaching staff has jumped ship. Before DeBoer got this job. Its almost like they knew he would be gone somewhere, anywhere but USF...

If he really was that motivated to move up, he could have moved up last year, or probably the year before that. Would DII or FCS programs really say, "well, you've won 3 NAIA titles, that's totally different than winning 2 NAIA titles."
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

A very good source tells me DeBoer was making 100k. Maybe they offer Meadows 80k to become head coach. That's nearly double what he's getting now.

It's going to be real tough for anyone to take over for DeBoer.....and add the fact that they are going D2.....ouch. If I'm Meadows I'm asking for a little pay raise at SDSU....today.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Stig had never been a head coach before, had he? I'm not saying I'm just asking.
              I don't know but the SDSU football situation is a lot different now then it was when Stig took over. Also nobody wants to be a coach in waiting because you never know when Stig is going to step down. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me is Stig retired after next year, at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed for another 10-15 years. I'm not saying that he will for sure leave but I think its wrong to say that because DeBoer is leaving USF to take over the same roll Meadows has that means Meadows won't leave to take the USF job. I just think its different motives. And that is not to mention the money factor. turning down a 20-30 grand pay raise isn't the easiest thing to do. And Sioux Falls isn't Aberdeen and USF isn't Northern State.

Comment

Here's the deal:

Meadows took himself out of consideration for the NSU job.

And in every aspect besides pay, the USF job is far less desirable. Fan expectations will likely be beyond unreasonable, the program won't be post-season eligible, and so on and so forth.

So why, again would the USF job be attractive to him?

If money was a primary motivating factor for him, do you think he'd still be at SDSU??

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  Here's the deal:

Meadows took himself out of consideration for the NSU job.

And in every aspect besides pay, the USF job is far less desirable. Fan expectations will likely be beyond unreasonable, the program won't be post-season eligible, and so on and so forth.

So why, again would the USF job be attractive to him?

If money was a primary motivating factor for him, do you think he'd still be at SDSU??
                  Would be shocked if CMeadows went to SFalls- SDSU has had 2 very good recruiting classes back to back. He has worked diligently recruiting many of these kids and i just can't see him jumping ship at this point. Of course this is an opinion only.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    I don't know but the SDSU football situation is a lot different now then it was when Stig took over. Also nobody wants to be a coach in waiting because you never know when Stig is going to step down. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me is Stig retired after next year, at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed for another 10-15 years. I'm not saying that he will for sure leave but I think its wrong to say that because DeBoer is leaving USF to take over the same roll Meadows has that means Meadows won't leave to take the USF job. I just think its different motives. And that is not to mention the money factor. turning down a 20-30 grand pay raise isn't the easiest thing to do. And Sioux Falls isn't Aberdeen and USF isn't Northern State.
                    Well you have it covered Stig will either stay one year or 10-15 years. I think your going to be right at sme level!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Well you have it covered Stig will either stay one year or 10-15 years. I think your going to be right at sme level!
                      that was kinda my point..... Stig has made it known that he isn't leaving, and he seems like the guy that could very well stay for a long time. Or atleast nobody knows and its one thing if you are a coach in waiting for Bobby Bowden or Joe Pa, but Stig is what early 50's? Plus unless Meadows were to completely flop at USF he would still be the leading guy to replace him.

As far as what is being said. USF is a better job then NSU.... Sioux Falls is a better town and even though they are going through transition they have a legacy, and they fund their program.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                        A very good source tells me DeBoer was making 100k. Maybe they offer Meadows 80k to become head coach. That's nearly double what he's getting now.

It's going to be real tough for anyone to take over for DeBoer.....and add the fact that they are going D2.....ouch. If I'm Meadows I'm asking for a little pay raise at SDSU....today.
                        Based on what I'm being told they are actually going to offer $100,000 and four full time assistants. That is double Luke's current salary and $25,000 less than Stig makes now. Why would he not consider it?

Comment

Working...
                        X