Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ndsu 2009

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Not scheduling both McNeese State & Cal Poly in the same season, for one.
    And scheduling Wagner, Austin Peay, Central Conn. State, Miss. Valley St, etc...

You aren't going to convince Bison fans that SDSU has a better football program right now. They aren't going to see it that way, they can't. Most of them think the losses the last 3 years are just flukes. Get rid of Mertens, keep recruiting the same way and have faith in the dome and facilities. If a kid has talent on the football field and he is willing to haul is rear to Fargo promise him the best and deal with whatever follows.

Remember, they have 8 DII national championships, we have none and never will. Remember, they almost had an undefeated season at the DI level, we're happy just to win conferences and finish in the top 25. Remember, they beat Ball State and a Big 10 team and almost beat Wyoming (screwed by the refs).

Huskon seems like a good guy he just isn't able to see things except through green and gold glasses. Many of us make similar errors when looking at other programs.

The Bison will survive and they will return to the top 25 FCS program they had if recognition is given to some of their recent mistakes. I'm not sure how many of their fans recognize that but as long as those in charge do it won't matter.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      And scheduling Wagner, Austin Peay, Central Conn. State, Miss. Valley St, etc...

You aren't going to convince Bison fans that SDSU has a better football program right now. They aren't going to see it that way, they can't. Most of them think the losses the last 3 years are just flukes. Get rid of Mertens, keep recruiting the same way and have faith in the dome and facilities. If a kid has talent on the football field and he is willing to haul is rear to Fargo promise him the best and deal with whatever follows.

Remember, they have 8 DII national championships, we have none and never will. Remember, they almost had an undefeated season at the DI level, we're happy just to win conferences and finish in the top 25. Remember, they beat Ball State and a Big 10 team and almost beat Wyoming (screwed by the refs).

Huskon seems like a good guy he just isn't able to see things except through green and gold glasses. Many of us make similar errors when looking at other programs.

The Bison will survive and they will return to the top 25 FCS program they had if recognition is given to some of their recent mistakes. I'm not sure how many of their fans recognize that but as long as those in charge do it won't matter.
      If you go back to post #19 of this thread I state that I believe SDSU is better than NDSU currently and SDSU has proven that. I also have said in other posts that I could care less about NDSUs tradition as I had no attachment to that program until 2004 when I first attended school there. So yes, I am proud to say our football team almost beat Minnesota and Wyoming (no, I don't believe the refs ever screw us, we just shoot ourselves in the foot) and did beat Minnesota and Ball State. If SDSU had those wins, I would expect you all to have the same pride.

Truthfully I am more proud of what our basketball team has done over the last few years by beating nationally ranked Wisconsin and Marquette and giving Kansas a pretty good run this past year too. And they did all this without adding any negative attention to the program. They did it 'without getting interest from Fargo PD' and it was awesome to see them get the support that the football usually receives.

As far as scheduling goes, I like when NDSU and SDSU get the opportunity to show their salt against FBS competition. I think its a good measuring stick, gives some publicity, and is a huge payday. I plan on being there next year when SDSU takes on Nebraska and am excited to see what the Jacks can do. But I'll be there with my scarlet and cream colored glasses as I am a Huskers fan first and foremost - when you're born there and grow up there, you really don't have a choice!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        I think Minnesota,Iowa and Wisconsin kids care a lot about Jackrabbit Pride at SDSU,along with kids from many other states. If they don't care,the coaching staff isn't doing their job in evaluating recruits.
        Really? Ok, thats fine, but I am talking about home state pride where kids grow up dreaming of playing for - in your case - the Blue 'n Gold. I highly doubt any kids from those other states feel that way. Yes, I'm sure they are proud of the institution after they are there, but some of that pride is self-related. Maybe I'm way off too and SDSU is just different. But hey, I did graduate from high school in this state and I have talked to quite a few different kids who played football for SDSU so I have a decent idea I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          You totally missed the point while unleashing an entire school of red herrings. On second thought, you kind of proved the point, so thanks for that.
          So I missed the point while proving it? Rather than coming up with a clever quip, why not try to continue this discussion the rest of us are having? Well either way, your input was excellent, so thanks for that.

Comment

How about a little story that says something about Coach Stig? He likes to sit down, often for an hour or so, with each recruit and just take the measure of him. A former SDSU coach told me a story about a top-notch recruit, somebody who could have helped us on the field a couple of years back. The recruit came to Brookings for his visit, liked what he saw, and sat down for his visit with Stig. A few minutes into the conversation, the recruit's cell phone rang, and he answered it and proceeded to chat with a buddy for a short time.

Guess what? Great player or not, he didn't get an offer.

That's not to say SDSU players don't get into trouble or do stupid things. But I do think it makes a difference. Our football team had the highest GPA in the MVFC last year. And it was the highest EVER in the conference. And little speeches about "belief" may sound like clichés to some NDSU fans (they've said so on Bisonville). But it was clear to me on Saturday that, once they got behind, a lot of NDSU players didn't believe they could win.

Bohl has a different approach, and he's been successful. There's more than one way to win football games. I happen to like the way Stig does it better. But that doesn't mean Bohl is a bad guy or that NDSU's program is "bad". They've got dozens of fine young men on that team, too.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by huskon4ever View Post
              Really? Ok, thats fine, but I am talking about home state pride where kids grow up dreaming of playing for - in your case - the Blue 'n Gold. I highly doubt any kids from those other states feel that way. Yes, I'm sure they are proud of the institution after they are there, but some of that pride is self-related. Maybe I'm way off too and SDSU is just different. But hey, I did graduate from high school in this state and I have talked to quite a few different kids who played football for SDSU so I have a decent idea I think.
              You missed the point again. The kids that come to SDSU do so becuase they like the feel that they get from the team. They are just that, a team that cares about each other and considers each member family. That starts at the top with Coach Stig and carries all the way down to the recruits. You can't put a price tag on that. These kids go to war for Coach Stig because he truly cares about them and has their back.

Its a difference in philosiphies plain and simple. And by saying that I'm not saying yours is wrong. NDSU has a strong tradition and solid fan support. You'll be back!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by huskon4ever View Post
                Okay, I'll do it, yellow and blue are the school colors at SDSU, no gold involved here.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Okay, I'll do it, yellow and blue are the school colors at SDSU, no gold involved here.
                  Haha, sorry jackmd. Complete oversight on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    How about a little story that says something about Coach Stig? He likes to sit down, often for an hour or so, with each recruit and just take the measure of him. A former SDSU coach told me a story about a top-notch recruit, somebody who could have helped us on the field a couple of years back. The recruit came to Brookings for his visit, liked what he saw, and sat down for his visit with Stig. A few minutes into the conversation, the recruit's cell phone rang, and he answered it and proceeded to chat with a buddy for a short time.

Guess what? Great player or not, he didn't get an offer.

That's not to say SDSU players don't get into trouble or do stupid things. But I do think it makes a difference. Our football team had the highest GPA in the MVFC last year. And it was the highest EVER in the conference. And little speeches about "belief" may sound like clichés to some NDSU fans (they've said so on Bisonville). But it was clear to me on Saturday that, once they got behind, a lot of NDSU players didn't believe they could win.

Bohl has a different approach, and he's been successful. There's more than one way to win football games. I happen to like the way Stig does it better. But that doesn't mean Bohl is a bad guy or that NDSU's program is "bad". They've got dozens of fine young men on that team, too.
                    Good story JJ. Very interesting. It's good to hear stories like this. I am not one who believes in the 'win at all costs' attitude. There is no way I could ever cheer for teams like USC or Miami because of the very public stories that get out about their practices.

I hate to see that written about NDSU that they would more or less give up once they got behind, but I kinda do see the truth in it. Now I don't think they rolled over, otherwise it wouldn't have been a one score game for almost 2 quarters, but obviously confidence is a huge thing and NDSUs players have very little, if any. When things go well, all these little problems with most programs get slid under the carpet, but when things turn bad all the dirty laundry gets aired out in public. I have no doubts that NDSU can return to being a very respectable team, but some things are going to need to change at the top for that to happen. The very attitude of the team and it's leader needs to change.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      You missed the point again. The kids that come to SDSU do so becuase they like the feel that they get from the team. They are just that, a team that cares about each other and considers each member family. That starts at the top with Coach Stig and carries all the way down to the recruits. You can't put a price tag on that. These kids go to war for Coach Stig because he truly cares about them and has their back.

Its a difference in philosiphies plain and simple. And by saying that I'm not saying yours is wrong. NDSU has a strong tradition and solid fan support. You'll be back!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

The Bison lose to MSU, 21 to 17. Jose Mohler starting in place of Nick "The Pick" Mertens goes 9-21 with 126 yards passing.

Congrats to ISU (wood) on their win as well.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

[QUOTE=2002jack;131264]The Bison lose to MSUQUOTE]

And the meltdown on Bisonville continues....wow.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                            The Bison lose to MSU, 21 to 17. Jose Mohler starting in place of Nick "The Pick" Mertens goes 9-21 with 126 yards passing.

Congrats to ISU (wood) on their win as well.

And they are fairly satisfied with Jose Cuervo and his 9 for 21 because he didn't turn the ball over. They are now pissed at the almightly Pat Paschall for a very untimely fumble in the last minutes of the game as they were driving for the win.

Still have WIU and ISU left on the schedule to get out of the basement. If they lose either of those two games, I really think Bohl might be looking for another job...for real.

Comment

IMO Bohl will be looking no matter what they finish up...
                              Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                              Muhammad Ali

Comment

I've heard they can't afford the buyout.

Although that would form an interesting basis for a fundraiser. "Our goal: Raise $800k to buyout Coach Bohl"

Comment

Working...
                                X