Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ndsu 2009

Originally posted by huskon4ever View Post
    I also think this shows how important recruiting for the future is and how you need to project 3 years into the future and obviously our staff is struggling with that a little bit.
    I think an 'under the radar' aspect of Stig's solid and steadily improving performance in FCS is the -consistency- of the recruiting.

Stig's staff recruits meticulously, and if they miss out on the occasional blue-chip because they don't offer soon enough, or they're unwilling to take a risk (on off-the-field issues, academic issues, team orientation, etc.) I think they put together better classes top to bottom than the rest of FCS.

The budget & funding at FCS has allowed Stig to recruit to his strengths as a coach in a way that he simply couldn't at the D-2 level.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I think an 'under the radar' aspect of Stig's solid and steadily improving performance in FCS is the -consistency- of the recruiting.

Stig's staff recruits meticulously, and if they miss out on the occasional blue-chip because they don't offer soon enough, or they're unwilling to take a risk (on off-the-field issues, academic issues, team orientation, etc.) I think they put together better classes top to bottom than the rest of FCS.

The budget & funding at FCS has allowed Stig to recruit to his strengths as a coach in a way that he simply couldn't at the D-2 level.
      Check Stu's column in the Argus today. Not bad column and he quotes Coach Stig that a facility does not win a game. A very good point by a very humble coach.

Comment

Stig does very much seem to be the right coach in the right place at the right time.

He fits very well with what SDSU is, and what SDSU wants to be.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that currently SDSU is a better team than NDSU, but this statement is going a little far for me. I understand that you're a SDSU fan and this is a SDSU site, but to say they put together better classes than the rest of the FCS is quite the statement. SDSU has consistently lost 4-5 games since joining the FCS and has not yet been recognized as a top 10 team yet either. So to anoint them as having the top recruiting class doesn't make sense. To me if you have the top talent, that should translate to the field.

Note: Please do not take this as smack or that I am trying to discredit what SDSU/Stig has done, but besides beating NDSU who else do you point to as big wins in our conference, let alone in the rest of the FCS? For your sake, I hope you get the chance to show this against UNI this coming week.

Comment

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that currently SDSU is a better team than NDSU, but this statement is going a little far for me. I understand that you're a SDSU fan and this is a SDSU site, but to say they put together better classes than the rest of the FCS is quite the statement. SDSU has consistently lost 4-5 games since joining the FCS and has not yet been recognized as a top 10 team yet either. So to anoint them as having the top recruiting class doesn't make sense. To me if you have the top talent, that should translate to the field.

Note: Please do not take this as smack or that I am trying to discredit what SDSU/Stig has done, but besides beating NDSU who else do you point to as big wins in our conference, let alone in the rest of the FCS? For your sake, I hope you get the chance to show this against UNI this coming week.
            I can not speak for the poster you quoted, but I think Stig's success is more than about wins and losses. Most of us here are not trying to get into a pissing contest about wins and losses, but rather speak of Stig running a class program and producing productive citizens. This past spring and summer has been a busy season for the police in Fargo and I need not say any more, but college athletics is not about winning at any price, but producing good citizens and exchanging a free education for the best performance of athletic abilities by chosen individuals that get that opportunity to represent SDSU.

Just ask any hotel or motel people where the Jacks have stayed and they will probably tell that Stig's team are the best behaved guests who they would love to see return again sometime. I suppose that does not mean much to you but to an old fart like myself that has given more than his share to the Jackrabbit Club it means a great deal.

The young people who impress me are the thoughtful ones who are courteous and respectful and not noisey and boastful. Granted there are probably a bunch of current Bison people who are very classy people and certainly will be hired in a number of fields when they get done at NDSU. The trouble makers are an embarrassment to those of class. Obviously they are not thinking of the institution or the program when they screw up.

I know for a fact that home visits are important to Stig and his staff and generally they have to be impressed with both the candidate and parents. I am sure there are some super athletes that have not gotten offers from SDSU based on what they encountered during their home visits.

Comment

A nice, reasoned, response Nidaros.

Comment

So to anoint them as having the top recruiting class doesn't make sense. To me if you have the top talent, that should translate to the field.
                Bear in mind, though, that 2008 was the first season SDSU was fully funded for FCS... During the first four years of transition, SDSU was at a scholarship disadvantage, yet they managed to end the season in the top 25 three of those four years.

Also, they're still short (IIRC) three assistant coaches.

My remark about the quality of Stig's recruiting classes was a bit of hyperbole, but I think it's basically true--It's hard to go through any of Stig's recruiting classes and find a particularly bad one--either on the field or off.

With better scheduling and a full slate of coaches, SDSU looks poised to be a consistent 2-3 loss team.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                  A nice, reasoned, response Nidaros.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Over on Bisonville, they're speculating how well Stig would be doing with THEIR facilities, THEIR tradition, THEIR whatever... THEY really don't get it.

Stig said something in the post-game interview that really struck home. Of Derek Domino's INT return, Stig said the young man had "made a memory." That, to me, said it all. It had nothing to do with fancy domes or rubber turf or whether or not you were recruited by 19 schools and the mighty NDSU; instead, it spoke to the effort and comraderie and teamwork that had made this player successful when the opportunity provided itself. My guess is this young man will remember that 15-yard jaunt a heck of a lot longer than whether or not he played in some sort of football Taj Mahal - and went 1 and whatever doing it.

Yeah, SDSU needs to pour some concrete and build some more stands so the Bison faithful don't get their toosies wet. But let's not get so defensive about it that it overshadows what this team is doing on the field, where it counts. If port-a-potties are beneath the Lakes-esque whiners over on Bisonville, WalMart sells adult diapers.

Jacks are building their own D-1 tradition. They don't need to borrow anyone else's, and they certainly don't have to apologize for doing more with less. There's more to recruiting and competing than brick and mortar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I can not speak for the poster you quoted, but I think Stig's success is more than about wins and losses. Most of us here are not trying to get into a pissing contest about wins and losses, but rather speak of Stig running a class program and producing productive citizens. This past spring and summer has been a busy season for the police in Fargo and I need not say any more, but college athletics is not about winning at any price, but producing good citizens and exchanging a free education for the best performance of athletic abilities by chosen individuals that get that opportunity to represent SDSU.

Just ask any hotel or motel people where the Jacks have stayed and they will probably tell that Stig's team are the best behaved guests who they would love to see return again sometime. I suppose that does not mean much to you but to an old fart like myself that has given more than his share to the Jackrabbit Club it means a great deal.

The young people who impress me are the thoughtful ones who are courteous and respectful and not noisey and boastful. Granted there are probably a bunch of current Bison people who are very classy people and certainly will be hired in a number of fields when they get done at NDSU. The trouble makers are an embarrassment to those of class. Obviously they are not thinking of the institution or the program when they screw up.

I know for a fact that home visits are important to Stig and his staff and generally they have to be impressed with both the candidate and parents. I am sure there are some super athletes that have not gotten offers from SDSU based on what they encountered during their home visits.
                      And thats great Nidaros. I agree producing quality people is important to a program. And yes it does mean something to me. I am proud of my current job situation and proud of the reputation I have and proud to say I graduated from NDSU. I am not happy about the recent run-ins with the law that NDSU has had, but I knew a few of them before I graduated and I can tell you I'm not surprised. BUT, that poster was not talking about what type of people they are going to become but about their ability on the football field - unless I totally missed something? If you want to discuss character rather than wins and losses, then we can do that. But my response was predicated on the statement about top recruits, nothing more.

And hey, I told you I wasn't trying to short change them for anything they had accomplished so far, so no reason to get defensive. But I still believe its a fair question. If you beat UNI this weekend like I hope you do, then this question definitely won't hold the same water.

Comment

Bear in mind, though, that 2008 was the first season SDSU was fully funded for FCS... During the first four years of transition, SDSU was at a scholarship disadvantage, yet they managed to end the season in the top 25 three of those four years.

Also, they're still short (IIRC) three assistant coaches.

My remark about the quality of Stig's recruiting classes was a bit of hyperbole, but I think it's basically true--It's hard to go through any of Stig's recruiting classes and find a particularly bad one--either on the field or off.

With better scheduling and a full slate of coaches, SDSU looks poised to be a consistent 2-3 loss team.
                        Ok, first I would not know that about SDSU as I do not follow this program that closely as to how many coaches their are or scholarships available. And I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your previous post did not state good/bad, but said top in FCS. Thats the only thing I was arguing.

But tell me what you mean by better scheduling? Like not Minnesota, IA State or Nebraska for competition, but instead UND or USD? Just seemed like an interesting statement. If you meant nothing, ignore my question.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Over on Bisonville, they're speculating how well Stig would be doing with THEIR facilities, THEIR tradition, THEIR whatever... THEY really don't get it.

Stig said something in the post-game interview that really struck home. Of Derek Domino's INT return, Stig said the young man had "made a memory." That, to me, said it all. It had nothing to do with fancy domes or rubber turf or whether or not you were recruited by 19 schools and the mighty NDSU; instead, it spoke to the effort and comraderie and teamwork that had made this player successful when the opportunity provided itself. My guess is this young man will remember that 15-yard jaunt a heck of a lot longer than whether or not he played in some sort of football Taj Mahal - and went 1 and whatever doing it.

Yeah, SDSU needs to pour some concrete and build some more stands so the Bison faithful don't get their toosies wet. But let's not get so defensive about it that it overshadows what this team is doing on the field, where it counts. If port-a-potties are beneath the Lakes-esque whiners over on Bisonville, WalMart sells adult diapers.

Jacks are building their own D-1 tradition. They don't need to borrow anyone else's, and they certainly don't have to apologize for doing more with less. There's more to recruiting and competing than brick and mortar.
                          If you were standing anywhere within earshot of me over the last 4 years, I've often said that just because we get recruits from Texas and Florida does not mean we are going to be successful. You need a base of players from your home state that play with pride for the school and therefore will often push perhaps the more athletically gifted from places unknown to be better. NDSU does not recruit NoDak very much and I think that hurts our program. Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Florida and Texas kids could care less about Bison Pride and the same can be said at SDSU too. I know that perhaps the talent level isn't always there, but sometimes ya gotta take a chance.

And I guess people can diss on the Fargo Dome all they want, but it is a nice place to play and a nice place to watch a game and it is a valuable recruiting tool. And CAS is making major strides since the first time I attended a game there in 2004 and I rather enjoy watching a game there so to each their own - plus I never sit in the stands anyway, but usually stand along the fence, so I could care less about what shape the stands are in. And please don't group everyone in with Lakes - you kicked him off this board for a reason. And you're right, you have your own tradition here, so why is Bisonville getting your blood pressure up??

Comment

If you were standing anywhere within earshot of me over the last 4 years, I've often said that just because we get recruits from Texas and Florida does not mean we are going to be successful. You need a base of players from your home state that play with pride for the school and therefore will often push perhaps the more athletically gifted from places unknown to be better. NDSU does not recruit NoDak very much and I think that hurts our program. Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Florida and Texas kids could care less about Bison Pride and the same can be said at SDSU too. I know that perhaps the talent level isn't always there, but sometimes ya gotta take a chance.

And I guess people can diss on the Fargo Dome all they want, but it is a nice place to play and a nice place to watch a game and it is a valuable recruiting tool. And CAS is making major strides since the first time I attended a game there in 2004 and I rather enjoy watching a game there so to each their own - plus I never sit in the stands anyway, but usually stand along the fence, so I could care less about what shape the stands are in. And please don't group everyone in with Lakes - you kicked him off this board for a reason. And you're right, you have your own tradition here, so why is Bisonville getting your blood pressure up??
                            You totally missed the point while unleashing an entire school of red herrings. On second thought, you kind of proved the point, so thanks for that.

Comment

I think Minnesota,Iowa and Wisconsin kids care a lot about Jackrabbit Pride at SDSU,along with kids from many other states. If they don't care,the coaching staff isn't doing their job in evaluating recruits.

Comment

But tell me what you mean by better scheduling?
                                Not scheduling both McNeese State & Cal Poly in the same season, for one.

Comment

Working...
                                X