NDSU: Three years, three Montana games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU: Three years, three Montana games

Well, two University of Montana games and one Montana State game, but that wouldn't have worked nearly so well as a thread title.

It looks like Montana State has finally decided to honor the home/home contract that's been hanging around since 2005. The boys from Bozeman will be coming to the Fargodome in 2013.

But wait, there's more.

In 2014, the Grizzlies will be coming to Fargo with a return trip to Missoula in 2015. That's right, Montana is actually coming to NDSU FIRST! I'm keeping an eye out for ruptures in the space-time continuum, but we seem to be good so far. Of course, it's several years between now and then, so anything can happen.

With Montana playing NDSU & UND twice each, and Montana State playing NDSU once and USD twice(?), you guys need to jump on the Montana/Dakota gravy train and get some grub. Maybe a home/home with Montana State. Of course you want to make sure they come to your house first, but I'm pretty sure you guys got that memo a few years back.

Re: NDSU: Three years, three Montana games

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Well, two University of Montana games and one Montana State game, but that wouldn't have worked nearly so well as a thread title.

It looks like Montana State has finally decided to honor the home/home contract that's been hanging around since 2005. The boys from Bozeman will be coming to the Fargodome in 2013.

But wait, there's more.

In 2014, the Grizzlies will be coming to Fargo with a return trip to Missoula in 2015. That's right, Montana is actually coming to NDSU FIRST! I'm keeping an eye out for ruptures in the space-time continuum, but we seem to be good so far. Of course, it's several years between now and then, so anything can happen.

With Montana playing NDSU & UND twice each, and Montana State playing NDSU once and USD twice(?), you guys need to jump on the Montana/Dakota gravy train and get some grub. Maybe a home/home with Montana State. Of course you want to make sure they come to your house first, but I'm pretty sure you guys got that memo a few years back.
    Good get for the Bison

Comment

The Montana schools are very low on my "teams I'd like to see" list. I hope the athletic department at NDSU has a huge, by FCS standards, cancellation penalty in any agreement signed with the Montana schools...$300,000 or $400,000 would be about right. A large cancellation fee should not bother them if they truly intend to show up.

Comment

It's interesting---I'd like to know whether SDSU would prefer finding other quality FCS teams to home/home with.

In short, if they'll wait for Montana/Montana State to call them.

Would also be interesting to know if SDSU would bus to the Montana schools. Looks to be close to a dozen hours by bus to Bozeman, and another couple hours to Missoula.

If they'd end up chartering a flight, I could see SDSU continuing to pick up home/homes with quality FCS schools outside the region to help with recruiting where they have to fly anyway.

I mean, playing Montana's nice, but does it help recruit California talent vs. playing Cal Poly?

Comment

Starting in Brookings, is absolute key for playing either MT school. Buy outs, after played here can be quite low, and then we can decide if MT is a good choice, or subbing in a D-II at home, or FBS $$ game is better.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            It's interesting---I'd like to know whether SDSU would prefer finding other quality FCS teams to home/home with.

In short, if they'll wait for Montana/Montana State to call them.

Would also be interesting to know if SDSU would bus to the Montana schools. Looks to be close to a dozen hours by bus to Bozeman, and another couple hours to Missoula.

If they'd end up chartering a flight, I could see SDSU continuing to pick up home/homes with quality FCS schools outside the region to help with recruiting where they have to fly anyway.

I mean, playing Montana's nice, but does it help recruit California talent vs. playing Cal Poly?
            SDSU flew to Missoula in both 1988 and 1993. It would be insane to now start putting our guys on a bus to save money or for any other reasons. I doubt very few recruits are the result of playing a game in any location. My guess most of the recruits are landed because of camps, coaching networks and other contacts. I suppose Cole Brodie might have come to SDSU because of our game with GSU, and if so he is probably more of an exception than the rule.

Personally, I only want to face MU and MSU in the playoffs. Even Ed Mierkort expressed his unhappiness with Montana State and dealing with them for a home and home on the Stu and Mike show a few weeks back. We dont owe the Montana schools anything and if NDSU wants to take a chance on them, then thats their choice.

Comment

Playing one of the Montana schools or even Wyoming would not be a bad thing each year. Would like to see it, but them schools have to get over themslves first.
              MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
              http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
              http://gojacks.com

Comment

I remember a couple of years ago after a game where SDSU got word that Montana had backed out of there game and I think it was Stig basically said in the interview after the game that as long as he had say they wouldn't be playing Montana anytime soon....

even though I think some of the blame should be put on the SDSU athletic department, if you agree to a 2-1 with your 1 last that has a relatively low buyout you are asking to get bought out...

I just think between, Cal-Poly, Cal-Davis, U of Central Arkansas, McNeese State, Steven F. Austin, (and a few others) who as far as I can tell the athletic department seems to have a good relationship with that we can avoid making a trip to Montana.....

Comment

Working...
                X