Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bisonville FCS vs FBS

I guess I see three scenarios:

1: NDSU (and, perhaps SDSU) establish themselves in FCS as perennial powers--or at least annually respectable. Movement elsewhere (the Pac-10 going to 12 members, maybe) creates a ripple effect that makes an opening or two in the WAC.

2: The Valley decides to go FBS, and breaks up between the state-sponsored, football-playing schools and the private non-football schools. NDSU and SDSU go into the FBS Valley to take two of the spots vacated by the privates. (Alternate: Valley goes to 16 members for basketball--not bloody likely IMHO but I guess not impossible).

3: NDSU goes to FBS on their own, and (most likely) winds up in Sun Belt Conference, unless everyone in Fargo goes collectively insane and tries to have NDSU make it as an independent.

No current BCS conference is even going to look at NDSU, or SDSU for that matter. The schools are too small, and the markets they're in are too small, too, IMHO.

Oh, OK, option #4:

NCAA rejiggers D-I to basically be just the BCS schools and relegates the non-BCS schools and the upper tier FCS schools to what would for all intents and purposes be a restoration of the College Division/Division II of the '60's and '70's.

I suppose I could come up with other potential scenarios, but I think all are low-probability scenarios.

My suggestion would be that NDSU win a couple of FCS playoff games first before they get too far ahead of themselves--I'd say the same for any SDSU fans who might start getting stars in their eyes, too.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
      NDSU is the FBS is a slam dunk.
      I heard today at the NDSU teammakers luncheon they are already at $2.8 million dollars this year on donations alone.
      NDSU is up to 14,000+ students and expanding into downtown fargo this year.
      IF Mountain West or WAC or MAC wants NDSU, they are gone in a flash, Fargodome could be bumped to 25,000 seats im sure with the NDSU engineering people in control.

Cart

Horse

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        Cart

Horse
        True, but I don't see NDSU in FBS as being that out of the question. If Wyoming can do it, surely NDSU, in a much larger community, could make it work.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

If NDSU wants to move up, more power to them. I'd wish them luck. The problems they are going to run into will be huge, though. Is any conference looking to expand? Travel costs for the WAC (what does it cost to send a football team to Hawaii every other year) and the Sun Belt would be huge. The Mountain West won't take Boise State which is in the top 25, why would they want NDSU. I don't follow the MAC, but I assume they'd have to fly to all away games.

Assuming they get into a conference, what non conference FBS schools are going to agree to come to Fargo to play? Big 10 schools - no. FCS schools? SDSU, USD, UND will more likely play Minn, ISU, Nebraska for the big pay days. Montana, enough said. Montana State is more likely to play at Colorado State, Colorado or Wyoming.

If they get in a conference and are able to play a decent schedule, then they have to win to keep their fans happy! Good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJack View Post
            If NDSU wants to move up, more power to them. I'd wish them luck. The problems they are going to run into will be huge, though. Is any conference looking to expand? Travel costs for the WAC (what does it cost to send a football team to Hawaii every other year) and the Sun Belt would be huge. The Mountain West won't take Boise State which is in the top 25, why would they want NDSU. I don't follow the MAC, but I assume they'd have to fly to all away games.

Assuming they get into a conference, what non conference FBS schools are going to agree to come to Fargo to play? Big 10 schools - no. FCS schools? SDSU, USD, UND will more likely play Minn, ISU, Nebraska for the big pay days. Montana, enough said. Montana State is more likely to play at Colorado State, Colorado or Wyoming.

If they get in a conference and are able to play a decent schedule, then they have to win to keep their fans happy! Good Luck!!

Part of my point earlier was they might want to finish higher than middle of the pack of the FB conference they are currently in before they start talking about moving on.

Comment

you guys take what gets typed over on Bisonville WAY TOO SERIOUS, I'll admit there are some boosters who want it to happen, but its all pretty much just fun talk till tomorrw at 7:05 when the football is in the air!! I will say i'm glad I don't to wait as long as you guys for the first game I've been pulling my hair out this week

Good luck with GSU (screw the SoCON!!!!)
              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Texas is going to play at Wyoming, I would think NDSU could get a few MWC, WAC, and 2 for 1s with BCS teams. Not saying Texas would come but a bunch of Big Ten schools go to MAC stadiums.

I do agree with most of the discussion here, getting the right opportunity will be tough, and I do think NDSU will never go as an Indy since the FBS is all about winning your conference and using that as a spring board to a bowl game.

Comment

I give Bisonville way too much crap, but I do enjoy their debates. I'd think that a D-1 FBS invite to either school would be way too inviting. Playing in the MWC is my SDSU dream, since I grew up in Western SD ranch country. I just don't see SDSU as another ISU. We're a western college with a DI pedigree. We should have been in the MWC from the start. We're better than CSU and New Mexico St. in my opinion. We should be top of the MWC with Utah St. in MB and tops in WBB. I don't think it's that far off. I'm a western SDSU alum and thinking we set our future site's too low with the MVC. I realize this as I would rather have SDSU in a western conferece. I realize it's a geographic thing, but I think of SDSU as a western school instead of a corn jockey school. I realize this as I return from a large western wildfire, but my point is still vaild. I just don't see SDSU as another mid-western ag based school. We're better than SDSM&T and we should show it, we're a state-wide university not an east-side based university. I try my darndest as do my fellow alums that we are not a cow-based U as some would describe us, but instead should follow our
                  fellow professionals into the next century.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                    I give Bisonville way too much crap, but I do enjoy their debates. I'd think that a D-1 FBS invite to either school would be way too inviting. Playing in the MWC is my SDSU dream, since I grew up in Western SD ranch country. I just don't see SDSU as another ISU. We're a western college with a DI pedigree. We should have been in the MWC from the start. We're better than CSU and New Mexico St. in my opinion. We should be top of the MWC with Utah St. in MB and tops in WBB. I don't think it's that far off. I'm a western SDSU alum and thinking we set our future site's too low with the MVC. I realize this as I would rather have SDSU in a western conferece. I realize it's a geographic thing, but I think of SDSU as a western school instead of a corn jockey school. I realize this as I return from a large western wildfire, but my point is still vaild. I just don't see SDSU as another mid-western ag based school. We're better than SDSM&T and we should show it, we're a state-wide university not an east-side based university. I try my darndest as do my fellow alums that we are not a cow-based U as some would describe us, but instead should follow our
                    I believe our research for agriculture includes western South Dakota so those snid remarks about eastern South Dakota and being corn jockeys are uncalled for. Much of the wheat grown in western SD probably was developed in the Plant Science Department at SDSU as are some of the corn varieties that now grown in western South Dakota. I not sure were the dividing line is for east and west SD, but traditionaly its been the Missouri River.

As far as midwestern ag college or a western ag college, I think SDSU is a blend between the two, and I dont get how there is such a difference. I would be willing to bet that identical research at Iowa State and Utah state are ongoing projects.

Colorado State and New Mexico State have had their ups and down, but I not so sure I would say SDSU was better than them except in women's BB. I think it would be challenge to beat either in football. We are not there yet.

I do agree with your comments that South Dakota in general should continue to work on self esteem and reach for the sky. I think our current President is trying to do this. Yes SDSU has had connections in all counties of South Dakota through research and the extension part since day one, and there is no reason the athletic following cant not be the same and its developing that way. I am also willing to bet there are die hard fans in western SD that recall their days in Brookings and call themselves Jack fans.

As far as Bisonville and FBS, who knows. I once asked Fred Oien how SDSU compared with NDSU in following for athletics. He told me that the NDSU following in Fargo is great and very concentrated in that area, and was not as good statewide as what SDSU had and I tend to believe that is correct, and SDSU can always do better. So thinking FBS is not a bizzare idea or dream, it could be the future.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                      Your heart may tell you we are a western school, but our geography tells us otherwise. MWC would be much more expensive than the MVC, the football team would have to fly to every game if we were in that conference.

Comment

Just for fun I am going to put this down and look at it. There are 2 "mid major" conferences in the west that may be enticing.

Western Athletic Conference (WAC)
                        Boise State
                        Idaho*
                        Utah State*
                        Fresno State
                        San Jose State
                        Hawaii*
                        New Mexico State*
                        Louisiana Tech
                        Nevada*

Moutain West Conference
                        Utah
                        Brigham Young
                        UNLV
                        San Diego State
                        TCU
                        Wyoming*
                        Colorado State*
                        Air Force
                        New Mexico

I placed an asterik by the land grant schools. There are many schools in these leagues that have similar missions to SDSU and NDSU. I highly doubt the MWC adds any new teams. If anyone remembers most of these teams used to be in the WAC. About 15 years ago the WAC decided to be a mega conference just like the Metro and Great Midwest merger into Conference USA. They had a conference championship game in Las Vegas. It worked for a couple of years and then most of the original WAC teams bolted for the MWC. With that it would be hard to believe they would want to go through expansion again.

There would have to be movement out west and that basically hinges on the Pac 10 for anything to happen. There are also other FCS schools in play: Montana, Montana State and even UT-San Antonio who just started football, but is playing in the Alamo Dome and wants to be FBS asap. Change has been constant in college athletics, so who knows.

The other conferences that are anywhere near us would be the MAC and Conference USA but both of those leaugues seem to be full.
                        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I agree that SDSU is just as good, if not a better school than CSU, NMSU, Utah St (which is actually in the WAC not the MWC) or any other school in those conferences. However, and I am speaking mainly about football, SDSU would have to compete with the top WAC schools (Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii) or top MWC schools (BYU, University of Utah, TCU) for conference championships. Of those six schools, I think there are 4 BCS bowl appearances with 2 BCS wins. We have yet to make the FCS playoffs, let alone win a playoff game. I think we are in the right conference at this time and the near future, there's no sense moving up a divsion and struggling to have a winning record.

Comment

I agree that SDSU is just as good, if not a better school than CSU, NMSU, Utah St (which is actually in the WAC not the MWC) or any other school in those conferences. However, and I am speaking mainly about football, SDSU would have to compete with the top WAC schools (Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii) or top MWC schools (BYU, University of Utah, TCU) for conference championships. Of those six schools, I think there are 4 BCS bowl appearances with 2 BCS wins. We have yet to make the FCS playoffs, let alone win a playoff game. I think we are in the right conference at this time and the near future, there's no sense moving up a divsion and struggling to have a winning record.

Comment

Not to mention that we are stilling raising money to pay for the increased scholarships for all sports and are still not fully funded, don't have full coaching staffs yet, are raising money for a new football stadium, etc. Maybe 20 years down the road it could be something to consider, but I think we need to take a breather and excel at where we are now first.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                                Not to mention that we are stilling raising money to pay for the increased scholarships for all sports and are still not fully funded, don't have full coaching staffs yet, are raising money for a new football stadium, etc. Maybe 20 years down the road it could be something to consider, but I think we need to take a breather and excel at where we are now first.
                                Yes - Getting to be a Ga Southern, Youngstown St., Delaware, App St, with 3-5 National FCS titles under our belt would be wonderful. Match that with some runs to the sweet 16 in BB, and we'd be on a very short list of REQUESTED schools to join a conference.

IMHO, the place ultimately to be is a Strong I-29 centric all sports league stretching from Grand Forks to Tulsa. But I don't think Tulsa is ready to be in the same conference with ORU. 9 Football playing schools and solid BB school as a 10th member (Creighton, calling you!)

Comment

Working...
                                X