Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ndsu-wiu

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
    Yes the game was "SOLD OUT" for 3 weeks, and 13k? i admit there were blue seats but it was easy 16 to 17k in actual attendance i've been to games back when that had 13K and its looks worse than that, as for TV nope not the problem its helped the past 2 years, the pheasant opener yes, probably kept most of the srudents from the west and fans from the west from coming down!
    How can you be so certain TV did not effect attendence on Saturday and has helped the last 2 years. That is an easy statement to make, but impossible to back up.

Comment

Have to say I was a little shocked when I saw the final last night of this game. I fully expected a Bison comeback at home...again. 15 in a row is impressive.

I think in all of the Bison's losses, Wyo, YSU and WIU, Mertens has thown picks to end all of them. Definately not what Walker did for them. That guy seemed to always come back. Ok, except at CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
        From reading the Bisonville blog the Bison couldn't stop WIU in the second half either and the Bison had some good pass plays going. Reuhl had problems running and the WIU kicker nailed some long distance kicks. 42 and 54 yards to seal it. With one minute to go and ball on own 40 after the kickoff went out of bounds Mertens threw an interception that ended it.

They keyed in on the run in a big way. The slip that our OL has taken hurt it even more. The blocked punt was a missed assignment - easy fix / won't happen again. QB Nick Mertens very obviously has all the talent in the world - I'm not sure if it's indecision or bad decisions. The entire defense puts on a weekly clinic on missing tackles. Kicker Bibeau has slipped and even missed a PAT - I agree that his now questionable abilities are affecting coaching decisions. I'm thinking that, if 1/2 of these problems get fixed, the Bison will again be an almost unstoppable beast on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          How can you be so certain TV did not effect attendence on Saturday and has helped the last 2 years. That is an easy statement to make, but impossible to back up.
          I was in remiss in making the first comment about 13k attendence. The more I have thought about this, TV might be working very good in terms of postitive cash flows for NDSU. Especially if they are selling the ads and/or getting the corp sponsors. One of the sponsors was a local Fargo retail grocery, Cashwise, that is very competitive in terms of retail groceries in Fargo. You dont hear many radio ads or TV ads and their store is full of shoppers most of the 24 hrs of the day. For some reason, they picked an NDSU game to sponsor. The more you think about it, the more marketing questions come to mind, and I suppose the only one who could answer them is management from Cashwise.

There are a number of differences between the immediate retail area surrounding SDSU and NDSU, and that I believe is the reason SDSU has taken a different approach to television. SDSU has just began to tap the Sioux Falls market since going D1 six years ago. SDSU probably does not have the direct influence on the business community in Sioux Falls, that NDSU has in Fargo. Plus the 7 national banners help too. So lots of reasons for TV in Fargo and none in Brookings with the exception of Mediacomm. Time may change all of this.

If there is any problem in football revenue at NDSU, it might be with the students. This week many did not bother to pick up their alloted tickets. The first game, more students showed up than there were allotted tickets, and some students had to pay general admission to get into the game. This was after paying student fees that included admission to athletic events. I suspect the people at NDSU will get this all ironed out.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 10-13-2008, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Impossible to back up?????????????? EVERY GAME THIS YEAR AT HOME HAS BEEN AN OFFICIAL SELLOUT!!!!! not the case any other year! Its impossible to back up TV not helping a program!! Bison football in the region has been king especially since people who live 400 miles away have access to watching the games, and its showed in merchandise sales!
            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

It's become very apparent over the last few home games that NDSU is reporting paid attendance and not actual. Most of the empty seats you see are high-end season ticket holders that aren't showing up and not giving their tickets to someone else to use. The worst offenders are between the 30's and many probably belong to businesses that contribute to TeamMakers for a tax deduction. There's been a little talk on Bisonville about wishing a better system would be put into place to encourage season ticket holders to send back or sell tickets that they can't use. Who knows if it will happen?

A small thing I noticed watching the WIU game on TV was the overwhelming number of people wearing bluejeans. It got me wondering if that might contribute to the empty seat look. Since the Fargodome seats are blue, I wonder if it's easy to mistake a row of people wearing jeans as an empty row when the TV camera quickly scans the crowd. It definitely makes a difference if a person is standing up: the torso blends in with the row above and the jeans appear to be an empty blue seat.

And the half-empty student section was the difference this game. Of the 4,000 seats open to them, only about 2,000 picked up tickets. Add the approx 2,000 student no-shows to the 17,043 paid attendance, and you've got a standard 19,000 sellout. Money-wise, this game was a sellout even if the reported number was about 1,600 short.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I was in remiss in making the first comment about 13k attendence. The more I have thought about this, TV might be working very good in terms of postitive cash flows for NDSU. Especially if they are selling the ads and/or getting the corp sponsors. One of the sponsors was a local Fargo retail grocery, Cashwise, that is very competitive in terms of retail groceries in Fargo. You dont hear many radio ads or TV ads and their store is full of shoppers most of the 24 hrs of the day. For some reason, they picked an NDSU game to sponsor. The more you think about it, the more marketing questions come to mind, and I suppose the only one who could answer them is management from Cashwise.

There are a number of differences between the immediate retail area surrounding SDSU and NDSU, and that I believe is the reason SDSU has taken a different approach to television. SDSU has just began to tap the Sioux Falls market since going D1 six years ago. SDSU probably does not have the direct influence on the business community in Sioux Falls, that NDSU has in Fargo. Plus the 7 national banners help too. So lots of reasons for TV in Fargo and none in Brookings with the exception of Mediacomm. Time may change all of this.

If there is any problem in football revenue at NDSU, it might be with the students. This week many did not bother to pick up their alloted tickets. The first game, more students showed up than there were allotted tickets, and some students had to pay general admission to get into the game. This was after paying student fees that included admission to athletic events. I suspect the people at NDSU will get this all ironed out.
                Exactly!!! MONEY, MONEY,MONEY,MONEY
                Scheels is a HUGE supporter during these televised games also

and the students that had to buy GA (standing room) tickets got those refunded if they brought the stub to the student union as their tickets are covered under their activity fees!
                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

When you are near capacity or at capacity in terms of ticket revenue, tv does work to your advantage. SDSU is not there yet so I think we need to push more ticket sales. Good luck to the Bison in Cedar Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    When you are near capacity or at capacity in terms of ticket revenue, tv does work to your advantage. SDSU is not there yet so I think we need to push more ticket sales. Good luck to the Bison in Cedar Falls.

Thanks!

Good luck to the Jacks against a former conference mate!!!
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                    X