MVFC Playoff Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MVFC Playoff Outlook

If Bo feels that winning games isn't his main job, you would think he wouldn't become as unhinged as he does when things don't go his way in games.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
      Agree with this 100%. Have to give Pelini a lot of credit. After they lost at NDSU he said there would be changes to the offense. They went from a run heavy ball control type team to a deep passing quick scoring team. I know our coaches would never change something that drastic during the season, probably followed by a quote like "Thats not what we do"
      Actually we went from wide open passing offense with little to no run game to a 50/50 and sometimes higher run to pass ratio this year. All beginning with the second half of the YSU game. But you know...

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        Hopefully both sides of the coaching staff debate can move beyond the ad hominem attacks where those who object to what some say about the Jacks coaching staff are accused of being satisfied with mediocrity or thin-skinned and those critical of staff are constantly calling for Stig's axing .

Nevertheless, don't you think the same complaints directed at SDSU's coaches could be directed at NDSU's for certain decisions they made during both Jacks' games, Youngstown during Hobo Day, UNI for decisions they made during the Jacks' game, etc.? With UNI in particular, I recall comments being made that Farley did not ever need to fear being outcoached by Stig. Curious if the same would be said now.

Whomever made the play call on the Mengarelli run that resulted in the safety against NDSU deserves criticism. I am likely in the minority here, but I thought the TO's during the 'Nova game were less blatant examples of ill-advised play calling, because when I was sitting at the game, I thought the staff might've wanted to ensure they had the proper personnel to counter a possible fake FG -- I assumed any fake would be a pass, so you'd want DBs aligned differently than they might be for a "heavy" traditional FG defense. Conversely, I think the Jacks' staff deserves praise for the stand at the end of the first half of the NDSU playoff game when they opted for the 10-second runoff, which was key in limiting NDSU's opportunities and likely one of the main reasons they did not score at least a FG.

I've said in other threads that I can completely understand Admin. giving Stig mandates to meet next year and then holding him and/or coordinators accountable if they are not met or exceeded. However, extenuating circumstances could arise (e.g., an injury to a star player in Spring camp) that should also be considered. An aspect of Stig's tenure that I have not noticed being discussed much are departures of key players like Hasell, Taylor, and Carr, which I think could be viewed both positively and negatively, the former in that Hasell's departure may have hastened staff finding Rozeboom, the latter in that there could be programmatic issues and/or player/program incongruence that contributed to the players being recruited and then departing, and in the cases of Taylor and Carr, may have detrimentally impacted DB proficiency, at least temporarily, by forcing the staff to rely on younger players sooner than they would've had both stayed.
        I'd have to look back, but I'm not sure anyone has really called for Stig to be fired right now. This belongs in another thread, but next year will likely be the best team he's ever had at SDSU. Their performance should be judged accordingly. Hopefully it will be positive!

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          I'd have to look back, but I'm not sure anyone has really called for Stig to be fired right now. This belongs in another thread, but next year will likely be the best team he's ever had at SDSU. Their performance should be judged accordingly. Hopefully it will be positive!
          Again, what I said was that not everyone critical of the staff is calling for his axing. However, it is not a leap in logic to take a comment specifically stating that the current staff cannot get "us" (the team, and purportedly the fans along for the ride) where we need to be, or we'll never win a NC with Stig at the helm as a call for a change. Granted, they typically do not specify timeframe, but you can find such comments in the Bison Playoff GDT, prior to UNI, and after pretty much every loss this season.
          Last edited by jakejc795; 12-19-2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Hopefully both sides of the coaching staff debate can move beyond the ad hominem attacks where those who object to what some say about the Jacks coaching staff are accused of being satisfied with mediocrity or thin-skinned and those critical of staff are constantly calling for Stig's axing.

Nevertheless, don't you think the same complaints directed at SDSU's coaches could be directed at NDSU's for certain decisions they made during both Jacks' games, Youngstown during Hobo Day, UNI for decisions they made during the Jacks' game, etc.? With UNI in particular, I recall comments being made that Farley did not ever need to fear being outcoached by Stig. Curious if the same would be said now.

Whomever made the play call on the Mengarelli run that resulted in the safety against NDSU deserves criticism. I am likely in the minority here, but I thought the TO's during the 'Nova game were less blatant examples of ill-advised play calling, because when I was sitting at the game, I thought the staff might've wanted to ensure they had the proper personnel to counter a possible fake FG -- I assumed any fake would be a pass, so you'd want DBs aligned differently than they might be for a "heavy" traditional FG defense. Conversely, I think the Jacks' staff deserves praise for the stand at the end of the first half of the NDSU playoff game when they opted for the 10-second runoff, which was key in limiting NDSU's opportunities and likely one of the main reasons they did not score at least a FG.

I've said in other threads that I can completely understand Admin. giving Stig mandates to meet next year and then holding him and/or coordinators accountable if they are not met or exceeded. However, extenuating circumstances could arise (e.g., an injury to a star player in Spring camp) that should also be considered. An aspect of Stig's tenure that I have not noticed being discussed much are departures of key players like Hasell, Taylor, and Carr, which I think could be viewed both positively and negatively, the former in that Hasell's departure may have hastened staff finding Rozeboom, the latter in that there could be programmatic issues and/or player/program incongruence that contributed to the players being recruited and then departing, and in the cases of Taylor and Carr, may have detrimentally impacted DB proficiency, at least temporarily, by forcing the staff to rely on younger players sooner than they would've had both stayed.
            Good post and you seem to be where I'm at.

Any coach at this level is by default open to criticism. It's a high profile position. Lots of emotion from lots of people so that by default will create controversy. I don't follow other teams to know certain situations where criticism would be warranted, but I can look at UNI. I have to believe Farley is on the hot seat. Not all that many years ago UNI was a national title contender every year. In the last few years they've been lucky to make the playoffs. The fan base has to be restless.

As far as the play calls. I understand it's a tough job and I don't know enough about the X's and O's to know bad play calls a lot of the time, but there are some where it's pretty obvious it was a bad call. The play at the goal line against NDSU was an awful call. They are elite in the trenches. How anyone could call a play running into the teeth of their strength makes zero sense to me. We likely don't win that game even if we somehow snake out of that hole, but you never know. If we would have put a drive together a scoring drive that gave our defense a good rest and allowed them to get their feet back under them who knows what could have happened.

Now the TO's at the end of the half against Nova. I could be on board if we were trying to get the correct personnel out there (and that's pry valid on the 2nd and 3rd TO), but the first timeout bailed them out of a delay of game penalty. When Stig uses the excuse they wanted to ice the kicker it's tough to believe because they weren't even lined up yet. Who ices a kicker before they are lined up? That could have cost us that game. Thankfully we made just enough plays to win.

Next year we have on paper the best team ever at SDSU. In order to maximize the results next year we need our coaches to be great too which was my point earlier. We need them to eliminate or minimize mistakes in crucial situations.

Comment

Again, what I said was that not everyone critical of the staff is calling for his axing. However, it is not a leap in logic to take a comment specifically stating that the current staff cannot get "us" (the team, and purportedly the fans along for the ride) where we need to be, or we'll never win a NC with Stig at the helm as a call for a change. Granted, they typically do not specify timeframe, but you can find such comments in the Bison Playoff GDT, prior to UNI, and after pretty much every loss this season.
              Fair enough, understood. Obviously, I'm one of those who thinks we should take another step forward next year. If we don't, I think it is only fair that we take a hard look in the mirror. Hopefully, our reflection in the mirror shows us holding a natty, and we are planning on how to chase down the next one. Not saying it is natty or bust, but with next year's team.......

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                Actually we went from wide open passing offense with little to no run game to a 50/50 and sometimes higher run to pass ratio this year. All beginning with the second half of the YSU game. But you know...

I think you're right, but I'd be interested to look at the break down between runs/passes as the season rolled on (I'm too lazy to look it up). And with that change I don't think we were as good. Look at the last five games of the season. We were pretty meh. Now some of the change was because teams were likely scheming to take away Jake and Dallas, but some of it falls on TC. I think his accuracy in the last half of the season was below average.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  I think you're right, but I'd be interested to look at the break down between runs/passes as the season rolled on (I'm too lazy to look it up). And with that change I don't think we were as good. Look at the last five games of the season. We were pretty meh. Now some of the change was because teams were likely scheming to take away Jake and Dallas, but some of it falls on TC. I think his accuracy in the last half of the season was below average.
                  His accuracy dipped a little but it was hit TD/Int ratio that took a big hit which is what you'll likely notice with the casual eye:

First 7 games: 156 of 236 (66.10%), 24 TDs, 3 INTs
                  Last 6 games: 123 of 198 (62.12%), 6 TDs, 6 INTs

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    His accuracy dipped a little but it was hit TD/Int ratio that took a big hit which is what you'll likely notice with the casual eye:

First 7 games: 156 of 236 (66.10%), 24 TDs, 3 INTs
                    Last 6 games: 123 of 198 (62.12%), 6 TDs, 6 INTs
                    Wow. I'm a tad surprised by those numbers. I just seemed to remember the "misses" TC had on open receivers. Didn't significantly affect his completion percentage.

However, the TD/Int ratio drop off is alarming. What caused the dramatic difference in TD/Int ratio? The simple answer is teams had video to scheme against what we were doing and that's inherently going to bring those down. My next question would be are the coaches not adding new wrinkles or making adjustments? Is it TC being unable to progress as teams start to take away his strengths? Is it a combination?

I can see a slight dip in his numbers, one because it's awful hard to maintain that pace and two we are getting into our MVFC schedule and those teams are familiar with us. But, that large of dip in production is concerning.

Comment

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...cs-title-game/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

It looks like the national championship might fall into Youngstown's lap. Seven players from James Madison reportedly have been suspended for the championship game.

http://wavy.com/2016/12/22/jmu-footb...cs-title-game/
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          It looks like the national championship might fall into Youngstown's lap. Seven players from James Madison reportedly have been suspended for the championship game.

I think it depends on JMU's depth. No doubt a Peleni ticket to FBS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

The seven players did not play against the Bison. They were fine without them against us...

Comment

http://herosports.com/news/fcs-champ...ungstown-state
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Guessing JMU will win, but rooting for YSU. Former Rochester CTC DE Fazson Chapman on YSU roster. Has to be every JC player's dream to wind up in a championship game at any NCAA level. Isaac Freuchte, of Gophers & Vikings is probably most notable as of late.

Comment

Working...
                                X