Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MVFC Playoff Outlook

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    They played their asses off and beat a 3 seed (Jacksonville St.) And a 2 seed (Eastern Wash) to get there.

I wouldnt call that an easy road, especially since I have my doubts that SDSU couldve wouldve done the same.

YSU is Playing great at the right time.
    Exactly, my impression. I did not think Bo would do this much so far in his career at YSU. The guys in trouble well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kPjH8LStzg

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      They played their asses off and beat a 3 seed (Jacksonville St.) And a 2 seed (Eastern Wash) to get there.

I wouldnt call that an easy road, especially since I have my doubts that SDSU couldve wouldve done the same.

YSU is Playing great at the right time.
      Agree with this 100%. Have to give Pelini a lot of credit. After they lost at NDSU he said there would be changes to the offense. They went from a run heavy ball control type team to a deep passing quick scoring team. I know our coaches would never change something that drastic during the season, probably followed by a quote like "Thats not what we do"

Comment

I read what western jack posted and thought, "Geez its early in the day for this." Then I looked at the clock, saw it was after noon and thought "Game on."

PS. Western Jack is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          Can't win in the conference, but the selection committee hands them an easy road to the championship game
          I didn't see it that way.

I think they're well coached, peaking at the right time, and played to win the game.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            You could argue that your first point was the case for most of the games after the YSU game, mostly the offense. They certainly weren't peaking to end the season and maybe some of that could be attributable to feeling themselves a bit too much. Easy to happen to a young team getting unprecedented press with three players being talked about as Peyton Award contenders. We peaked early and didn't sustain it.

Also, JMU is a better team than us. Period.
            Well said

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
              Agree with this 100%. Have to give Pelini a lot of credit. After they lost at NDSU he said there would be changes to the offense. They went from a run heavy ball control type team to a deep passing quick scoring team. I know our coaches would never change something that drastic during the season, probably followed by a quote like "Thats not what we do"
              I agree I doubt we would switch that drastically in the season, but you can't tell me that the offense we have right now is even capable of being mistaken as the same one we had with Sumner and ZZ, so our staff does change to their strengths. You don't end up being ranked something like 59 out of 66 weeks or so since 2012 without having a pretty decent staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I agree I doubt we would switch that drastically in the season, but you can't tell me that the offense we have right now is even capable of being mistaken as the same one we had with Sumner and ZZ, so our staff does change to their strengths. You don't end up being ranked something like 59 out of 66 weeks or so since 2012 without having a pretty decent staff.

I personally don't feel like the staff has improved as much as our talent has. We need our coaches to get better too.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  I personally don't feel like the staff has improved as much as our talent has. We need our coaches to get better too.
                  How did we get said talent? Recruiting is part of what the staff does.

Comment

How did we get said talent? Recruiting is part of what the staff does.

Ok yep. best staff in the fcs.

Lot more to coaching than recruiting. Ask Nagy. I remember him saying he wasnt a good coach in the DII days, just recruited better players than his opponents. Moving to DI he was forced to be a better coach, get the most from his players and putting them in positions to succeed.

Comment

Ok yep. best staff in the fcs.

Lot more to coaching than recruiting. Ask Nagy. I remember him saying he wasnt a good coach in the DII days, just recruited better players than his opponents. Moving to DI he was forced to be a better coach, get the most from his players and putting them in positions to succeed.
                      Wow what a witty and clever response. YOU said the talent was getting better but the coaches were. I pointed out that the coaching staff are the ones who find and develop that talent. The in game calls and strategy are only half of coaching if not less than half. You can be the most talented team on earth but if the coaches can't develops you into a player it's worthless. God forbid I give the coaching staff some credit around here instead of constantly bitching and vaguely inferring that something needs to be done about the coaching staff if things don't change. Never mind that this staff just brought us the most successful season in SDSU football HISTORY. Ever.

But you're right. Coaching staff sucks. Fire them all.

Comment

Wow what a witty and clever response. YOU said the talent was getting better but the coaches were. I pointed out that the coaching staff are the ones who find and develop that talent. The in game calls and strategy are only half of coaching if not less than half. You can be the most talented team on earth but if the coaches can't develops you into a player it's worthless. God forbid I give the coaching staff some credit around here instead of constantly bitching and vaguely inferring that something needs to be done about the coaching staff if things don't change. Never mind that this staff just brought us the most successful season in SDSU football HISTORY. Ever.

But you're right. Coaching staff sucks. Fire them all.

Good grief. Im not saying fire the staff. Not even a little bit. My first post was simply saying we need them (the coaches) to be even better. They need to improve and get better, specifically at in game calls and adjustments.

I'll give you two examples. The TOs at the end of the half in the Nova game and the run play at NDSU that led to the safety.

We've got a lot of thin skinned fans. Calm down bud.

Comment

Good grief. Im not saying fire the staff. Not even a little bit. My first post was simply saying we need them (the coaches) to be even better. They need to improve and get better, specifically at in game calls and adjustments.

I'll give you two examples. The TOs at the end of the half in the Nova game and the run play at NDSU that led to the safety.

Just responded in the same fashion you did with the over the top reaction painting the prior post in the light you deem fit.

Comment

Hopefully both sides of the coaching staff debate can move beyond the ad hominem attacks where those who object to what some say about the Jacks coaching staff are accused of being satisfied with mediocrity or thin-skinned and those critical of staff are constantly calling for Stig's axing.

Nevertheless, don't you think the same complaints directed at SDSU's coaches could be directed at NDSU's for certain decisions they made during both Jacks' games, Youngstown during Hobo Day, UNI for decisions they made during the Jacks' game, etc.? With UNI in particular, I recall comments being made that Farley did not ever need to fear being outcoached by Stig. Curious if the same would be said now.

Whomever made the play call on the Mengarelli run that resulted in the safety against NDSU deserves criticism. I am likely in the minority here, but I thought the TO's during the 'Nova game were less blatant examples of ill-advised play calling, because when I was sitting at the game, I thought the staff might've wanted to ensure they had the proper personnel to counter a possible fake FG -- I assumed any fake would be a pass, so you'd want DBs aligned differently than they might be for a "heavy" traditional FG defense. Conversely, I think the Jacks' staff deserves praise for the stand at the end of the first half of the NDSU playoff game when they opted for the 10-second runoff, which was key in limiting NDSU's opportunities and likely one of the main reasons they did not score at least a FG.

I've said in other threads that I can completely understand Admin. giving Stig mandates to meet next year and then holding him and/or coordinators accountable if they are not met or exceeded. However, extenuating circumstances could arise (e.g., an injury to a star player in Spring camp) that should also be considered. An aspect of Stig's tenure that I have not noticed being discussed much are departures of key players like Hasell, Taylor, and Carr, which I think could be viewed both positively and negatively, the former in that Hasell's departure may have hastened staff finding Rozeboom, the latter in that there could be programmatic issues and/or player/program incongruence that contributed to the players being recruited and then departing, and in the cases of Taylor and Carr, may have detrimentally impacted DB proficiency, at least temporarily, by forcing the staff to rely on younger players sooner than they would've had both stayed.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                              Hopefully both sides of the coaching staff debate can move beyond the ad hominem attacks where those who object to what some say about the Jacks coaching staff are accused of being satisfied with mediocrity or thin-skinned and those critical of staff are constantly calling for Stig's axing.

Nevertheless, don't you think the same complaints directed at SDSU's coaches could be directed at NDSU's for certain decisions they made during both Jacks' games, Youngstown during Hobo Day, UNI for decisions they made during the Jacks' game, etc.? With UNI in particular, I recall comments being made that Farley did not ever need to fear being outcoached by Stig. Curious if the same would be said now.

Whomever made the play call on the Mengarelli run that resulted in the safety against NDSU deserves criticism. I am likely in the minority here, but I thought the TO's during the 'Nova game were less blatant examples of ill-advised play calling, because when I was sitting at the game, I thought the staff might've wanted to ensure they had the proper personnel to counter a possible fake FG -- I assumed any fake would be a pass, so you'd want DBs aligned differently than they might be for a "heavy" traditional FG defense. Conversely, I think the Jacks' staff deserves praise for the stand at the end of the first half of the NDSU playoff game when they opted for the 10-second runoff, which was key in limiting NDSU's opportunities and likely one of the main reasons they did not score at least a FG.

I've said in other threads that I can completely understand Admin. giving Stig mandates to meet next year and then holding him and/or coordinators accountable if they are not met or exceeded. However, extenuating circumstances could arise (e.g., an injury to a star player in Spring camp) that should also be considered. An aspect of Stig's tenure that I have not noticed being discussed much are departures of key players like Hasell, Taylor, and Carr, which I think could be viewed both positively and negatively, the former in that Hasell's departure may have hastened staff finding Rozeboom, the latter in that there could be programmatic issues and/or player/program incongruence that contributed to the players being recruited and then departing, and in the cases of Taylor and Carr, may have detrimentally impacted DB proficiency, at least temporarily, by forcing the staff to rely on younger players sooner than they would've had both stayed.
                              A number of good points made here and rpt points given. I was taken back by Bo Paleni's comment that his job was not to win games but rather to prepare athletes to be successful in life or something to that affect. Its hard to argue with him on that one. In one of my prior posts I posted the link to YouTube and his post game interview.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 12-19-2016, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                A number of good points made here and rpt points given. I was taken back by Bo Paleni's comment that his job was not to win games but rather to prepare athletes to be successful in life or something to that affect. Its hard to argue with him on that one. In one of my prior posts I posted the link to YouTube and his post game interview.
                                Thank you, Nidaros. Random side note -- did you catch the name of the Foundation listed on the backdrop during Pelini's presser? Pelini's situation is unique in that he seemingly has greater financial resources at his disposal and a former FBS football coach as Youngstown's president (not that I would want the latter or anyone of his ilk in SDSU's Admin.).

Comment

Working...
                                X