Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Just a question, because I guess I don't know enough about W. Illinois, and this is NOT intended as smack.

Is this a step up for him? Unless the pay raise is significant, I can't see moving my family and career to a worse team in the Same Conference.

Now, maybe the foundation laid by Glenn has sweetened the pot, and maybe he thinks he's maxed out what he can do at WIU. But, this isn't NDSU or Northern Iowa, or even Youngstown...this is USD.

Or, is the program at USD that much better now than 4 years ago, when they hired Glenn? I'm honestly just wondering, not sure the financial situation at WIU.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
      Just a question, because I guess I don't know enough about W. Illinois, and this is NOT intended as smack.

Is this a step up for him? Unless the pay raise is significant, I can't see moving my family and career to a worse team in the Same Conference.

Now, maybe the foundation laid by Glenn has sweetened the pot, and maybe he thinks he's maxed out what he can do at WIU. But, this isn't NDSU or Northern Iowa, or even Youngstown...this is USD.

Or, is the program at USD that much better now than 4 years ago, when they hired Glenn? I'm honestly just wondering, not sure the financial situation at WIU.
      I was wondering too. Western seems like a decent school and has had good teams that they put out there. Obviously they beat us this year. Also their basketball programs many years are good teams in the league. I would say USD in a little bit better overall as a program and support but thats clearly coming from my yellow and blue glasses on.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

Nielsen's base salary is just above $205,000 (with some incentives). Joe Glenn's salary was $145,000.
        From 2014 (Nielsen's contract info) http://www.rebootillinois.com/2014/1...alaries/26663/

I traveled to the WIU football game this year. Their athletic facilities were, IMO, sub-par. USD's would be a definite step up in that regard. USD offering full COA to its athletes also helps and makes the position attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          Today ought to be the day for an announcement. The recruiting situation might be pressing for a hire to be in place. I was in a restaurant where I spoke to a few Yote players and they are most anxious for a decision to be made. It would be a big blow to WIU to lose a coach so early in his tenure there. Although Macomb and Vermillion are similar sized towns which is less culture shock for a new coach and he does know the MVFC. Have there been any other serious interviews like DeBoer?
          I don't know if they have interviewed but the rumor is DeBoer and Stugart made the medium list (last 8).

As for the move from WIU, I think its likely for the money. Could be wrong.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I don't think we will hear anything until Monday at the earliest. My reasoning. If they were going to announce today the press releases announcing a news conference would have already been sent out and there has not been a peep.

Comment

Might hear an official comment if he accepts.

My guess is he went to WIU and said you have 48 hours to match, or something like that. And now is the waiting period.

Its a solid hire, I don't know if its what I'd call a home run, or a good hire. Just because I don't know, you get a guy who has experience at the level, within the conference, with similar resources, at the same time you get a guy who left for a similar type of job with similar pay (whats to say he doesn't leave for something similar within the next 2-3 years).

You get the head coaching advantage, but not the big name advantage. I still think DeBoer would be an interesting choice. I figured they'd go try to get some type of a big name. But what do I do.

I'd give it a solid B, B+ if it goes down, with the chance for it to rise to a low A.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Might hear an official comment if he accepts.

My guess is he went to WIU and said you have 48 hours to match, or something like that. And now is the waiting period.

Its a solid hire, I don't know if its what I'd call a home run, or a good hire. Just because I don't know, you get a guy who has experience at the level, within the conference, with similar resources, at the same time you get a guy who left for a similar type of job with similar pay (whats to say he doesn't leave for something similar within the next 2-3 years).

You get the head coaching advantage, but not the big name advantage. I still think DeBoer would be an interesting choice. I figured they'd go try to get some type of a big name. But what do I do.

I'd give it a solid B, B+ if it goes down, with the chance for it to rise to a low A.
                With out being in the room hearing everything, I thought Deboer would have been a front runner. He knows the area, the confrence, he is young, had success etc.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The thing about Bob Nielsen is that he finds ways to win the big ones, like on Nov 14th of this year. No doubt he was monitoring the travel progress of SDSU and took advantage of our sloppy and laxidaisal play. Given normal travel the Jacks would have won by two scores at least. He was born the year I graduated from High School 1959. That makes him 58, and his best years are ahead of him. Everywhere he has been he has apparently ran a clean program that wins. His first head coaching job was Ripon and he moved on to Wisc Eau Claire and then on to Minn-Duluth. Its just a matter of him saying yes to USD. This will be a huge plus for USD.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    The thing about Bob Nielsen is that he finds ways to win the big ones, like on Nov 14th of this year. No doubt he was monitoring the travel progress of SDSU and took advantage of our sloppy and laxidaisal play. Given normal travel the Jacks would have won by two scores at least. He was born the year I graduated from High School 1959. That makes him 58, and his best years are ahead of him. Everywhere he has been he has apparently ran a clean program that wins. His first head coaching job was Ripon and he moved on to Wisc Eau Claire and then on to Minn-Duluth. Its just a matter of him saying yes to USD. This will be a huge plus for USD.
                    Nielsen is a much better candidate then DeBoer or Stugart in my opinion. I also think USD is a better job then WIU primarily due to the momentum NDSU and SDSU have driving administration at USD to commit to the program. I think the only way he doesn't take the job is if WIU writes a bigger check and/or he has greater aspirations and wants to stay put until a better offer comes along.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

• Re: Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Just for the record, the Jacks thrashed Western Illinois teams in 2013 and 2014. SDSU won 38-14 two years ago, 59-24 last year, before losing this year 24-30 in two OTs. I don't think the SDSU coaches will be shaking in their boots in facing another Nielsen-led team.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        Just for the record, the Jacks thrashed Western Illinois teams in 2013 and 2014. SDSU won 38-14 two years ago, 59-24 last year, before losing this year 24-30 in two OTs. I don't think the SDSU coaches will be shaking in their boots in facing another Nielsen-led team.
                        In all fairness to Nielsen, he walked into a mess at WIU, and it took two years to make them competitive again. Sure you can point out the big wins in 2013-14, but considering what he had to work with what else could you expect? This year they were competitive, they beat SDSU and also won at UNI in Cedar Falls, so his program definitely showed progress this year. I don't think our staff shakes in their boots very often unless they have a good reason to shake. Nielsen I think they respect and why should they not?

Comment

What mess did Nielsen inherit at WIU? If he leaves now for USD, he'll be leaving the program in a real mess.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            What mess did Nielsen inherit at WIU? If he leaves now for USD, he'll be leaving the program in a real mess.
                            If I recall correctly the former head coach was trying to get his job back after having cancer and the top assistant would not give it up and their was a power struggle and they lost to SDSU three or four years in a row prior to 2013. What have you got against Bob Nielsen? You seem to have a hard on for him. I think he is a very good coach.

Comment

I've got nothing against Nielsen. I've said on this thread that I think he'd be a good hire. It's just too early to call him - or any other coach - a great hire. That's what we usually hear anytime a school hires a new coach.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Just announced: It's Coach Nielsen from Western Illinois

Good hire for them. Be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X