Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe Glenn to Retire ?

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    Tweets from Mick Garry and Jay Elsen hearing from sources Bob Nielsen will be head coach of USD.
    Well, he did just beat SDSU with an inferior team...
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

He's a good coach. That would be a nice get for USD.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Hiring a head coach away from a fellow conference member. Hmm.....

Comment

Isn't he an older coach? Around 60? Seems silly to not hire a little younger....maybe not as coaching, generally is a carousel anyway...If successfull, a younger coach may be equally likely to be gone in 4/5/6 years as well.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Nielsen seems like a good hire for USD. Of course, hiring coaches is like signing recruits. Based on initial impression, there's probably never been a bad addition in the history of college football. It will take a few seasons to tell for sure.
            This space for lease.

Comment

He will get the Howling Pack howling. He knows how to win.

Comment

Another source on the WIU campus says Nielson is denying the speculation to his Leatherneck players.

Comment

All the SF news stations are reporting him as the new coach. At least KELO is and the rest all copy them.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Football Scoop is reporting Nielsen met with his players and told them USD has offered but he hasn't accepted the offer at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Football Scoop is reporting Nielsen met with his players and told them USD has offered but he hasn't accepted the offer at this time.
                      "Sweeten the Pot" approach?

Comment

The coach is telling his players that he has been offered the job but hasn't accepted yet? That doesn't make any sense. If that was the case, what would be his end purpose? They beg to have him stay? The administration responds to the begging so they throw more money/resources at him? It doesn't make sense. As for the coach, he seems to have a proven track record. But, over the many years that I have observed all this coach hiring, I've seen a lot of "sure fire hires" turn into "sure fire misses."

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          Nielsen seems like a good hire for USD. Of course, hiring coaches is like signing recruits. Based on initial impression, there's probably never been a bad addition in the history of college football. It will take a few seasons to tell for sure.
                          I raise you Will Muschamp. No one thinks he'll be good at South Carolina.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post
                            The coach is telling his players that he has been offered the job but hasn't accepted yet? That doesn't make any sense. If that was the case, what would be his end purpose? They beg to have him stay? The administration responds to the begging so they throw more money/resources at him? It doesn't make sense. As for the coach, he seems to have a proven track record. But, over the many years that I have observed all this coach hiring, I've seen a lot of "sure fire hires" turn into "sure fire misses."
                            Maybe he just wants to be honest about what is happening. Whether he ends up taking the job or turning it down, he can look his players in the eye and tell them, "This is how a man conducts his business, without hiding details from the people who matter to him." I would respect that.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              Maybe he just wants to be honest about what is happening. Whether he ends up taking the job or turning it down, he can look his players in the eye and tell them, "This is how a man conducts his business, without hiding details from the people who matter to him." I would respect that.
                              Yeah, it appears he handled telling his players as well as he could. With social media, a rumor was bound to get out there before he could arrange a meeting with his team.

Comment

Today ought to be the day for an announcement. The recruiting situation might be pressing for a hire to be in place. I was in a restaurant where I spoke to a few Yote players and they are most anxious for a decision to be made. It would be a big blow to WIU to lose a coach so early in his tenure there. Although Macomb and Vermillion are similar sized towns which is less culture shock for a new coach and he does know the MVFC. Have there been any other serious interviews like DeBoer?
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X