Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    I hope every big time college football star spends all of their COA on BMW leases, drives around wearing gold chains, and fuels the Beemers with the burning paper of every "outraged" newspaper column from some old white dude who is upset. GFY if you're going to tell someone else how to spend their own money. Don't like that they get paid? Stop watching ESPN college football, stop spending money on tickets and donations to athletic departments, stop participating in March Madness pools, and convince everyone you know do the same. "Can't believe these college kids are spending their money on something stupid! *15 minutes earlier* "When can I start buying tickets to the conference tournament that I wouldn't be going to if these athletes weren't providing entertainment."

/inb4 "they get paid by their free education!"
    I brought up a BMW lease to illustrate how differently student athletes will live compared to their classmates whose fees will be directly or indirectly paying for those luxuries.

If I were a student, I wouldn't be too happy to take out loans so another student can have luxuries.

That's all I was saying, the student body as a whole may push back on FCOA. Not that there's anything they can do about it.

I'm a football season ticket holder and Summit League ticket buyer. I'm for FCOA. I don't care what the kids buy with the $570 as long as they aren't breaking any laws.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      I hope every big time college football star spends all of their COA on BMW leases, drives around wearing gold chains, and fuels the Beemers with the burning paper of every "outraged" newspaper column from some old white dude who is upset. GFY if you're going to tell someone else how to spend their own money. Don't like that they get paid? Stop watching ESPN college football, stop spending money on tickets and donations to athletic departments, stop participating in March Madness pools, and convince everyone you know do the same. "Can't believe these college kids are spending their money on something stupid! *15 minutes earlier* "When can I start buying tickets to the conference tournament that I wouldn't be going to if these athletes weren't providing entertainment."

/inb4 "they get paid by their free education!"
      Like everything, there is a middle ground when it comes to "paying" student athletes.

I'm fine with COA because I understand that it isn't feasible to have a job and be a student-athlete, especially at the DI level. However, I hate when people talk down about the "free" (in quotes because they are working for it) education factor, especially as someone who is still dedicating money from every pay check to pay back my student loans. The value of the education these athletes are getting will be higher than many of their first jobs out of college unless they are good enough to play their sport professionally. Plus, at most schools, the majority of the "loads of money" earned off these kids pay for their facilities, tutoring, travel, hotels, and athletic staff who make it possible for them to get the free education in the first place.

I'd also like to point out that many people are paying to see the name on the front of the jersey more than the name on the back of the jersey when it comes to college athletics. I can think of only 2 players at SDSU that I would have paid to watch if they had nothing to do with my alma mater, and that is Nate Wolters and Zach Zenner, both of who are making money in the pros.

I believe COA is a good thing in terms of balancing a system at the upper echlon of college athletics that hasn't also been fair to the college athlete when revenues are considered, but I also think there is potential for it to swing out of control the other way if we start acting as though college athletes are professionals athletes as well.

In regards to the gold chains and BMWs:

Having X amount of money to spend over the course of the year may be a great learning experience (and isn't that what college is about?) in financial responsibility for the teenagers who are on their own for the first time. Blowing all your money in the first month of school could be a great reality check for some and will prepare them for the real world more-so than many things they'll learn in college.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        Why? Students on full scholarship who choose to live off campus already receive a cash grant equivalent to what it costs to live in the dorms. Food wise, I believe they receive the equivalent of the most expensive meal plan.

Accordig to http://www.sdstate.edu/reslife/reshalls/costs/ that is likely about $4000/year towards rent and $4000/year for food.
        This is correct but wanted to clarify - students on a full scholly that live off campus get cash equivalent of a base dorm room and base meal plan. Who determines what "base" is - that I'm not sure but I think it is the athletic department's discretion.

I've made my point clear - we need to make this happen. If UND, USD and NDSU can make it work, we can to. Someone earlier said Sell's remarks sound alot like why UND and USD didn't go D-I when SDSU/NDSU did. I completely agree with that, 100%! Has Justin done a lot of great things here, yes he has and I'm glad he's leading the SDSU athletic department. But this issue needs to be resolved soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          This is correct but wanted to clarify - students on a full scholly that live off campus get cash equivalent of a base dorm room and base meal plan. Who determines what "base" is - that I'm not sure but I think it is the athletic department's discretion....
          Financial aid people at the university, not the athletic dept. FCOA also determined by the university -- has been for several years as part of the analysis going into student financial aid calculations generally. Nonetheless, some universities have really increased their claim of FCOA to the point that it appears they're pushing it higher so that they pay more to athletes as a recruiting tool. (somebody always figures out a way to game a system.) But, unreasonable increases in FCOA has a negative side: makes it look like the cost of attending that particular school is too high because those figures are used for all students.

Comment

Maybe it just needs a few years to allow the "market" to adjust itself. Where its fair and accurate costs. So wouldnt be surprised to see some swings up and down to get it to where it should be.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              This is correct but wanted to clarify - students on a full scholly that live off campus get cash equivalent of a base dorm room and base meal plan. Who determines what "base" is - that I'm not sure but I think it is the athletic department's discretion.

I've made my point clear - we need to make this happen. If UND, USD and NDSU can make it work, we can to. Someone earlier said Sell's remarks sound alot like why UND and USD didn't go D-I when SDSU/NDSU did. I completely agree with that, 100%! Has Justin done a lot of great things here, yes he has and I'm glad he's leading the SDSU athletic department. But this issue needs to be resolved soon.
              Thanks for the clarification, I got the part about the most expensive meal plan and housing cash equivalents from a different school's website description of what a full athletic scholarship entails. I'm guessing this varies from school to school as athletic department budget allows? If so, savvy recruits/parents probably take it into consideration when comparing offers.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I posted the following in 2016 recruiting thread but thought it was worth mentioning it here as well so the 2016 recruiting thread doesn't get side tracked.

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                What Sean Engel, NDSU recent verbal, said about COA in an interview w/ Dom Izzo:
                "I did ask Engel about cost of attendance and said he and his family spoke to NDSU about it and while it wasn’t a huge factor in his decision, they were definitely made aware that the school is offering it to its athletes."

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/sea....HFXeKQYs.dpuf

Comment

I assume almost everybody went to the link provided by JimmyJack and read the discussion of FCOA. But if you haven't, and I haven't seen many posts that would indicate they did read it, take a moment to do it now:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...pends-athletes

If you don't think that schools will be gaming the system, think again. The whole thing is out of control, because the NCAA thought they could mollify the P5 schools by allowing them to pay their athletes a figure that was determined by each institution with no standard formula. While the universities all figured COA differently, most of them hedged on making it smaller...so they could tell prospective student X that they would spend less money getting their degree than at another institution. Now the race is on, (especially among the P5 culprits) to provide more money to prospective recruits than their competitors (especially if they are making more money than their competitors). Trying to prove the numbers are accurate will never be pursued by the NCAA. The whole thing makes me sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    I assume almost everybody went to the link provided by JimmyJack and read the discussion of FCOA. But if you haven't, and I haven't seen many posts that would indicate they did read it, take a moment to do it now:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...pends-athletes

If you don't think that schools will be gaming the system, think again. The whole thing is out of control, because the NCAA thought they could mollify the P5 schools by allowing them to pay their athletes a figure that was determined by each institution with no standard formula. While the universities all figured COA differently, most of them hedged on making it smaller...so they could tell prospective student X that they would spend less money getting their degree than at another institution. Now the race is on, (especially among the P5 culprits) to provide more money to prospective recruits than their competitors (especially if they are making more money than their competitors). Trying to prove the numbers are accurate will never be pursued by the NCAA. The whole thing makes me sick.
                    With outstanding school loan debt well north of $1 trillion i'm guessing the NCAA is hoping the Feds step in and do their dirty work for them by putting some kind of cap on FCOA.

Comment

Working...
                    X