Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Has anyone considered that it might be easier to secure private funding for COA if we hold off on announcing it while our region rivals jump the gun?
    Or your rivals have already secured the funding?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      Could be... or it could be one of those "act now, ask for forgiveness (state/student funding) later" type of deals.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

USD has. Just ask their student body and their elevated General Activity Fee.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Does anyone know if that distribution by NCAA D1 to help fund COA goes down to the FCS level?

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
            Does anyone know if that distribution by NCAA D1 to help fund COA goes down to the FCS level?
            The $55k distribution goes to all 350 D1 schools. Also, it doesn't have to be used for COA.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              USD has. Just ask their student body and their elevated General Activity Fee.
              The difference in fees between the schools is under $50 per student. And although I stand corrected, I do believe the students themselves voted on this last spring. So nice try.

However, you may want to examine how many dollars each respective schools foundation has given to make the D1 thing happen. I'm not positive that those that give had what has happened in mind when they gave. It looks like one entity has leveraged their future.

Comment

The difference in fees between the schools is under $50 per student. And although I stand corrected, I do believe the students themselves voted on this last spring. So nice try.

However, you may want to examine how many dollars each respective schools foundation has given to make the D1 thing happen. I'm not positive that those that give had what has happened in mind when they gave. It looks like one entity has leveraged their future.
                The difference in General Activity fee between USD and SDSU is $10/credit for 2015-16. Where did you get the $50 figure?

USD students "voted" to raise the GAF to support athletics back early 2015, after being presented with factual information about how much less USD's athletic budget is vs. NDSU or SDSU's athletic budget. They were told the increase would pay for, amongst other details, student athlete support via athletic training/strength and conditioning/coaching salaries and numbers, increased marketing of athletics, and an increase in support for facilities and custodians to keep up with the number of games that USD offers. All seem like basic line items in an athletic budget to me. One could even say they would be items that should be included in a standard operating budget of an athletic department. That is unless that budget all of sudden has an extra cost to fund COA for all of their athletes.

Do you honestly think USD students would have voted to increase their fees if Herbster would have said their additional funding was going to all student athletes as a stipend of spending money? COA wasn't even brought up as an expense of the department when the vote took place.

Two things regarding USD's announcement:
                1. It's pretty discouraging that Herbster was in front of the student body 7 months ago saying that the athletic department was woefully underfunded and needed student fee support to be able to move forward. http://volanteonline.com/2015/02/usd...-d-transition/ And 7 months later they are in the press about offering COA for ALL student athletes.

2. Has the SD BOR turned their head to the stipulation of "no fee increases to support athletics" that they held since the beginning of the D1 transitions?

I'm not sure I get your last point either...Are you comparing dollars that donors have voluntarily pledged to the respective foundations under a "use as needed" concept vs. dollars that students are required to pay as part of their tuition and fees?
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                  The difference in General Activity fee between USD and SDSU is $10/credit for 2015-16. Where did you get the $50 figure?

USD students "voted" to raise the GAF to support athletics back early 2015, after being presented with factual information about how much less USD's athletic budget is vs. NDSU or SDSU's athletic budget. They were told the increase would pay for, amongst other details, student athlete support via athletic training/strength and conditioning/coaching salaries and numbers, increased marketing of athletics, and an increase in support for facilities and custodians to keep up with the number of games that USD offers. All seem like basic line items in an athletic budget to me. One could even say they would be items that should be included in a standard operating budget of an athletic department. That is unless that budget all of sudden has an extra cost to fund COA for all of their athletes.

Do you honestly think USD students would have voted to increase their fees if Herbster would have said their additional funding was going to all student athletes as a stipend of spending money? COA wasn't even brought up as an expense of the department when the vote took place.

Two things regarding USD's announcement:
                  1. It's pretty discouraging that Herbster was in front of the student body 7 months ago saying that the athletic department was woefully underfunded and needed student fee support to be able to move forward. http://volanteonline.com/2015/02/usd...-d-transition/ And 7 months later they are in the press about offering COA for ALL student athletes.

2. Has the SD BOR turned their head to the stipulation of "no fee increases to support athletics" that they held since the beginning of the D1 transitions?

I'm not sure I get your last point either...Are you comparing dollars that donors have voluntarily pledged to the respective foundations under a "use as needed" concept vs. dollars that students are required to pay as part of their tuition and fees?
                  I think there is going to be a backlash from students towards athletics and student athletes over COA if perception is their fees are going towards COA.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I think there is going to be a backlash from students towards athletics and student athletes over COA if perception is their fees are going towards COA.
                    Money is fungible. So yes, despite what USD might say, those fee dollars are, one way or another, going towards the COA--either directly by line item on a budget sheet; or indirectly by freeing up dollars from other sources to be used for the COA.

Which is pretty much the definition of "fungible."

Any argument to the contrary is essentially hand-waiving.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Me too. College athletes on many campuses are already viewed as entitled by many in the student body. At places like USD/NDSU/UND and SDSU, student athletes with an extra $x,000 dollars a year are going to live like kings compared to the average student loan leveraging kid.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Money is fungible. So yes, despite what USD might say, those fee dollars are, one way or another, going towards the COA--either directly by line item on a budget sheet; or indirectly by freeing up dollars from other sources to be used for the COA.

Which is pretty much the definition of "fungible."

Any argument to the contrary is essentially hand-waiving.
                        100% correct.

Here is another way to look at this. Some governing bodies transfer funds from utilities (like a water utility) to the general fund to pay for projects such as a community pool. This is a way to raise funds for a project without raising taxes. Most governing bodies have the authority to do so. However, if one thinks about it, due to the transfer the water utility fund is decreased, and it needs to raise its rates to make up the difference. Does that not feel like a hidden tax on the water ratepayers? It may to some, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

That's what the COA will feel like to students if the COA is supplemented through activity fees and is not a separate fund that needs to generate its own revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Me too. College athletes on many campuses are already viewed as entitled by many in the student body. At places like USD/NDSU/UND and SDSU, student athletes with an extra $x,000 dollars a year are going to live like kings compared to the average student loan leveraging kid.
                          I disagree. The COA is about $570 per month. This is not Get Rich money. The kids that come from well off families will have even more beer money and the kids from lower-income families will not have to get beer from the rich kids.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                            I disagree. The COA is about $570 per month. This is not Get Rich money. The kids that come from well off families will have even more beer money and the kids from lower-income families will not have to get beer from the rich kids.
                            I don't care what Era or family you come from that is a lot of discretionary income for a college student.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                              $570 a month isn't get rich money. However, it is enough to lease a new BMW. Something a traditional student loan accumulator wouldn't dream of doing.

Like I said, compared to their loan accumulating peers, DI athletes on full scholarship with FCOA are going to live like kings.

I'm not against FCOA, only agreeing with an earlier poster who said there could be backlash from student bodies whose fees go toward supporting what they will view as a lavish lifestyle.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                lease a new BMW.
                                What are you saying here? There may be some questionable decisions on how this money is spent?

You hear all the sad stories about how an athlete couldn't make it home for Christmas or something because they couldn't afford a plane ticket. The reality is that most of this money is going to be spent on things similar to a BMW. I think that's the reason some people dislike the idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X