Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    I'm amazed that there's as many of us that aren't concerned about this. RIGHT NOW...NDSU UND and USD are offering around $4500/year in basically walking around money to the same Football recruits that SDSU is offering.

iMO we are at a disadvantage Right now in recruiting against 3 FCS schools in our backyard. I'm willing to bet that it matters to all of those recruits and their families.

This is should be priority #1+ and that was BEFORE USD announced.
    Maybe some one needs to pass the hat. That sometimes works.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      You serious Clark?

What high school senior wouldn't take an extra $5k per year, with zero additional time commitment? Not offering FCOA will hurt us big time.

Reality time, SDSU needs to cut sports if we can't offer FCOA.

SDSU Men's Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling
      NDSU Men's Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Track and Field, Wrestling

Swimming and Diving and Tennis need to go.

SDSU Women's Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball
      NDSU Women's Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball

Buy bye equestrian, swimming and diving, and tennis.

I know there are Title IX considerations, but if NDSU can figure out how to trim out sports nobody cares about anyway there has to be a way.

IMO, either drop sports or start applying some SERIOUS pressure to get NDSU and USD to offer sports that the Summit League sponsors but they don't participate in.
      Yep, I played tennis at SDSU. if USD offered money, I still would have gone to SDSU. A lot of the smaller sports dont have a huge number of scholarships to offer anyway, so the impact would be minimal if any at this point. You think high school kids are going with the mindset they just want to get paid while going to play sports? Maybe I under estimate youth and their ability to make a choice. I would think, things, like what degrees are offered, the coaches, facilities etc would amount to as much if not more then the additional money. Maybe this will change it, and kids will only choose which school offers the most money.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think Aaron Rodgers said it best, we need to RELAX. Unless we are going to start losing current players who are going to trasfer or we cant get a single recruit in any sport, then maybe we should just add a million dollar expense line to the budget and hope and pray it works out. Or we just let the admin who has done an amazing job to get us to where we are. Let them come up and execute the plan. Maybe JackJD is right, if people are so worried about this, hopefully they are sending as many big checks to SDSU to help take care of it.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Yep, I played tennis at SDSU. if USD offered money, I still would have gone to SDSU. A lot of the smaller sports dont have a huge number of scholarships to offer anyway, so the impact would be minimal if any at this point. You think high school kids are going with the mindset they just want to get paid while going to play sports? Maybe I under estimate youth and their ability to make a choice. I would think, things, like what degrees are offered, the coaches, facilities etc would amount to as much if not more then the additional money. Maybe this will change it, and kids will only choose which school offers the most money.
          Maybe it won't matter for recruits in sports like tennis. The scholarships are small, so the COA would be smaller too. It will be huge in sports like football and basketball where the athlete is already paying zero.

Real world example time:

Zach Zenner recently had a quote in the Detroit newspaper about how he just got a smart phone last winter because he was on his dad's data plan. FCOA would have enabled him to get his very own smartphone with data with plenty of money left over to do whatever the heck he wanted. Or he could get a flatscreen and pay his cable bill with premium sports package and Netflix and Hulu. Or he could buy a new computer. Or get his own place instead of living with 5 other football players. Or buy a brand new car (on payments). Or save up $20k for medical school.

You seriously think FCOA won't be a MAJOR factor in the decision making process for football or basketball recruits?

IMO, we either need to start cutting sports or put SERIOUS pressure on schools that don't offer all Summit sponsored sports.

NDSU wants to offer FCOA? Great, SDSU and WIU do too and we are willing to cut baseball to do it. Oh, the Summit is in danger of losing its auto bid if we do that? Wow, that sucks. We don't care because we won't be offering baseball anymore so that we can offer FCOA like the big bad Bison! Take a similar approach with USD.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Maybe it won't matter for recruits in sports like tennis. The scholarships are small, so the COA would be smaller too. It will be huge in sports like football and basketball where the athlete is already paying zero.

Real world example time:

Zach Zenner recently had a quote in the Detroit newspaper about how he just got a smart phone last winter because he was on his dad's data plan. FCOA would have enabled him to get his very own smartphone with data with plenty of money left over to do whatever the heck he wanted. Or he could get a flatscreen and pay his cable bill with premium sports package and Netflix and Hulu. Or he could buy a new computer. Or get his own place instead of living with 5 other football players. Or buy a brand new car (on payments). Or save up $20k for medical school.

You seriously think FCOA won't be a MAJOR factor in the decision making process for football or basketball recruits?

IMO, we either need to start cutting sports or put SERIOUS pressure on schools that don't offer all Summit sponsored sports.

NDSU wants to offer FCOA? Great, SDSU and WIU do too and we are willing to cut baseball to do it. Oh, the Summit is in danger of losing its auto bid if we do that? Wow, that sucks. We don't care because we won't be offering baseball anymore so that we can offer FCOA like the big bad Bison! Take a similar approach with USD.
            Guess we better stop building the rest of the stadium, so we can have some money left over to pay the players now since we wont ever get a recruit ever again with out offering COA.

I will be a little disapointed if a recruit says they only chose SDSU because they got more COA compared to other schools. The things I listed such as degree offered, coaches, scholarship money, etc I think would be placed a bit a head of getting paid.

Comment

It doesn't help, I don't know if it hurts quite as much as some are saying.

1st From every indication, the BBall programs have already been told that they are getting it in time for next year, so my guess is they are recruiting on that indication, in addition you are looking at 2-3 recruits for the year, many whom they are not recruiting against specific schools mentioned, so at worst if it has to be held back a year, it won't kill the program.

Football- This is where you could see an impact, look at football programs, look at SDSU and years in which they struggle, you can pinpoint it to what is called a dead class, one of those classes where the talent wasn't there, people transferred, got kicked out, etc. If this COA leads to lower recruiting talent and numbers it could translate into higher risk being recruited and a dead class is there.

However don't look at it as $4,500, that is per full scholarship, I believe its 63 scholarships over 85 spots, so very few will get the full amount.

Comment

Has anyone considered that it might be easier to secure private funding for COA if we hold off on announcing it while our region rivals jump the gun?
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Has anyone considered that it might be easier to secure private funding for COA if we hold off on announcing it while our region rivals jump the gun?
                  This I can buy....as long as the administration has given our coaches the go ahead to commit to COA.
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Hmm, I am not sure what you are suggesting here. I would agree and think that private funding will be needed to do COA. Trying to match NDSU is going to be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Hmm, I am not sure what you are suggesting here.
                      When your basement is flooding, you don't haggle with the plumber over the price.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Guess we better stop building the rest of the stadium, so we can have some money left over to pay the players now since we wont ever get a recruit ever again with out offering COA.

I will be a little disapointed if a recruit says they only chose SDSU because they got more COA compared to other schools. The things I listed such as degree offered, coaches, scholarship money, etc I think would be placed a bit a head of getting paid.
                        No, we should look at cutting sports.

Sorry to be harsh, but what value do sports like tennis and swimming offer to SDSU? Why do we offer those sports? I would love to hear the argument.

Another harsh assessment: AD Sell is using almost EXACTLY the same argument for not offering FCOA that USD/UND used for not going DI.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Ding ding ding!
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

No, we should look at cutting sports.

Sorry to be harsh, but what value do sports like tennis and swimming offer to SDSU? Why do we offer those sports? I would love to hear the argument.

Another harsh assessment: AD Sell is using almost EXACTLY the same argument for not offering FCOA that USD/UND used for not going DI.
                            The AD is not cutting sports. It is a non-starter. While it may seem like the answer, it is not part of the plan.

Justin Sell has led an expansion of our athletic department like that which we have never seen. Plans for Frost are likely on the way as well. Just because there has not been a public announcement yet on FCOA by SDSU does not mean the AD is resting on its laurels with this. This is a large commitment of resources and it has to be done in a sustainable manner.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

When your basement is flooding, you don't haggle with the plumber over the price.
                              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                                The AD is not cutting sports. It is a non-starter. While it may seem like the answer, it is not part of the plan.

Justin Sell has led an expansion of our athletic department like that which we have never seen. Plans for Frost are likely on the way as well. Just because there has not been a public announcement yet on FCOA by SDSU does not mean the AD is resting on its laurels with this. This is a large commitment of resources and it has to be done in a sustainable manner.
                                Totally agree. This admin has done nothing for me to question them this much.

I guess I will be content to wait and see. Won't get my unders in a bunch over it.

Comment

Working...
                                X