X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    what about LaCrosse? Denver currently plays the sport
    Nooo! Not LaaaaaaCrossssssseeeee!!!! (Can get away with it, now that we FINALLY got an FBS football win...)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Mick Garry started a series of reports for USD/SDSU campus improvements and donors who help these steps. He also touched the COA situation.
      "Another budget hike is coming with the addition of cost of attendance stipends that USD has announced it will pass along to its scholarship athletes. SDSU doing some version of the same thing is considered a foregone conclusion."
      He also threw out some general numbers for the budgets, "The athletic budget at USD for 2013-14 was listed at $10,668,620 and $13,941,962 at SDSU. At USD that number is expected to go up to approximately $12 million this year and to $16 million at SDSU."
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Zim did an interview with Justin Sell. I certainly didn't get a warm and fuzzy feel about offering FCOA it in all sports.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...book/72547008/

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Zim did an interview with Justin Sell. I certainly didn't get a warm and fuzzy feel about offering FCOA it in all sports.

Yeah I didn't either but that's like it said around a 1 million dollar expense to account for. It might take us a little longer to get there since we are hitting up donors for all sorts of projects. I trust the admin will have something official soon enough.like most think it will probably be for basketball since that's probably the easiest area to start it. Maybe its a couple years like 2-3 to get all sports covered. I'm not really worried we are going to lose all the recruits to und and usd just because they are going to offer money to start with.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post

I'm not too concerned at this point. We need to be able to implement FCOA so that it is sustainable and does not affect our ability to offer the array of sports we are offering. I suspect we are doing just that as we speak.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Yeah I didn't either but that's like it said around a 1 million dollar expense to account for. It might take us a little longer to get there since we are hitting up donors for all sorts of projects. I trust the admin will have something official soon enough.like most think it will probably be for basketball since that's probably the easiest area to start it. Maybe its a couple years like 2-3 to get all sports covered. I'm not really worried we are going to lose all the recruits to und and usd just because they are going to offer money to start with.
              I think the impact with those SDSU recruits who are also being recruited by UND, USD or NDSU will be instant. You may also see some of our current verbals being poached by those schools being able and willing to offer up the Cost of Attendence.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                You serious Clark?

What high school senior wouldn't take an extra $5k per year, with zero additional time commitment? Not offering FCOA will hurt us big time.

Reality time, SDSU needs to cut sports if we can't offer FCOA.

SDSU Men's Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling
                NDSU Men's Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Track and Field, Wrestling

Swimming and Diving and Tennis need to go.

SDSU Women's Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball
                NDSU Women's Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball

Buy bye equestrian, swimming and diving, and tennis.

I know there are Title IX considerations, but if NDSU can figure out how to trim out sports nobody cares about anyway there has to be a way.

IMO, either drop sports or start applying some SERIOUS pressure to get NDSU and USD to offer sports that the Summit League sponsors but they don't participate in.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  I'm not too concerned at this point. We need to be able to implement FCOA so that it is sustainable and does not affect our ability to offer the array of sports we are offering. I suspect we are doing just that as we speak.
                  Why? I honestly don't care at all about equestrian, tennis, or swimming and diving.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I think the impact with those SDSU recruits who are also being recruited by UND, USD or NDSU will be instant. You may also see some of our current verbals being poached by those schools being able and willing to offer up the Cost of Attendence.
                    As a matter of fact, who is currently playing that hasn't redshirted? We are not only in danger of losing recruits, but current players, no? Reed Tellinghuisen anybody???

Comment

• Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

One could argue that we are better off without the student-athletes that make a decision like that. If that's the case, they are becoming a student-athlete for the wrong reason, and don't value what SDSU has to offer and probably wouldn't buy into the program and be successful anyway. I don't think the number that end up changing their minds or deciding against SDSU because of a lack of FCOA at this time will make a noticeable difference. Long term, after much more important facility upgrades are complete, I believe FCOA will be implemented and their will be money available to do so.

Comment

The sky is not falling. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and trust those that got us this far. USD made the announcement with no idea how they intend to pay for it. Would you prefer we do that?

From the sound of the Zimmer article SDSU will do what they had planned to do from day one. Begin by funding certain sports and, once a full funding mechanism is in place we will fund them all, including FB. To date Sell has done an awesome job. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. We have the right people at the top. Let them do their job.

Comment

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            One could argue that we are better off without the student-athletes that make a decision like that. If that's the case, they are becoming a student-athlete for the wrong reason, and don't value what SDSU has to offer and probably wouldn't buy into the program and be successful anyway. I don't think the number that end up changing their minds or deciding against SDSU because of a lack of FCOA at this time will make a noticeable difference. Long term, after much more important facility upgrades are complete, I believe FCOA will be implemented and their will be money available to do so.
                            Really? Might as well go DIII if the only student athletes we want are the ones who don't take finances into account when choosing a school.

IMO, $20,000 worth of walking around money would be a deal-breaker for almost any college student in America.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              While i think it's admirable that we offer opportunities in so many sports, i just don't think it's realistic anymore. The USD football program sucks right now but offering a recruit $4300 a year in spending money might change that. A bigger problem is recruiting against NDSU,which is already a challenge. Throw in UND and we are really putting Stig at a disadvantage.

Comment

I'm amazed that there's as many of us that aren't concerned about this. RIGHT NOW...NDSU UND and USD are offering around $4500/year in basically walking around money to the same Football recruits that SDSU is offering.

iMO we are at a disadvantage Right now in recruiting against 3 FCS schools in our backyard. I'm willing to bet that it matters to all of those recruits and their families.

This is should be priority #1+ and that was BEFORE USD announced.
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X