2013 FCS Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 FCS Playoffs

Well, I must say I'm pleased. No CAA teams left and really no true "east coast" teams. Georgia Southern is just that, southern. Certainly a major contrast between NDSU and the 3 remaining. I think SHSU can contain EWU's offense but I may be wrong. I think we'll see a rematch of last years championship with a similar result.

I hope the good old boys from north of the Mason-Dixie line east of the Appalachians are paying attention to the the programs from the wild wild west. Will the Bison D give up an offensive TD in this post-season?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In the NCAA program that I paid 5 bucks for at the EIU game, they listed the selection committee. Whats a guy from U Of Dayton doing on there was my first thought, but looking through the list of members the non-scholarship schools seem to be over represented. They choose Colgate to be part of the playoff scheme. Was not the only USD win over a school named Colgate? When I was a kid in the late 1940's you heard the Colgate scores every Saturday as well as Lehigh, and Villinova. Apparently they offered scholarships back then but don't now. I guess what I am trying to say is that I agree with Jackmd in that none of the of the CAA schools are left. They seemed to have a way with the selection committee. I would like to see President Chicoine, Bescini NDSU or Abbott be on that committee. Finally it looks like a bizon repeat. I dont think there is any one left to take them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        In the NCAA program that I paid 5 bucks for at the EIU game, they listed the selection committee. Whats a guy from U Of Dayton doing on there was my first thought, but looking through the list of members the non-scholarship schools seem to be over represented. They choose Colgate to be part of the playoff scheme. Was not the only USD win over a school named Colgate? When I was a kid in the late 1940's you heard the Colgate scores every Saturday as well as Lehigh, and Villinova. Apparently they offered scholarships back then but don't now. I guess what I am trying to say is that I agree with Jackmd in that none of the of the CAA schools are left. They seemed to have a way with the selection committee. I would like to see President Chicoine, Bescini NDSU or Abbott be on that committee. Finally it looks like a bizon repeat. I dont think there is any one left to take them out.
        Colgate was an automatic qualifier from their conference. They had to be included.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Colgate was an automatic qualifier from their conference. They had to be included.
          Correct. They did leave out Lehigh (I think they only had 2 losses) because of their "non-scholarship" status. I think the committee is too east coast biased right now. I think I've made that clear. I understand that the FCS division is heavily embedded in the east and northeast. I understand that travel is more difficult in the west and midwest. I also understand that it isn't entirely fair to match the 2nd place team from the best conference in the FCS ranks with the #1 team in the nation in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Thanks I was not aware of that. The MVFC is not represented like it should, and yes its too eastern controlled. Lot of "has beens" in terms of tradition, Lehigh, Colgate, Fordam and Villinova who dropped scholarship football in the 1970's.

Comment

Of the 4 left, 3 are the AQs of SoCon, MVFC, and Big Sky, and the 4th is last year's runner up, who returned a ton of that championship game team.

SHSU will have played the three Big Sky entries in the play-offs if they make the finals.

NDSU will get two Triple Option teams to make the Frisco game for a 2nd year.

Those left have some good FCS pedigrees, except Sam Houston.

Comment

Good to see that the Patriot at least is adding scholarships in the future. Now the OVC teams that you guys played (EIU) have a history of poor playoff performance. Haven't won a playoff game with their automatic bid since 2000 or 2001. (Not knocking your win it was a beat down, just saying for these automatics conferences and their lack of production)

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...olarship+model

"The Patriot League plan will allow schools to begin offering 15 athletics scholarships in football beginning with the 2013 season, with the potential to add 15 per year up to the predetermined limit of 60. The Football Championship Subdivision allows 63 total scholarships, though legislation eliminating three scholarships in football is pending before the Presidential Advisory Group, which has the final say on all FCS issues."
                "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Correct. They did leave out Lehigh (I think they only had 2 losses) because of their "non-scholarship" status.
                  They went 10-1 but lost the conference to Colgate on the second to last game of the year. I know how the story goes, easiest way to make the playoffs is to win the conference and there is no doubt. But it's still too bad with their past playoff performances.

Previous Playoffs
                  in 2010 they beat UNI 14-7
                  in 2011 they beat Towson 40-38

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Lot of "has beens" in terms of tradition, Lehigh, Colgate, Fordam and Villinova who dropped scholarship football in the 1970's.
                    Not trying to prove you wrong, just so you know more of past FCS history.
                    Here is the list of previous winners.
                    http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fcs

FCS Championships
                    2009 Villanova 23-21 Montana
                    2003 Delaware 40-0 Colgate
                    1979 Eastern Kentucky 30-7 Lehigh

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd View Post
                      They went 10-1 but lost the conference to Colgate on the second to last game of the year. I know how the story goes, easiest way to make the playoffs is to win the conference and there is no doubt. But it's still too bad with their past playoff performances.

Previous Playoffs
                      in 2010 they beat UNI 14-7
                      in 2011 they beat Towson 40-38
                      I didn't say it was fair they left Lehigh out. I know their history. I was giving the committee credit for omitting Lehigh for their loss of the autobid to Colgate. Lehigh has a solid program and would have been a formidable playoff opponent. That doesn't excuse the loss to Colgate and the committee agreed with that.

Thanks for the history lesson though, always good to know the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I didn't say it was fair they left Lehigh out. I know their history
                        You said, "(I think they only had 2 losses)". I just wanted to clarify they had only one loss, and then I expanded from there. No worries.

Comment

Working...
                        X