UNI on the Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNI on the Spot

I don't think that they will win out but their schedule is set up about as good as it could be. They do play Southern Illinois on the road but their other road games are @ Western Illinois and @ USD. They play the tougher teams at home(NDSU, SDSU, Illinois State and Missouri State). If they could switch Southern Illinois and Missouri State, it would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      According to the UNI guys over on FCS forum a staff member stumbled upon a press release from FSU that they were playing Savannah State. SSU didn't even call UNI, UNI called them to see what was up. SSU's response: "Oh we were going to get to calling you". Pretty unprofessional, SDSU AD beware! It left UNI scrambling for a game, unfortunately they could only get a D2 team, in a year where they had two FBS teams.
      If that is the truth that sucks for UNI. I'm sure they will put huge buyouts on all contracts from now on out.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        If that is the truth that sucks for UNI. I'm sure they will put huge buyouts on all contracts from now on out.
        Yeah, I agree...that's a dick move by Unsavy st.Couldn't have happened to a better team though......
        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

33-21 and it wasn't even that close....garbage TD at very end of game.

1-4 is a tough spot to be in with a D2 win. Even if UNI runs the table I don't think they will get in....I don't think 7 D1 wins is a rule...might be wrong. UNI will be a tough game for everyone in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
            33-21 and it wasn't even that close....garbage TD at very end of game.1-4 is a tough spot to be in with a D2 win. Even if UNI runs the table I don't think they will get in....I don't think 7 D1 wins is a rule...might be wrong. UNI will be a tough game for everyone in the Valley.
            Nothing in the rule says you must have 7 wins, it's just nobody has ever made it in without at least 7 wins as an at-large
            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
              Nothing in the rule says you must have 7 wins, it's just nobody has ever made it in without at least 7 wins as an at-large
              Didn't isu red last year get left out? I thought for the first time a valley school had some one left out recently. Don't quote me on it though.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Didn't isu red last year get left out? I thought for the first time a valley school had some one left out recently. Don't quote me on it though.
                ISUr got left out with a 7-4 record, all of those were DI games.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                  This only makes sense,if you only have 20 spots for the play-offs, and 21 teams vying for a spot in the play-offs,all with seven D1 wins,someone has to be left out.It would be left up to the selection committee to decide who gets in and who's left out.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Yep and in 2010 UNI auto bid, western Illinois and NDSU all got bids, both wiu and UNI laid eggs and I think that's why the valley only got 2 last year, we could easily see 3 this year as long as nobody melts down
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

If the playoff selection committee wouldn't take a 7-4 (with a D2 win) Montana team in 2010, they won't take this year's UNI team if they end up 7-4 unless they somehow manage to get the MVC auto bid. The NCAA gave up a lot of money not giving Montana a home game that year in the playoffs (and we know they don't like doing that), so they won't have a problem leaving out a UNI team that averages roughly 10,000 less fan a game.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

My understanding is NCAA only gets the money that was bid by the host team, hard to say if Montana's bid would have been compared to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
                          My understanding is NCAA only gets the money that was bid by the host team, hard to say if Montana's bid would have been compared to someone else.
                          Those are non seeded games, and also nobody but JMU, App St and maybe a select few others can outbid UM.There is no bidding if you are up against a seeded team then the higher seed always gets the home game. We in 2010 outbid RMU foe the home game then went on the road to Montana St and EWU because they were seeds and NDSU wasn't
                          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
                            No. The NCAA gets a set percentage of the net(something like 65-75%) or the amount bid, whichever is greater. Say a school bids $50k and brings in $100k. The NCAA will get around $70k in that case. Now say a school bids $50k, but only brings in $25k. The school is still on the hook for the $50k and ends up having to pull $25k from other funds in order to pay the bill.

But tjbison is also correct in that this only applies to non-seed to non-seed matchups. Well, that's not exactly the case. A seeded team still needs to submit a minimum bid to get their home game. If a school can't afford the minimum bid and knows they won't be able to bring in enough fans to cover it, they have the option of not bidding and allowing their opponent to get the game. Don't think it's ever happened, but it could.

Still, this money issue did have an effect last year. Had Montana been the last team in, they would've had to play in an unseeded first-round game. That game would've been held at Montana and would have made money for the NCAA. The selection left that money on the table because Montana decided to schedule a DII team and couldn't get to 7 DI wins.

Comment

Working...
                            X