Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trouble up in Bison Land Again

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    RO: You may want to consider a do-over on that statement. Or, consider using the "Edit Post" option. Can't you come up with examples of crimes committed off-campus, out-of-season, etc. that justify getting booted from an athletic team? Sure you can. And so can everyone else.

I think the point you are making is that in these particular cases, the crimes charged and now admitted, do not justify booting off a player on the football team. Seems to me that's within the realm of a reasonable opinion although, like you, I think many would have a different opinion. Certainly you're not saying that no matter what the crime happens to be, if it doesn't involve the sport, the athlete/criminal shouldn't be sanctioned by the coach...are you?
    Maybe I was too extreme, I think you are right. I just think that a majority of the stuff that people get fired up over for college athletics (drugs, alcohol, bribes, benefits, etc.) is bull****. I definitely took my opinion too far in my previous post, but I'll stick by the general sentiment of the post. And I'm not going to edit it, because it's something I thought through and wrote. No use changing it now.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

This thread is as lame as the usd smack thread now.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My suggestion is we get RO and Zoo to agree to a televised debate. We could do it a Cubbys and I bet it'd be a hell of a lot more entertaining than the one on the tube tonight.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          Maybe I was too extreme, I think you are right. I just think that a majority of the stuff that people get fired up over for college athletics (drugs, alcohol, bribes, benefits, etc.) is bull****. I definitely took my opinion too far in my previous post, but I'll stick by the general sentiment of the post. And I'm not going to edit it, because it's something I thought through and wrote. No use changing it now.
          Whoa, wait a second.

Its OK for college athletes to accept bribes?
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            Not sure you can make the bolded statement. Kids do dumb stuff everywhere, and they have in the past at SDSU. It isn't possible to babysit 60+ college kids.

The difference is how the staff approaches recruiting and problems (before and after they occur).

I agree with your statement of more off field incidents at NDSU. Bohl doesn't need to worry about that, though. Barring something that gets him fired on the spot, he will be long gone before there are any consequences.
            It is not possible to bady sit 60 college kids???. Any head coach who looks upon his responsibities as baby sitting does not deserve to be head coach. He has hand picked every recruit and the total package for a full ride is in the neighborhood of 75 thousand dollars. Thats a bunch of bucks. Also the Head Coach is no different than a commander of a nuclear submarine, in which he may be in charge of 100 or more men. Is the commander a baby sitter too? I dont think so. There might be times when he feels like a baby sitter, but on the positive side he sees himself as the person who makes everything work. This is how I feel a head coach must act.

The new coaches added this year had brought some ideas on how to better baby sit these college kids and Stig has incorpated them in to his system. I might be being bold in saying our coaches would have dedected this voter fraud mess, but I do know that they check bars in the evening at least they did at the D2 level, and I doubt that has changed. Also I think any outside employment has to be cleared with someone in the HPER, like Kathy Heylands, who is the compliance person. I dont know where the compliance people where in Fargo on this matter, but they either approved it or the players never discussed this with any one in authority. This little detail seems to have been missed by the media.
            NoVa mentioned the quota system used by this company and it is apparently illegal, and maybe for that reason alone, they will eat their expense of $140,000.

Comment

Whoa, wait a second.

If you dont get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                It is not possible to bady sit 60 college kids???. Any head coach who looks upon his responsibities as baby sitting does not deserve to be head coach. He has hand picked every recruit and the total package for a full ride is in the neighborhood of 75 thousand dollars. Thats a bunch of bucks. Also the Head Coach is no different than a commander of a nuclear submarine, in which he may be in charge of 100 or more men. Is the commander a baby sitter too? I dont think so. There might be times when he feels like a baby sitter, but on the positive side he sees himself as the person who makes everything work. This is how I feel a head coach must act.

The new coaches added this year had brought some ideas on how to better baby sit these college kids and Stig has incorpated them in to his system. I might be being bold in saying our coaches would have dedected this voter fraud mess, but I do know that they check bars in the evening at least they did at the D2 level, and I doubt that has changed. Also I think any outside employment has to be cleared with someone in the HPER, like Kathy Heylands, who is the compliance person. I dont know where the compliance people where in Fargo on this matter, but they either approved it or the players never discussed this with any one in authority. This little detail seems to have been missed by the media.
                NoVa mentioned the quota system used by this company and it is apparently illegal, and maybe for that reason alone, they will eat their expense of $140,000.
                Maybe babysitting was a bad choice of words.

I think we are basically saying the same things, a staff can:

-Recruit the right kind of kids
                -Check bars
                -Clear outside employment
                -Make sure kids are going to class
                -Etc, etc, etc

However, they can't be with a kid 24/7. Kids will still get in trouble maybe its an underage and not grand theft auto. The military has tons of requirements, rules, and penalties for all kinds of behavior, but that doesn't mean seamen act like saints all the time.

I think a big part of this that might be overlooked is accountability to teammates (which goes back to recruiting). I think if an SDSU player got a DUI, they would hear from their teammates first. At NDSU, I get the impression its business as usual in the locker room.

I get the feeling that Bohl doesn't have the right systems in place to try to keep things in line.
                Last edited by SF_Rabbit_Fan; 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: clarity
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

Also I think any outside employment has to be cleared with someone in the HPER, like Kathy Heylands, who is the compliance person. I dont know where the compliance people where in Fargo on this matter, but they either approved it or the players never discussed this with any one in authority. This little detail seems to have been missed by the media.
                  I don't think the problem is with the job itself , the problems are with the shortcuts and bad decisions the players made on how they did the job. I don't see where their compliance people can be blamed for the outcome,even if they approved the original employment.

Comment

Whoa, wait a second.

I meant like if a school or booster pays them to go to the school or if they sell memorabilia or autographs for cash (Ohio State). I don't have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      I meant like if a school or booster pays them to go to the school or if they sell memorabilia or autographs for cash (Ohio State). I don't have a problem with it.
                      So the athletics go to the highest bidder?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        I don't think the problem is with the job itself , the problems are with the shortcuts and bad decisions the players made on how they did the job. I don't see where their compliance people can be blamed for the outcome,even if they approved the original employment.
                        On seconds thoughts, I dont see that we can blame anyone for this fiasco, there seems to be enough blame to go around. Its like the capture of the Pueblo. No one was stuck with all the blame.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                          So the athletics go to the highest bidder?
                          They don't now???

Comment

Yep, there's the rub.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

trouble they are having today is stopping Shakir Bell. Indiana State leads by 4 and is driving with about 7 left

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                                trouble they are having today is stopping Shakir Bell. Indiana State leads by 4 and is driving with about 7 left
                                3.7 yards per carry for Shakir Bell and 88 total yards rushing for Indiana State is not trouble. This game was a mirror of last year's YSU loss. In that one, we got killed by turnovers, one by our RB that had like one previous career fumble and on that play, he had no one even close to him when he fumbled on a breakaway TD run. Yesterday, our QB that threw four intrrceptions in his last 20 games, ended the loss with three, two of those going for six the other way. ISU played great, and deserved to win. Just don't get used to seeing that kind of performance again from the Bison any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X