Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Trouble up in Bison Land Again

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Now thats a non-partisan way of describing the staffers.
    Well... you know, birds of a feather and all that.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I'm not really outraged, but it seems a little more serious than the sentences and lack of suspensions.

If zooropa's numbers are correct, their mistake cost a group $140,000. I wonder if they will seek any sort of compensation for their loss...

I have a pretty good guess how Bisonville would feel about this if similar actions cost them a vote on something like a new basketball arena.
      Seems unlikely.

There were definitely torts committed, but the cost of litigating them would, I think, be prohibitive.

Comment

If I was a North Dakota voter or public official, I'd be outraged. Crucial decisions got hijacked from voters because of a bunch of lazy and dishonest petition carriers who were being paid to gather signatures, not fake them. I'm not a North Dakota voter, so I'm more amused than outraged. Overall, the situation reflects poorly on NDSU because of the institution's low level of indignation. The situation reflects especially poorly on the NDSU football, and that's unfortunate because most of the team members did nothing wrong.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          If I was a North Dakota voter or public official, I'd be outraged. Crucial decisions got hijacked from voters because of a bunch of lazy and dishonest petition carriers who were being paid to gather signatures, not fake them. I'm not a North Dakota voter, so I'm more amused than outraged. Overall, the situation reflects poorly on NDSU because of the institution's low level of indignation. The situation reflects especially poorly on the NDSU football, and that's unfortunate because most of the team members did nothing wrong.
          Paid solicitors who faked signatures on voter registration drives helped lead to ACORN's downfall. It's taken seriously all over the country. Current examples: http://ohio.mediatrackers.org/2012/0...ent-petitions/ and http://www.freep.com/article/2012080...lection-fiasco

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

Of course, all they did is lie, so, you know, no biggie.
            I didn't actually read what you wrote, but I'm sure it was super important. What my post was talking about was not whether anyone cared whether or not they lied or were prosecuted (I guess I don't actually care about that either, though, if I'm being honest). What I meant in my post was whether or not anyone cared that what they did did not result in a football suspension. Because I don't at all. They went through the court system and will get punished or not punished or whatever. Has nothing to do with football, so I could give a rat's ass if they are suspended or not.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              I didn't actually read what you wrote, but I'm sure it was super important. What my post was talking about was not whether anyone cared whether or not they lied or were prosecuted (I guess I don't actually care about that either, though, if I'm being honest). What I meant in my post was whether or not anyone cared that what they did did not result in a football suspension. Because I don't at all. They went through the court system and will get punished or not punished or whatever. Has nothing to do with football, so I could give a rat's ass if they are suspended or not.
              RO - not sure i can agree with you on this (which is fine) unless I"m misunderstanding your point (which I could be). A lot of things college athlete do don't have anything to do with football or the sport that they play, and they still deserve a suspension for causing negative publicity to the university they represent and breaking the code of conduct for the university they attend. Under your logic here, a college athlete shouldn't be suspended for any crime as long as it doesn't have anything to do with football? Sell a trunk load of drugs...no biggie as it isn't related to the knowledge of the cover 2 defense. Assault a group of students downtown - no worries, didn't happen at the stadium.

If you want to argue that they didn't deserve a suspension based on the level of their crime that is fine...but to say they don't deserve a suspension because it isn't related to football is a different story.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                RO - not sure i can agree with you on this (which is fine) unless I"m misunderstanding your point (which I could be). A lot of things college athlete do don't have anything to do with football or the sport that they play, and they still deserve a suspension for causing negative publicity to the university they represent and breaking the code of conduct for the university they attend. Under your logic here, a college athlete shouldn't be suspended for any crime as long as it doesn't have anything to do with football? Sell a trunk load of drugs...no biggie as it isn't related to the knowledge of the cover 2 defense. Assault a group of students downtown - no worries, didn't happen at the stadium.

If you want to argue that they didn't deserve a suspension based on the level of their crime that is fine...but to say they don't deserve a suspension because it isn't related to football is a different story.
                You understood what I was saying: Unless it involves the sport, I don't think an athlete deserves a separate punishment. And I do realize that I'm in the (extreme) minority, but it's just my own philosophy. If an athlete receives a punishment or court date or something similar that causes them to miss a practice or game or meeting, then I think a separate punishment is warranted. Again, I realize that very few people feel this way or agree.

Comment

I didn't actually read what you wrote
                  Which, of course, won't stop you from having an opinion on it.

Comment

Which, of course, won't stop you from having an opinion on it.
                    My only opinion is that I don't feel like reading it. So I guess you're right?

Comment

My only opinion is that I don't feel like reading it.
                      Sadly, that's not your only opinion on it. It's the only opinion you'll acknowledge, but hardly the only one you harbor.

Comment

Its no different then any other school trying to minimize the damage. If ndsu was having a down year and not in line for repeat nc do you think it would blow over so easy or since they are not as good they would have been punished by the school because they had nothing to lose.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sadly, that's not your only opinion on it. It's the only opinion you'll acknowledge, but hardly the only one you harbor.
                          I honestly have no opinion on what you wrote, because, as I said, I didn't read it. I have shared my opinions about the rest of the matter. I couldn't tell you if my opinions relate to anything you wrote because I have stopped reading your posts if they go beyond a sentence or two.

Comment

I honestly have no opinion on what you wrote...I have stopped reading your posts
                            Naturally, you are incapable of seeing the contradiction inherent in these statements.

Comment

Naturally, you are incapable of seeing the contradiction inherent in these statements.
                              It is definitely a contradiction when you edit out the part where I say "if they go beyond a sentence or two."

Naturally.

Comment

You understood what I was saying: Unless it involves the sport, I don't think an athlete deserves a separate punishment. And I do realize that I'm in the (extreme) minority, but it's just my own philosophy. If an athlete receives a punishment or court date or something similar that causes them to miss a practice or game or meeting, then I think a separate punishment is warranted. Again, I realize that very few people feel this way or agree.
                                RO: You may want to consider a do-over on that statement. Or, consider using the "Edit Post" option. Can't you come up with examples of crimes committed off-campus, out-of-season, etc. that justify getting booted from an athletic team? Sure you can. And so can everyone else.

I think the point you are making is that in these particular cases, the crimes charged and now admitted, do not justify booting off a player on the football team. Seems to me that's within the realm of a reasonable opinion although, like you, I think many would have a different opinion. Certainly you're not saying that no matter what the crime happens to be, if it doesn't involve the sport, the athlete/criminal shouldn't be sanctioned by the coach...are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X