Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    This looks like a page out of the Carr Report and sometimes the experts are wrong. For those who do not recognize the name, its the first study made for SDSU in making the move to D1. I see the importance of getting a footing in the SF market, but as the UC-Davis game in 2005 game revealed, the SF interest was not there, nor was it automatic frothing at the mouths by the populace who lacked SDSU connections.
    Not meant to be confrontational or directed specifically at you, but people keep talking about how the Sioux Falls football experiment was a failure. I'm not so sure.

The SDSU game in Sioux Falls drew just over 7200 on a chilly/cold/windy day riding a 3 game losing streak. There were 3 home games that drew more that year: one just barely, one was Hobo Day, and the other had a top 15 ranking on 65+ degree day. 7200 in Sioux Falls at that point in time should be viewed as a success, maybe even a HUGE success.

Generally speaking, the product on the field was about the same from 05-07, but attendance went up sharply. Heck, last year we had a losing record and still managed to average over 12,000 at home. There are no doubt a ton of factors why, but isn't it at least possible that some of our increased attendance is a result of the increased exposure/interest from a game in Sioux Falls?

I guess what I'm saying is games in Sioux Falls are investments. From my limited knowledge of investments, they usually have an upfront cost and sometimes take a number of years to pay off.

Food for thought: USD has largely followed SDSU's transitional gameplan. If the Sioux Falls experiment was such a bitter failure, would they be so quick and eager to do the same thing?
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Not meant to be confrontational or directed specifically at you, but people keep talking about how the Sioux Falls football experiment was a failure. I'm not so sure.The SDSU game in Sioux Falls drew just over 7200 on a chilly/cold/windy day riding a 3 game losing streak. There were 3 home games that drew more that year: one just barely, one was Hobo Day, and the other had a top 15 ranking on 65+ degree day. 7200 in Sioux Falls at that point in time should be viewed as a success, maybe even a HUGE success.Generally speaking, the product on the field was about the same from 05-07, but attendance went up sharply. Heck, last year we had a losing record and still managed to average over 12,000 at home. There are no doubt a ton of factors why, but isn't it at least possible that some of our increased attendance is a result of the increased exposure/interest from a game in Sioux Falls? I guess what I'm saying is games in Sioux Falls are investments. From my limited knowledge of investments, they usually have an upfront cost and sometimes take a number of years to pay off.Food for thought: USD has largely followed SDSU's transitional gameplan. If the Sioux Falls experiment was such a bitter failure, would they be so quick and eager to do the same thing?
      Great post - I agree and hope USD can grow interest and the game day experience. SDSU has done a great job in those areas.

Comment

I know I will now be attending
        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          They did pick an interesting time to try it though. Pheasant opener, USF/Augie, and NDSU is a dangerous combo. USD will probably be (at best) 3-3 by the time this game rolls around and I definitely think that NDSU has good odds of having the majority of fans in attendence. What good does this game do for USD if they suffer a bad loss in front of a crowd that is 50%+ there to see NDSU? That's quite a risk.
          Pheasant opener means they would have low attendance at the dome too, even if it is NDSU they are playing. They will have better attendance in Sioux Falls with the NDSU fans who will make the trip. There will be more NDSU fans at the game than USD fans, but there's an outside chance that might have happened in Vermillion anyway.

The Augie/USF game is listed at 1, and Augie's field doesn't have lights. They can't be happy about the JV billing their HUGE rivalry will get on that particular day (okay, maybe not that bad, but media coverage will no doubt suffer for their big day).

Best case scenario in Vermillion is about 10,000 fans, mediocre media coverage, and half the dome filled with opponents fans. If they win, it is an also ran news story.

Best case scenario in Sioux Falls is about 13,000 fans, GREAT media coverage, and half of Howard Wood filled with opponents fans. If they win, it will be the biggest story in Sioux Falls.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
            How can you kill something (student support) that is already dead? I also have been to a few recent USD games and stared across the dome at those ugly (and empty) brown bleechers where the students should have been sitting.
            You do something to try to change it. This won't help student attendance in the least.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Pheasant opener means they would have low attendance at the dome too, even if it is NDSU they are playing. They will have better attendance in Sioux Falls with the NDSU fans who will make the trip. There will be more NDSU fans at the game than USD fans, but there's an outside chance that might have happened in Vermillion anyway.

The Augie/USF game is listed at 1, and Augie's field doesn't have lights. They can't be happy about the JV billing their HUGE rivalry will get on that particular day (okay, maybe not that bad, but media coverage will no doubt suffer for their big day).

Best case scenario in Vermillion is about 10,000 fans, mediocre media coverage, and half the dome filled with opponents fans. If they win, it is an also ran news story.

Best case scenario in Sioux Falls is about 13,000 fans, GREAT media coverage, and half of Howard Wood filled with opponents fans. If they win, it will be the biggest story in Sioux Falls.
              Are they going to haul in 3,000 temp. bleachers for the game?

Comment

Not meant to be confrontational or directed specifically at you, but people keep talking about how the Sioux Falls football experiment was a failure. I'm not so sure.

The SDSU game in Sioux Falls drew just over 7200 on a chilly/cold/windy day riding a 3 game losing streak. There were 3 home games that drew more that year: one just barely, one was Hobo Day, and the other had a top 15 ranking on 65+ degree day. 7200 in Sioux Falls at that point in time should be viewed as a success, maybe even a HUGE success.

Generally speaking, the product on the field was about the same from 05-07, but attendance went up sharply. Heck, last year we had a losing record and still managed to average over 12,000 at home. There are no doubt a ton of factors why, but isn't it at least possible that some of our increased attendance is a result of the increased exposure/interest from a game in Sioux Falls?

I guess what I'm saying is games in Sioux Falls are investments. From my limited knowledge of investments, they usually have an upfront cost and sometimes take a number of years to pay off.

Food for thought: USD has largely followed SDSU's transitional gameplan. If the Sioux Falls experiment was such a bitter failure, would they be so quick and eager to do the same thing?
                The more I recall the 2005 game, the timing might not have been right. It was only the second year in the transition period, and like you said it was not perfect weather.

I think USD and SDSU are both on the same page in trying to get the high ground amongst SF potential fans who often are alums.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know if USD is updating to an online ticketing purchase option? If they haven't and don't, their will be a lot of pissed off Bison fans.

Comment

USD is getting a nice burst of publicity for sacrificing its best home game of the coming season and for inconveniencing its students and many of its best fans. Unfortunately for USD, the publicity comes six months before the game and will pass. Ultimately, what will matter most is the score, and that's not likely to end up in the Coyotes' favor. I'm a Sioux Falls guy, and the game I'll be most interested in that day will be the Jacks at UNI.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

I think this shows the state of panic and desperation within the USD program. They have failed to garner any kind of significant consistent revenue stream from corporate sponsorships or fan loyalty. They could get away with that at the DII level, but now the stakes and costs are much higher in DI with increased scholarships, travel costs and needed facility upgrades. USD is going to make a huge play to Sioux Falls, because they have no other choice. They have to try new initiatives like playing a game in Sioux Falls or they will fail. It is hard enough to make it work in Brookings. Well Vermillion is not Brookings. SDSU is fortunate because they have a loyal fan base, tremendous leadership, committed corporate sponorship and are improving the product on the field. SDSU and Brookings also seem to create a better experience with students that motivate them to return to their alma mater on a regular basis after graduation. Many USD grads never go back to the campus and have little good to say about the community of Vermillion while they lived there. I applaud the USD leadership for trying new ideas as they have to connect with new customers and reconnect with alumni and friends or they are in big trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I think this shows the state of panic and desperation within the USD program. They have failed to garner any kind of significant consistent revenue stream from corporate sponsorships or fan loyalty. They could get away with that at the DII level, but now the stakes and costs are much higher in DI with increased scholarships, travel costs and needed facility upgrades. USD is going to make a huge play to Sioux Falls, because they have no other choice. They have to try new initiatives like playing a game in Sioux Falls or they will fail. It is hard enough to make it work in Brookings. Well Vermillion is not Brookings. SDSU is fortunate because they have a loyal fan base, tremendous leadership, committed corporate sponorship and are improving the product on the field. SDSU and Brookings also seem to create a better experience with students that motivate them to return to their alma mater on a regular basis after graduation. Many USD grads never go back to the campus and have little good to say about the community of Vermillion while they lived there. I applaud the USD leadership for trying new ideas as they have to connect with new customers and reconnect with alumni and friends or they are in big trouble.
                        I agree with the desparation part - in TV's live chat,someone gave the dollar figures from the regents report for total ticket sales at SDSU and USD - the number for the Jacks was roughly 4 times higher.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          I agree with the desparation part - in TV's live chat,someone gave the dollar figures from the regents report for total ticket sales at SDSU and USD - the number for the Jacks was roughly 4 times higher.
                          What are the revenues minus the expenses at each school? That's all that matters

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            This is the largest crock of crap I have ever read on this board. Totally delusional. I dispute nearly all of it but if it makes you feel good then so be it. WOW

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              Does anyone know if USD is updating to an online ticketing purchase option? If they haven't and don't, their will be a lot of pissed off Bison fans.
                              My guess is the Arena's ticketmaster (which I don't like)/box office will handle the sales but that is just a guess

I don't know who handles SDSU's but it was easy and cheap when I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                Which them playing 2 money games has allowed for them to live like that, the problem is I don't think the football heads want to do that much longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X