Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD - Joe Glenn

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    That is what I was getting at, I have no problem hiring a coach like this, but you just fired a character and you bring in arguable a bigger character.
    I am still skeptical of his age. I asked Coach Stig about Pat Behrns future. He said Pat was really bitter about UNO dropping footall. I followed up with a question about his interest in working as an assistant somewhere and preferablly SDSU, and Stig said Pat Behrns was 60 something, and he doubt he would be interested. I thing Glenn is going to find it tough to go up against some of the younger coaches and coaching staff.
    If discipline was a Ed problem, will it end with Coach Glenn?

Comment

I have a hard time making the logical leap that just because Glenn and ED are "characters" they are the same type of person. I also have the hard time making the same leap that being a "character" translates into discipline issues on your team. What I do know is Wyoming did offer Glenn a position in there athletic department after he was relieved of his HC duties.
      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

I knew we discussed his firing and I remember thinking he would end up at USD back then.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...ighlight=Glenn
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
          I have a hard time making the logical leap that just because Glenn and ED are "characters" they are the same type of person. I also have the hard time making the same leap that being a "character" translates into discipline issues on your team. What I do know is Wyoming did offer Glenn a position in there athletic department after he was relieved of his HC duties.
          Since Wyoming owed him a lot of money,I'm sure they tried to get some benefit out of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
            I'm not saying it will, or that they are the say type of guy and will have the same discipline issues. I just thought after dealing with Ed, both the public stuff and the non public stuff, they would go in a completely different way. As far as age, there are 70 year olds that act like they are 35 in coaching and 35 year olds that act like 70 year olds. The guy has energy I'll give him that, I'm just wondering how much he is going to want to put into the program. Some times with situations like this you feel obligated to come back, but when you get back you realize you are over your head. He has been retired, living in Arizona, his last 2 gigs had WAY better facilities and funded their programs to a much higher extent then USD does. I just wonder if he has a bad year or two how long is he going to want to stay?

Comment

Is it me, or was that a strange press conference?

Also, I hope our Athletic Director knows the school song so if anyone spontaneously starts singing it he can at least mouth along.

Best of luck Coyotes.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Is it me, or was that a strange press conference?

Also, I hope our Athletic Director knows the school song so if anyone spontaneously starts singing it he can at least mouth along.
                I thought the exact same thing about the press conference as a whole - kind of a train wreck - but full of energy if nothing else I guess.

It didn't seem anyone in the whole room knew the school song besides Joe. I can't believe he went third person at one point. Hilarious.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                  I thought the exact same thing about the press conference as a whole - kind of a train wreck.

It didn't seem anyone in the whole room knew the school song besides Joe. I can't believe he went third person at one point. Hilarious.
                  I am pretty sure 99% of SDSU grads don't know our school song. I know i don't. I just clap with everyone else.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    I am pretty sure 99% of SDSU grads don't know our school song. I know i don't. I just clap with everyone else.
                    True. And I don't either.

However, it's kind of like this guy not knowing this:

Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Ring the for bell South Dakota We Don't know the rest of the words... (Repeat) (last verse) Ring the bell for South Dakota 'cus We Don't know the rest of the words...Let's go drink some beer!

Ring the Bells
                      Ring the bells for South Dakota The Yellow and the Blue
                      Cheer the team from South Dakota
                      With loyal hearts so true
                      Win the game for South Dakota
                      The school that serves us well;
                      We will fight for South Dakota
                      So let’s ring, ring, ring, those bells.

Yellow and Blue
                      We come from the Sioux and Missouri,
                      The Cheyenne and the Jim,
                      From pine clad peaks of the Black Hills,
                      Brimful for vigor and vim,
                      We sing the song of the prairie,
                      The home of the Yellow and Blue.
                      The gleaming gold of the corn field,
                      The flax of azure hue.
                      Oh SDSU hurrah for the Yellow and Blue;
                      Old SDSU all honor and glory to you;
                      Forever raise the gong in praise both loud and long
                      With loyal hears so true (so true).

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...id=1&pgid=1822

Comment

The guy( Joe Glenn) seems to have energy for 62 year old. He looks like he might turn things around at USD.

Comment

"Glenn's salary was not divulged Monday." Are you kidding me?

You either get the answer to that question or feature their stonewalling in your story. Total fail by South Dakota media. How often is a high-profile, six-figure coach hired by a public university in this state? Every coach hiring reported on ESPN includes salary. But no, not here. Even South Dakota journalists fear being seen as "impolite." Sorry for the rant, but that is Journalism 101. You cannot tell me that if an Argus reporter or editor put his foot down that USD would still have refused to "divulge" the salary. And if they did, they need to be called out for their intransigence. Second sentence of the story: "USD Athletic Director David Sayler refused to divulge Glenn's salary." Why would you say that? Because they refused to talk about the salary. That's called a fact and journalists are paid to "divulge" them. I would also argue that for the typical reader, salary is one of the most important facts about this story.

Regarding the hire itself. Looks like a good one. Glenn's enthusiasm will draw fans and should get them through any growing pains in the next couple of years. And he obviously knows how to coach.
                          Last edited by JimmyJack; 12-06-2011, 05:53 AM.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

You either get the answer to that question or feature their stonewalling in your story. Total fail by South Dakota media. How often is a high-profile, six-figure coach hired by a public university in this state? Every coach hiring reported on ESPN includes salary. But no, not here. Even South Dakota journalists fear being seen as "impolite." Sorry for the rant, but that is Journalism 101. You cannot tell me that if an Argus reporter or editor put his foot down that USD would still have refused to "divulge" the salary. And if they did, they need to be called out for their intransigence. Second sentence of the story: "USD Athletic Director David Sayler refused to divulge Glenn's salary." Why would you say that? Because they refused to talk about the salary. That's called a fact and journalists are paid to "divulge" them. I would also argue that for the typical reader, salary is one of the most important facts about this story.

Regarding the hire itself. Looks like a good one. Glenn's enthusiasm will draw fans and should get them through any growing pains in the next couple of years. And he obviously knows how to coach.
                            My guess is that it's in the 150k range, and maybe some incentives built in. After all he was talking about giving back to his alma mater and the state who he owed much. I dont think he will be getting real big bucks, and no where near Craig Bohl a non-alum who is supposely getting 325k. The Howling Pack is going to have to catch up with the Teamakers in order to pay that kind of money for a coach. I agree, the media did not pursue this question very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              My guess is that it's in the 150k range, and maybe some incentives built in. After all he was talking about giving back to his alma mater and the state who he owed much. I dont think he will be getting real big bucks, and no where near Craig Bohl a non-alum who is supposely getting 325k. The Howling Pack is going to have to catch up with the Teamakers in order to pay that kind of money for a coach. I agree, the media did not pursue this question very well.
                              That would be fair. He's probably worth even more. No, it's not the amount that grinds my gears. It's the fact that reporters didn't push for that information. Normally, I stick to my research on my blog (http://fbihistorian.org). But here's a blog post I wrote this morning on the subject:

http://fbihistorian.org/post/1382527...ry-information
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

Please refer to my previous posts regarding certain sportswriters in the Yankton area. Breaking a story (especially one this predictable) is not as important as reporting on the hard facts. Salary, benefits, others who were interviewed or considered for the position are a few facts I'd like to know. Was there due process or was this an inside job? It's a state institution and these should be open to public review.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X