USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

I think the biggest knock against Ed is the lack of FCS creditials in terms of experience. Sayler picked the ideal time to make a change and he did it right after the final game. If Ed had coached at UNI for a few years, he might still have his job, but he did not have that on his resume. I dont the sucessor will come from the D3 Wisconsin conference, but might be an assistant at a MVFC school. Brubak and Meadows could be candidates as well as DeBoer from SIU, and a number of other assistants at the FBS and FCS schools. It will be interesting to see how many resumes are received at USD.

Comment

I have to admit, my jaw dropped when I heard Tyler mention it during tonights basketball broadcast....never a good time to lose a job, especially now. In this economic climate, one can only hope he and his family were prepared financially for this. I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere. Best of luck in your future endevors Mr. Meierkort.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Re: Meierkort out at USD

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
        This might seem odd but I would like to see Glenn Caruso. Honeslty, I don't think he would leave UST (division III) for USD. The guy is a flat out stud as a head coach.

He is a very good coach, but with the money that St Thomas has invested into the athletic department, no chance. Heck, St Thomas could buy USD and SDSU if they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I think the biggest knock against Ed is the lack of FCS creditials in terms of experience. Sayler picked the ideal time to make a change and he did it right after the final game. If Ed had coached at UNI for a few years, he might still have his job, but he did not have that on his resume. I dont the sucessor will come from the D3 Wisconsin conference, but might be an assistant at a MVFC school. Brubak and Meadows could be candidates as well as DeBoer from SIU, and a number of other assistants at the FBS and FCS schools. It will be interesting to see how many resumes are received at USD.
          They can have Meadows, the guy is way over his head.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
            They can have Meadows, the guy is way over his head.
            Yeah, he just coached a freshman QB to the best season in MVFC history. He has no idea what he's doing...

Comment

I, too, first heard the news from Tyler during SDSU's basketball game and I was surprised. USD just cut loose a guy who had a 54-35 record for the Coyotes and picked up the program that had struggled for many years before he got there, taking them to a DII playoff berth the last year in DII.

Ed did a grad assistantship at SDSU, I believe. He'll never return to Brookings for several reasons, the more important of which may be: there's no way he can peddle all that red gear at a garage sale in Brookings.

Comment

Here's my story on Meierkort's firing, as well as my interviews with Sayler and Mick Garry.

http://www.amazingmadison.com/USD-fi...rkort/11538721
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                  We will do the trade if you throw in Sumner.
                  Well since he CHOSE SDSU over Verm. town. I think that puts an end to your pipe dream. nice try though.

Comment

Re: Meierkort out at USD

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                    He is a very good coach, but with the money that St Thomas has invested into the athletic department, no chance. Heck, St Thomas could buy USD and SDSU if they wanted to.
                    St Thomas is loaded but if Caruso wants to move up the coaching ladder he will need to move on and take a USD type of job.

Comment

jackrabit1's report has some additional details (link above).

Here's the story in the Rapid City Journal -- a little more detail than early newspaper reports.
                      http://rapidcityjournal.com/sports/u...cc4c002e0.html

Comment

If there was off the field issues then I understand. But firing a coach for record with their budget and their facilities is pretty bad. There were some bad losses no doubt but to fire a coach that wasn't terrible while taking your team through transition just makes me wonder.

If I was to speculate and that is all what this is I've been on the road all day so I haven't been able to look into this further. My guess is that there were things off the field that were shaky or questionable, add on some bad losses many close games lost and a new AD you wonder if it wasn't one of those things where the AD said I have my chance to bring in one of my guys now, if I let Ed stay another year and they are successful I won't get my chance.

Just a guess. I think it has to do with the AD

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          If there was off the field issues then I understand. But firing a coach for record with their budget and their facilities is pretty bad. There were some bad losses no doubt but to fire a coach that wasn't terrible while taking your team through transition just makes me wonder.

If I was to speculate and that is all what this is I've been on the road all day so I haven't been able to look into this further. My guess is that there were things off the field that were shaky or questionable, add on some bad losses many close games lost and a new AD you wonder if it wasn't one of those things where the AD said I have my chance to bring in one of my guys now, if I let Ed stay another year and they are successful I won't get my chance.

Just a guess. I think it has to do with the AD
                          I'll agree with this.

Comment

"not being terrible" is good enough for people around here? Do we have the same attitudes with our coaches? As long as you're not terrible...Come on.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
                              Should we make a billboard out of this?
                              Must. add. to. list. of.greatest. posts. ever!
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                                Here's my story on Meierkort's firing, as well as my interviews with Sayler and Mick Garry.

http://www.amazingmadison.com/USD-fi...rkort/11538721
                                Good job Jackrabit1. Sayler is very candid in his remarks. Like them or not, he is being honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X