Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD to MVFC

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Exactly. I find it annoying the way some USD fans are chirping about the way they have manipulated the situation in their favor but I always find USD fans annoying so no big deal.
    Jack......I mean Quack......I mean Attack........or

SMACK? ( IN NON-SMACK )

Comment

Exactly. I find it annoying the way some USD fans are chirping about the way they have manipulated the situation in their favor but I always find USD fans annoying so no big deal.
      As a Jackrabbit fan I tend to find that annoying as well. But I also find Bison fans talking about their past national championships annoying, and Jackrabbit fans talking about being trailblazers annoying. To be fair, it isn't the entire fanbases of these programs, but just the ones that have a hard time with civilized discussions.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        As a Jackrabbit fan I tend to find that annoying as well. But I also find Bison fans talking about their past national championships annoying, and Jackrabbit fans talking about being trailblazers annoying. To be fair, it isn't the entire fanbases of these programs, but just the ones that have a hard time with civilized discussions.
        Hey, be grateful you guys never had to deal with BYU fans. Ho boy.....I wouldn't wish them on anybody including all anti-American terrorist groups!

Comment

I don't know if this is the right section for this opinion, since there are so many threads (which is ridiculous) dedicated to talking about USD to the MVFC, but I will give my two cents here.
          I frequently visit this board to check on all things SDSU as it is unfortunately my primary source of information. (I refuse to read the Argus in print or online, because I cant bring myself to support crap. TV is good but I find the rest of the paper to be quite amateur) Although it saddened me last week to hear that USD will be joining the MVFC, I have come to the realization that the addition of another school to the Summit league will make the league more stable (at least for the next 5-10 years before major NCAA realignment takes place). However, I was very reluctant to visit this message board chatter the past week as it irritated me to hear the SDSU-USD rivalry supporters act like this was the biggest South Dakota Sports moment in the past decade. I strayed from the message board until today, 6 days after the story surfaced, as I thought the joyous outcry from fans would have died down by now and that most avid supporters of the move would be chaffing by now anyway. I was completely wrong, and honestly a little upset/embarrased by the SDSU fan base. For those of you who have been dreaming of the 'sweet rivalry t-shirts' you plan to make 700 days from now.....news flash - THIS IS NDSU WEEK! Aren't you a little embarrased that there are more posts and views dedicated to the USD-SDSU rivalry than the NDSU game? We have two games left this year and many games to think about next year, and hopefully the football team doesn not have the same love affair with USD as our fans and that they can focus on being 1-0 this week or we will get beat handily.

Now that our meeting with USD is inevitable, I am willing to accept it and move on...business as usual, but the thoughts and messages posted this week have completely reaffirmed my previous stance on not renewing the rivalry. From the few messages I have viewed, I sense that we view this move by USD to be a victory for ourselves, as fans,....as we have some personal vendetta vs the other school. For most, I think it is forgetten that the game happens ON THE FIELD...not in the parking lots, on message boards, on t-shirts. For those of us who have witnessed and been involved in the rivalry - it goes without saying that it is ugly. I am begging SDSU fans to act like fans and support your team on the field. Dont get involved in all the childish fan behavior that has detracted from the contest in the past. The only way that our team can accomplish its goals is if they approach each game equally and week-by-week. As fans, I hope that we can do the same.

I do have one additional comment to make regarding this game, since I have already spent time typing this message. Since this game will be highly attended regardless of venue - I think that USD's and SDSU's ADs should really consider asking the MVFC to think about scheduling this game every year on either the SD pheasant opener or as the last game of the year. It makes all the financial sense in the world as both schools and subsequently the conference would benefit. (It's a no-brainer.....you can play Indiana State on one of these weeks and get 10,000 fans or play USD and get 16-17,000 fans. 7000 extra butts in the seats x $20/head = 140,000 extra scratch) If the league is willing to listen, this is a move that in my opinion MUST BE CONSIDERED. Please contemplate contacting Justin Sell via email in support of this possibility.
          Enough talk about the pups down south.....its a true rivalry week! - Let's beat the Bison!

Comment

Originally posted by jack43 View Post
            I don't know if this is the right section for this opinion, since there are so many threads (which is ridiculous) dedicated to talking about USD to the MVFC, but I will give my two cents here.
            I frequently visit this board to check on all things SDSU as it is unfortunately my primary source of information. (I refuse to read the Argus in print or online, because I cant bring myself to support crap. TV is good but I find the rest of the paper to be quite amateur) Although it saddened me last week to hear that USD will be joining the MVFC, I have come to the realization that the addition of another school to the Summit league will make the league more stable (at least for the next 5-10 years before major NCAA realignment takes place). However, I was very reluctant to visit this message board chatter the past week as it irritated me to hear the SDSU-USD rivalry supporters act like this was the biggest South Dakota Sports moment in the past decade. I strayed from the message board until today, 6 days after the story surfaced, as I thought the joyous outcry from fans would have died down by now and that most avid supporters of the move would be chaffing by now anyway. I was completely wrong, and honestly a little upset/embarrased by the SDSU fan base. For those of you who have been dreaming of the 'sweet rivalry t-shirts' you plan to make 700 days from now.....news flash - THIS IS NDSU WEEK! Aren't you a little embarrased that there are more posts and views dedicated to the USD-SDSU rivalry than the NDSU game? We have two games left this year and many games to think about next year, and hopefully the football team doesn not have the same love affair with USD as our fans and that they can focus on being 1-0 this week or we will get beat handily.

Now that our meeting with USD is inevitable, I am willing to accept it and move on...business as usual, but the thoughts and messages posted this week have completely reaffirmed my previous stance on not renewing the rivalry. From the few messages I have viewed, I sense that we view this move by USD to be a victory for ourselves, as fans,....as we have some personal vendetta vs the other school. For most, I think it is forgetten that the game happens ON THE FIELD...not in the parking lots, on message boards, on t-shirts. For those of us who have witnessed and been involved in the rivalry - it goes without saying that it is ugly. I am begging SDSU fans to act like fans and support your team on the field. Dont get involved in all the childish fan behavior that has detracted from the contest in the past. The only way that our team can accomplish its goals is if they approach each game equally and week-by-week. As fans, I hope that we can do the same.

I do have one additional comment to make regarding this game, since I have already spent time typing this message. Since this game will be highly attended regardless of venue - I think that USD's and SDSU's ADs should really consider asking the MVFC to think about scheduling this game every year on either the SD pheasant opener or as the last game of the year. It makes all the financial sense in the world as both schools and subsequently the conference would benefit. (It's a no-brainer.....you can play Indiana State on one of these weeks and get 10,000 fans or play USD and get 16-17,000 fans. 7000 extra butts in the seats x $20/head = 140,000 extra scratch) If the league is willing to listen, this is a move that in my opinion MUST BE CONSIDERED. Please contemplate contacting Justin Sell via email in support of this possibility.
            Enough talk about the pups down south.....its a true rivalry week! - Let's beat the Bison!
            The reason for my happiness with USD joining the conference has nothing to do with the rivalry. It has more to do with adding stability to our home conferences while at the same time making the cash flow picture for the athletic department much more appealing.

For all those folks that think that SDSU doesn't need USD in some small way are not looking at the big picture. The two DI programs in this state need to be allies when it comes to making changes to the way the BoR have done things in the past. And, by having the teams play one another again and consistantly generating talk around the state will allow the schools to continue to progress.

I find it very amusing that people talk about not living in the past, but when it comes to our friends down south, a good majority of people are firmly planted in past transgressions.

Comment

My feelings about this issue are very similar to jack43. I think it is unfortunate that we aren't keeping more focus on what SDSU has become and where we want to be. I think it would be a huge mistake to return to the days where the USD game is any more important than the other FB games. I think that sort of thinking is part of the reason we were both mediocre during the days or yore.

DI isn't about one rivalry game. It may be for some fans but it can't be for those who really want to see SDSU succeed. Adding a more established regional program would have been better regardless of the impact on the rivalry, fact is, there weren't many other options. Having USD join the BSC would have been just fine and would have allowed for the rivalry to resume with less restrictions if it weren't for the needs of the Summit league which had to be considered.

So, USD is now in our conference again. I don't think that changes our future one bit except to say that it may stabilize a Summit league that has undergone some shifting. The only way to keep them in the SL was to add them to the MVFC and therefore it happened. I've been in support of the move to DI from the beginning, the beginning where USD said they would not do and would not support SDSU. Why now would I give a sigh of relief the USD is back? In fact, I say be cautious, I'm not willing to fully trust an entity that just a few short years ago had no interest in SDSU's success.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

And, by having the teams play one another again and consistantly generating talk around the state will allow the schools to continue to progress.

I find it very amusing that people talk about not living in the past, but when it comes to our friends down south, a good majority of people are firmly planted in past transgressions.
                I don't think its advisable to look only ahead, many past issues/transgressions merit remembrance.

Having the teams play again is important but its not critical, in fact, I'd say placing too much focus on this single game will be detrimental and not beneficial. It's ONE GAME on a schedule full of MUCH MORE IMPORTANT games.

Lastly, just how much of a financial impact do people expect this to have? Millions of dollars for each school? When you think about actual numbers it's underwhelming at best.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I don't think its advisable to look only ahead, many past issues/transgressions merit remembrance.

Having the teams play again is important but its not critical, in fact, I'd say placing too much focus on this single game will be detrimental and not beneficial. It's ONE GAME on a schedule full of MUCH MORE IMPORTANT games.

Lastly, just how much of a financial impact do people expect this to have? Millions of dollars for each school? When you think about actual numbers it's underwhelming at best.
                  Once USD becomes an official member of the Summit and MVFC, at minimum, won't the USD games become just as important as any other conference games in the schedules? I suspect attendance ($) figures will tell the story. I, as an advocate for rivalry resumption, have also always thought that the rivalry can resume without compromising broader objectives. I think USD v. SDSU is just another storyline added to the conference drama. After all, sports is theater.
                  University of South Dakota:
                  Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
                    Once USD becomes an official member of the Summit and MVFC, at minimum, won't the USD games become just as important as any other conference games in the schedules? I suspect attendance ($) figures will tell the story. I, as an advocate for rivalry resumption, have also always thought that the rivalry can resume without compromising broader objectives. I think USD v. SDSU is just another storyline added to the conference drama. After all, sports is theater.
                    I don't disagree. My concern is more along the lines of the fan that assumes the game against USD is more important than a game against ORU or Oakland simply based on their lack of knowledge about those other programs. Don't get me wrong, I clearly understood the day was coming when the rivalry would renew, I knew it would be because of conference affiliation and I knew it would get more press than it deserved. I just don't want people to lose focus the much more important goal of being competitive at the DI level nationally, not just beating USD, NDSU, or UND.

Comment

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=381

A "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" Moment
                      USD displays business savvy to leverage conference market

Great opinion on the transaction that occurred last week.

USD = extremely well played

UND = consolation prize

How soon before we see Big Sky/Summit work out a UND in Summit for all but football?

A: About 3 days after Montana goes to the WAC.

Comment

I thought the story as it unfolded last week, was very interesting. I held the opinion for a long time that USD and SDSU should be in different conferences. I became convinced in the past couple of weeks that being in the same conference is the best result.

Going forward, I agree with Jack43 and the concurring opinion of JackMD. Yotemeal is correct too: games between SDSU and USD will be important conference games just like other conference games.

For me, the "rivalry" was toxic in the last few years (8? 10?) SDSU was in the NCC. I hope the break in contact over the past several years put an end of the nastiness and that it'll just be entertainment going forward. If it gets toxic again, I'm going to be very disappointed and I hope there's an immediate, strong reaction by the conference office and all concerned.

Now, as Jack43 said: THIS IS THE BIG RIVALRY WEEK -- NDSU AND THE DAKOTA MARKER.

Pie is being served for this thread.

Comment

http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/...alry-1.2399764

and

http://www.volanteonline.com/sports/...2012-1.2399738

Comment

It's good to see that all most yote fans are concerned about is SDSU athletics
                            USD has given SDSU a lot of free press... If I was an impressionable teen trying to decide which state school to go to... I might wonder, just how good must SDSU be? If all I hear, even from their rival is about them...

So yote fans, great to have you aboard... but don't be suprized when these meetings are no more important in the SDSU fans mind then the average conference match-up.

All the talk latley about it has got me feeling blase toward the whole thing..

Now.. the Fison on the other hand... Let's go make it 2 in a row in the F-dome

Comment

It is just too bad that the memory that many have of the rivalry is the negative aspect of it. There were many, many great games played between the schools and they seemed to always be toward the top of the conference.

The financial impact will be felt right away. Instead of having to travel to SUU for basketball, volleyball, etc the Jacks will be able to bus to Vermillion. That right there is an instant impact. Add into that the fact that ticket sales to a USD basketball game will outsell a Centenary/SUU game the money will also be noticeable.

To think that the addition will have an "underwhelming" impact is to be a bit shortsighted.

Comment

It is just too bad that the memory that many have of the rivalry is the negative aspect of it. There were many, many great games played between the schools and they seemed to always be toward the top of the conference.

The financial impact will be felt right away. Instead of having to travel to SUU for basketball, volleyball, etc the Jacks will be able to bus to Vermillion. That right there is an instant impact. Add into that the fact that ticket sales to a USD basketball game will outsell a Centenary/SUU game the money will also be noticeable.

To think that the addition will have an "underwhelming" impact is to be a bit shortsighted.
                                Lets do the math. I'm doing this off the top of my head so bare with me.

for example say 2,200 show up for SUU game
                                and 5,700 for USD game(is that about what Frost holds now?)
                                that is 3,500 more, except the fact that of the 2,200 that showed up for the SUU game you have to add the 600+ season ticket holders that didn't show up so it is really a 2,900 difference. At 10 bucks a pop for a ticket your looking at around $29,000 more for a basketball game. Now some of the 2,900 will be student who have already paid with student fees. But I don't know what the actual numbers are.

So the verdict is, will adding USD be more beneficial to the conference for basketball? Yes, because it will give a sell out for basketball and a short road trip. If they hadn't been added, another team would have been added not as close, or out of conference contracts would have had to be sought after which generally come out equal at best.

I guess what I am saying is even though it will help its not as big as some may make it out to be.

I think getting the seating figured out at Frost will help with season ticket sales that are close to being sold out. Many people say well only 1800 showed up at so and so game and a sell out will be at a USD game so its a big money difference but forget about the season tickets that are paid for if they showed up or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X