Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD to MVFC

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Everyone on this board needs to know you are wrong, BTownJack.
    Absolutely agree with you JackJD. Those of you who think there was any validity to USD being able to "muscle" the MVFC are not being very logical.

As TV said in his Twitter yesterday, the MVFC commissioner was shocked to find out that the two schools weren't joined "at the hip" (like SDSU and NDSU were). That was what opened the door to looking at the expansion.

A number of posters on different threads have alluded to SDSU pursuing Big Sky membership when we went D-1. Heck, we were pusuing any conference membership. I am personally thankful that we didn't get invited by the BSC and wound up where we are now. For the same reasons that I thought USD would be making a mistake by joining the Big Sky. (Not that I personally wouldn't have been particularly unhappy if that had gone that way.)

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Filbert will become angry if he sees anything more in this thread that he could possibly, when he's in a bad mood he might think could even maybe sorta kinda be even the teeniest bit smackish from this point forward.

Filbert does not like being angry. Please do not make Filbert angry. Filbert bans people for exorbitant periods of time when he gets angry. He's funny like that.

Thank you.

(Message from the Foundation To Keep Filbert From Becoming Really Really Angry And Banning People For Exorbitant Periods Of Time, The Society To Prevent Filbert From Referring To Himself In The Third Person, this radio station, and the Ad Council.)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXpKUu6pUg

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        Absolutely agree with you JackJD. Those of you who think there was any validity to USD being able to "muscle" the MVFC are not being very logical.

As TV said in his Twitter yesterday, the MVFC commissioner was shocked to find out that the two schools weren't joined "at the hip" (like SDSU and NDSU were). That was what opened the door to looking at the expansion.

A number of posters on different threads have alluded to SDSU pursuing Big Sky membership when we went D-1. Heck, we were pusuing any conference membership. I am personally thankful that we didn't get invited by the BSC and wound up where we are now. For the same reasons that I thought USD would be making a mistake by joining the Big Sky. (Not that I personally wouldn't have been particularly unhappy if that had gone that way.)
        I could not have said it better. BT, there was no back room deal here or muscling by Abbott. President Abbott has shown his leadership skills again. Before being president at USD, he was very successful in business. One of our more respected SDSU donors felt he should have been president at SDSU. I dont recall where or when I read this but President Abbott is very well thought of across South Dakota. If not for the one party political voting system in SoDak he might have spent some time in Pierre and USD would be further behind in building than they currently are. Thats all I will say about his political background.

I can see where the MVFC commish conclueded that USD and UND were a packaged deal since I believe NDSU and SDSU came in as a package. She natually thought package once again in considering the xSD's. I am glad USD is there and if they had gotten into financial trouble due to memberhsip in BSC, then some of that back lashed would probably been absorbed by SDSU.

I too am glad BSC rejected our memberhship. With the Montana schools not certain about where they want to go, it's a weak conference without them.

Comment

I wish I could say more.

Comment

BTown, the deal is done. The details of how it went down are what they are and won't change the outcome. Like all changes this one has good and bad sides. We just need to make the best of it.

No need to keep rehashing this now. You don't want to end up spouting conspiracy theory, you risk being dumped in with another poster that carries a BSC avatar.
            Last edited by Prairiehaas; 11-07-2010, 04:02 PM. Reason: Horrendous keyboarding
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              I wish I could say more.

BTown- I have learned that it is not worth trying to convince people of the truth on here. Not everyone is privy to the inside information that you are aware of and obviously believes everything that is said publicly. What you are saying on this issue is WAY closer to reality that what is being said on this board... You know it, I know it, but let them believe what they want.

Comment

I'm going to compare the how this went down to how a hot dog is made. It might not be best to know the whole truth, however in the end everything is good or bad, or whatever you want it to be.

I think everyone is going to say the right things, the conference is going to say they were interested in USD all along but thought they and UND were tied together (I don't buy it cause, USD went to the Summit without UND and anyone with half a brain that could read, could tell they weren't 100% tied)

USD is going to say that they had all intentions of going to the Big Sky and MVFC offer came out of no where, or whatever they said happen.

I have my theory, some other people have their theories, the truth is only known between the presidents, the AD's and the conference office.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  I'm going to compare the how this went down to how a hot dog is made. It might not be best to know the whole truth, however in the end everything is good or bad, or whatever you want it to be.

I think everyone is going to say the right things, the conference is going to say they were interested in USD all along but thought they and UND were tied together (I don't buy it cause, USD went to the Summit without UND and anyone with half a brain that could read, could tell they weren't 100% tied)

USD is going to say that they had all intentions of going to the Big Sky and MVFC offer came out of no where, or whatever they said happen.

I have my theory, some other people have their theories, the truth is only known between the presidents, the AD's and the conference office.

are you saying i wouldnt want to know how a hot dog is made? even a ballpark frank?

Comment

Here's what BTown wrote:
                    Everyone on this board needs to know THIS IS NOT HOW ALL THIS WENT DOWN. Again, this is not how this went down.
                    USD weasled their way into the MVFC by threatening Patty V. if USD & UND go to the Big Sky the Big Sky was going to come after NDSU and SDSU in the near future.
                    You all can believe who you want but it would be a wise ideal to side with the guy who wears Blue & Yellow. Trust me on this one.

Launcher46 posts support of BTownJack. Launcher46 wrote, in part: What you are saying on this issue is WAY closer to reality that what is being said on this board... You know it, I know it, but let them believe what they want.

My question: What did BTtown say? Read his post. The only statement approaching a factual statement is "USD...threatened Patty V if USD & UnD go to the Big Sky, the big Sky was going to come after NDSU and SDSU...."

I think BTTown has been a reputable member of this board. I also think this is a very interesting story -- things seemed to change so rapidly in the matter of a few days. So, if BTownJack has some facts that dispute those gleaned from actual sources (primarily printed information from media sources including interviews with conference officials), lets hear them.

On the "threat" to Patty V, I think the Big Sky's Fullerton made it abundantly clear he wants (or wanted?) to take the Big Sky to 16 teams. That was published many times. SDSU and NDSU were the assumed targets for such additional expansion. And, it made sense. If the Summit and the MVFC failed, you can bet both NDSU and SDSU would be forced to consider options. I wouldn't call that a threat. I think it was one possible, and likely outcome if the Big Sky wanted to add new members. Doesn't seem like a threat to me. If you want to characterize it as a threat, I guess that's okay but the underlying facts were already known and it doesn't seem like something underhanded was going on (I use the word "underhanded" because I think that's the implication by the use of words like "weasle" and "threatened").

To suggest somehow USD wielded the kind of power to muscle the MVFC is not supported by anything that has been presented so far, including the statement made by BTown.

Maybe all that's going on here is a dispute about use of the word "threatened". I do not doubt USD may have shopped itself around and made a pitch for its entrance into the MVFC. I understand from printed stories that USD's Abbott told the MVFC after the MVFC said it had an opening, to put it in writing by Wednesday afternoon. USD had to make a decision.

If there was something nefarious, let's hear the facts. To suggest something was nefarious without stating any supporting facts is a disservice to a debate on the subject. Concluding with "trust me on this one" doesn't mean much.

I think Jacks#1Fan's response to BTTown's claims is the logical conclusion to be reached from the facts that have been made available. He wears a lot of Blue and Yellow, too. Are there some facts that have been missed?

Comment

My hope is that the rivalry between USD and SDSU returns to a more fun and respectful rivalry like I recall when I was at SDSU ('76 grad) and for many years after that. If the relationship turns poisoned right away -- like I think it was in the last 10 or so years of SDSU being in the NCC -- then I'm not going to be a very happy camper. So, I'm interested in knowing if there's something that suggests the relationship is already positioned to go down the toilet from the start. If that's the case, then something must be done before that happens.

Today's students at SDSU and USD have essentially no knowledge of USD and SDSU competing in the big attention-getting sports, football, and M & W basketball. Today's students have attended the respective universities at times when rules imposed strong sanctions for throwing stuff onto basketball courts etc. Behavior that was accepted or at least not sanctioned in the waning days of SDSU's membership in the NCC is totally off-limits under our present conference rules.

So, other than (or, if you wish, in addition to -- since it is, after all, a message board) opinions, concerns and fears...anybody have any facts we can discuss?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        are you saying i wouldnt want to know how a hot dog is made? even a ballpark frank?
                        Well, if thats what floats your boat, go ahead, but I just think there are some things that are best left unknown.

Comment

Just re-read B-Town and YFE's posts. Actually nothing conflicts, both could have happened at the same time.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I can't believe that this has become such a big deal. Who cares how it happened? Grasping at straws of a conspiracy just seems a bit ignorant.

Things happen behind closed doors all the time. All that matters is that the MVFC and Summit are stronger, more stable conferences.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                              I can't believe that this has become such a big deal. Who cares how it happened? Grasping at straws of a conspiracy just seems a bit ignorant.

Things happen behind closed doors all the time. All that matters is that the MVFC and Summit are stronger, more stable conferences.
                              Unfortunately BT apparently has heard something unoffically and he feels reluctant to post it on this board. I can not agree more about a more stable conference comment. In fact rpts sent your way. Being in the BSC is not a feasible option for schools located in Eastern parts of Dakota.
                              Grand Forks being directly east of most the current BSC may save some some miles, but many more will be added when they have to head to Flagstaff and Weber State who I believe is in Ogeden. Getting direct flights will always be a concern. Flagstaff is a jaunt from Phoenix so will require a bus ride for athletes which will mean more travel time in the week. Lets say you play football at Flagstaff, you would hate to have them ride the bus 4 hrs on game day. These trips could mean travel starts on late Wednesday in order to have Friday on the ground and near the UNA campus. Even by air travel will not be easy. They could buy a jet, but that would be costly too.

So UND has a bunch of challenges ahead of them in terms of travel. Its not going to be cheap, and Abbott and Saylor have a pretty good idea where they stand in potential fundraising, and what efforts they do make will have to be for good purposes such as funds for faclities and scholarships. Being asked to help make up budget deficits due to travel to BSC opponents would never be an easy sell.

Speaking as a generous donor to SDSU athletes, I would consider things that would make a difference, to steal Coach Stigs favorite phrase, rather than contributing to something that is in the past, such as budget overruns and help is need to keep the ship afloat. You would at that point be rightfully questioning the judgement of those who chose to join the BSC.

I for one will be watching what shakes out for UND in budget matters. www.Siouxsports.com tells a gleefully story right now. Down the road five years will all that glee be there?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

Exactly. I find it annoying the way some USD fans are chirping about the way they have manipulated the situation in their favor but I always find USD fans annoying so no big deal.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X