USD to MVFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD to MVFC

Repeat after me: Football rivalry games are fun. Football rivalry games are fun. Football rivalry games are fun.

It's a game. USD and SDSU share a state in common. Student athletes are 18-22-year-olds who don't carry the baggage we older folks do. So let's enjoy what they do, and make it an enjoyable atmosphere for them to compete in.

Football rivalry games are fun.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

So are you saying you're not going to be attending any events where USD plays SDSU? Doubtful.

Seriously, get over it. Oh noez, they said they were "South Dakota's Team"?! That's ... offensive? There is nothing you can do about what happened 6 years ago (good lord I'm getting old) and there is nothing you can do about USD being in the same conference as SDSU. What you CAN do though is support SDSU's athletes and teams and cheer for them as hard as you can. Why would you stop participating just because they are playing USD? That's a piss poor attitude and it's the athletes that don't get your support because you are offended over some slight from 6 years ago.

Edit: wrote SDSU instead of USD in one spot
      I'm a man of my word. I will not attend. I will root like hell for the Rabbits from home. GO RABBITS!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
        I'm a man of my word. I will not attend. I will root like hell for the Rabbits from home. GO RABBITS!

That sounds great!- I think this game has a chance to be very civil fun event after all, and you staying home sounds like a great start. Thanks so much.

This game is a celebration for South Dakota and fun for people associated with two fine Universities. I expect this game to be the envy of the league in terms of tailgating, regional interest, and hopefully the competiton on the field.

Comment

Has anyone checked on UND the past few days?

I know they "have hockey" and could care less what NDSU & SDSU did during the D1 move and transition, but I think they thought they were "engaged" to USD.

They have to feel like they were left at the altar. (But I read somewhere that it was our loss and Douple's fault for sticking his nose in their mascot issue. HOW DARE HE!!!!)

Who has the pie on their face now? Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Go Jacks!

Comment

All I know is that if I were the Bison, I would be cranking up the lobbyists to stop any stupid legislate-the-rivalry crap before it gets started. The other side will be pushing it for sure.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              There has been so much that has happened and transpired the last 2 days, it almost gives one a headache how this all went down.

To begin with, at the press conference today, the commissioner addressed the 10 team rotating football schedule. Basically, you would not play one of the the teams from the MVFC and would alter the teams. However, the league intends to protect the "rivalry" games. So that would tell me that USD will play SDSU and NDSU and probably UNI every year, and the teams out the furthest would be the ones to take turns being dropped from their schedules. So teams like Youngstown, SIU, and the likes would be dropped from your scehdule once every 4-5 years, and we would play each other every year. Makes sense. Protects the rivalry and eliminates the most travel expense.

As of Monday night, USD was thinking they were going to the BSC. Patty was reading the press releases and clippings on Monday afternoon, and came to the realization that USD/UND were "not tethered". Since UND annouced on Monday they were going BCS, that in essence made USD a "free agent". Had the commisioner of the BCS had a Monday deadline, USD would be in the BCS now instead of the MVFC/Summit. Patty contacted AD sayler on Tuesday early AM and asked if the door was open to an invite yet. President Abbott instructed AD Sayler that the MVFC had until 5 pm Tuesday to have a letter in his hands indicating that all 9 presidents of the MVFC were behind a USD invitation. That letter came in at 4:50.

Then what happened was to do "due diligence" one more time now knowing we had an offer from both leagues. President Abbott alluded to the fact he thought it was very important that USD have rivalry games almost immediately because he wants to fill seats and build a new arena. His assessment is that it would be easier to have packed houses playing basketball against SDSU, NDSU, and the likes as opposed to Portland State, Weber State, and Northern Arizona.

Whether this last hour deal was one huge game of Texas Hold'em or it was just plain lucky how the chips fell when they did, it no longer matters. South Dakota commits to the MVFC and begins the fall of 2012. I don't think USD ever "verbally" commited to the Big Sky, nor UND. In the end, everyone gets what they want, and that is a football league and a stated league for all sports other than football.

Right or wrong, we are now with you. Thanks for the words on us being with you. I think everyone is sincere in those thoughts. I look forward to the renewed rivalry, and HEALTHY bantering. It is now our job to make sure this renewed rivalry will be one we are all proud of.

Good luck Saturday Jacks

YFE
              Everyone on this board needs to know THIS IS NOT HOW ALL THIS WENT DOWN. Again, this is not how this went down.

USD weasled their way into the MVFC by threatening Patty V. if USD & UND go to the Big Sky the Big Sky was going to come after NDSU and SDSU in the near future.

You all can believe who you want but it would be a wise ideal to side with the guy who wears Blue & Yellow. Trust me on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                Everyone on this board needs to know THIS IS NOT HOW ALL THIS WENT DOWN. Again, this is not how this went down.

USD weasled their way into the MVFC by threatening Patty V. if USD & UND go to the Big Sky the Big Sky was going to come after NDSU and SDSU in the near future.

You all can believe who you want but it would be a wise ideal to side with the guy who wears Blue & Yellow. Trust me on this one.
                yeah I agree with you, I think some of his statements may say thats how it went down, but I've seen news articles from creditable reporters say that MVFC presidents were told that if they let USD go SDSU and NDSU would be courted.

I don't think it was anything like them thinking that UND and USD were tethered and when one went and the other didn't they wanted to scoop the other one right up. I think anyone with half a brain new that UND and USD weren't 100% tied at the hip as seen with the Summit move by USD in the first place.

Good for USD, but they went all in with a poor hand and got lucky.

Comment

So what you are saying is that USD had the power to contact Patty V. on Monday, muscle her into contacting (9) AD's and then (9) University Presidents, and within 24 hours have all (18) sign off on the deal?

Two things. One, if that is true, then you should be ecstatic that someone so powerful has now aligned with you. Second, maybe your President (Chicoine?) should be interviewed, and if this is true, then possibly let go?

In review, (1) University had a powerful enough threat (BCS Expansion) to force (9) other Universities to play a hand they didn't want? I now have a Florida license to sell real estate, so if some of you here want a fantastic deal on some property, just send me a private message.

I saw the letter from the MVFC on Monday wishing USD good luck in the Big Sky.

p.s. I hear, but can't yet substantiate, that USD is going to the Big 12 in 3 years anyway. It is my understanding President Abbott told Nebraska and Colorado if they didn't like it to get out.

Comment

Didn't Mick Garry cover all of this in his story the other day? Commissioner Viverito was interested once UND wasn't part of the deal. She initiated things and USD gave her until Tuesday to get the Presidents and ADs together. She did. Took her all day Tuesday. Unanimous agreement. Done deal.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

Two things. One, if that is true, then you should be ecstatic that someone so powerful has now aligned with you. Second, maybe your President (Chicoine?) should be interviewed, and if this is true, then possibly let go?
                      Huh? Why would President Chicoine have to be let go? That makes no sense at all.

As for what happened, I think what is being pointed out by some is that the Big Sky (a victim in some folks eyes) was threatening to come after SDSU and NDSU making Fullerton's dream of having a 16 team league come true. The MVFC did not want to let go of SDSU and NDSU, taking USD worked geographically (UND did not). It also blocked the BSC from going after SDSU and NDSU both of whom have proven to be very valuable to the MVFC. Seems fairly credible considering Fullerton's moves. I think adding USD also protects the MVFC in the event YSU leaves for the CAA. All around, taking USD was a good move. I still don't see where Chicoine would need to be fired. I think he had a hand in getting USD into the MVFC and Summit. Considering that is what Coyote fans wanted (exception CoyoteFan and Yote53), I think USD folks should be thanking our President for the assist.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        Huh? Why would President Chicoine have to be let go? That makes no sense at all.

As for what happened, I think what is being pointed out by some is that the Big Sky (a victim in some folks eyes) was threatening to come after SDSU and NDSU making Fullerton's dream of having a 16 team league come true. The MVFC did not want to let go of SDSU and NDSU, taking USD worked geographically (UND did not). It also blocked the BSC from going after SDSU and NDSU both of whom have proven to be very valuable to the MVFC. Seems fairly credible considering Fullerton's moves. I think adding USD also protects the MVFC in the event YSU leaves for the CAA. All around, taking USD was a good move. I still don't see where Chicoine would need to be fired. I think he had a hand in getting USD into the MVFC and Summit. Considering that is what Coyote fans wanted (exception CoyoteFan and Yote53), I think USD folks should be thanking our President for the assist.
                        I speculate USD was floating the story around the MVFC if they went Big Sky, they were going to insist that the Big Sky pursue SDSU and NDSU. The reason I speculate that is because the commissioner didn't just go around saying I think its a good idea, she went around and said was willing to give concessions to get USD in, if they just wanted USD they wouldn't have been willing to give concessions to an ISU Blue and SIU saying they only had to make one trip to the dakotas. USD got lucky, they could of ended up upsetting a bunch of MVFC schools by leaving the Summit and been stuck traveling a lot.

Comment

Everyone on this board needs to know you are wrong, BTownJack.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                            Yotemeal - While 643Rabbit needs to move on (and I suspect he will once the time gets here to play USD and the game is hyped like crazy) he is right about USD. They were overly "snotty" and "snooty" during the whole D1 move. Cut and paste? I don't have any of those, nor do I need any. But I'm not bitter. Rather I am very pleased the rivalry will resume. But as an avid SDSU supporter all I need is to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazers...that WE are the ones who made it possible for USD. I don't need to shout that from the top of Frost in two years, just knowing it is enough.

I have a friend who was a USD athlete at the time SDSU went D1. I asked this person, who was and still is close to their coach, honestly, if that coach ever laughed at SDSU about this whole move to D1 and this person responded, embarrassed, with a "yes, all the time."
                            But as an avid Northern Colorado supporter all I need to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazer...that WE are the ones who made it possible for SDSU.

repeat that 300 times over with a different school in each line of the paragraph. Get over yourselves already. There were many schools that went to or were already D1 before SDSU was even a dot on the D1 radar. SDSU would not have gone if it wasn't for NDSU and if SDSU was such a clarivoint then why didn't you go with UNI in the late 70's.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                              But as an avid Northern Colorado supporter all I need to know that WE were the ones that went D1....that WE led the charge...that WE were the trailblazer...that WE are the ones who made it possible for SDSU.

repeat that 300 times over with a different school in each line of the paragraph. Get over yourselves already. There were many schools that went to or were already D1 before SDSU was even a dot on the D1 radar. SDSU would not have gone if it wasn't for NDSU and if SDSU was such a clarivoint then why didn't you go with UNI in the late 70's.
                              I'm not disagreeing with your point or some of it, its not like SDSU can say hey we made the jump now others are following. However I think the point SDSU is making is that USD mocked SDSU when they made the jump, said openly that they would fail, said that SDSU didn't care about academics, didn't care about local athletes, didn't really care about anything. And many people in the state said the same thing when SDSU made the jump, it was the great unknown for the upper midwest. However when it seemed like SDSU made the right move USD followed right behind. And you can say whatever you want about the conference situation, I don't know if USD made the right move, but I think SDSU, NDSU and UNI had a lot to do with USD getting in the conference. You can thank them, or you can continue to mock them, I don't really think anyone cares.

Comment

Filbert will become angry if he sees anything more in this thread that he could possibly, when he's in a bad mood he might think could even maybe sorta kinda be even the teeniest bit smackish from this point forward.

Filbert does not like being angry. Please do not make Filbert angry. Filbert bans people for exorbitant periods of time when he gets angry. He's funny like that.

Thank you.

(Message from the Foundation To Keep Filbert From Becoming Really Really Angry And Banning People For Exorbitant Periods Of Time, The Society To Prevent Filbert From Referring To Himself In The Third Person, this radio station, and the Ad Council.)
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X