More Than a Hobby- David Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Than a Hobby- David Green

David Green is about my age as best I can tell, and I will be 69 in July of this year. So I find this individual very facinating since he is the Founder and CEO of Hobby Lobby and six other separate companies. Being of the same age, he is a bench mark in life.

David Green's name caught my eye a few years back when Oral Roberts University was going through a financial crisis. David's son Mardel was the prinicpal player representing the Green family in restoring ORU to financial normalcy and it was the profits from the privately held Hobby Lobby stores that were donated to ORU with strings attached. There was about 70 million dollars donated. According to various google searches the Green's cleaned house as far as the ORU board of trustees and more responsible people where put in charge. Richard Roberts Ministries were a drain to the ORU budget and that was a big part of the problem. Those days are in the past and the topic of the ORU troubles is not discussed in David's book that has been out for about 5 years.

David is very interesting man as he started as a stock boy during high school at the MeCellans five and dime. He learned much about retailing and this and other things are what he discusses mostly in the book of 200 pages. He has an evengelical editor Dean Merrill so the book is well written.

David Green I would venture never saw one day in a college classroom, but he is at top level in knowledge with the best MBA people. I suspect he learned a great deal from MBA people who probably include his two sons and daughter.

Not only his he a sharpy in retailing, but he seems to have grasp great leadership traits through trial and error, and a mutual trust in people in general.

He is not modest about his strong Christian beliefs, but he seems to be not offensive either. I think you have to admire the way he approaches retailing. Often leaves stock decisions to local store managers, who are on the front line monitoring what is being bought by customers. David tell us he does not believe in committees to do things, but believes in fixing responsiblity here and everywhere so everyone has a part of retailing and feels good about what they are doing.

Is David Green greedy and making too much money? Nope you got to admire how he approaches every situation and makes decisions, which have resulted in the growth of 300 stores in 27 states including South Dakota. Quite frankly I admire the guy, who has had some ups and downs along the way. He speaks some about 1986, when the oil wells started to dry up in Oklahoma and the economy went south. Hobby Lobby was caught with expensive inventory that no one wanted to buy, but he tells how they weathered the storm.

If you are very interested in learning more about retailing, this book sells at the Hobby Lobby stores for nine bucks.

How did I find this book? Well I have a companion who does a great deal of photography and scrap booking so where do you suppose she shops? Hobby Lobby of course.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 06-19-2010, 11:50 AM.
Working...
X