Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beer 30...

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    During his college days (SD Mines) a younger brother and his frat brothers would purchase generic beer. It had a white label and said "Beer" in black letters. I suggested they pay for it with generic money -- white paper with "Money" in black letters.
    I REMEMBER THOSE CANS!!

Apparently quite a few breweries made "Beer Beer", including August Schell....

Comment

JD may remember that in the dark ages the Brookings Liqour store carried, "New Ulm" beer. It was only sold by the case and came in a very heavy brown card board box. The case sold for $4.00.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
        JD may remember that in the dark ages the Brookings Liqour store carried, "New Ulm" beer. It was only sold by the case and came in a very heavy brown card board box. The case sold for $4.00.

Brookings has a liquor store? I thought we had to drive to Aurora!

Comment

I had a friend come to Hobo Day from Wyoming and he brought something called Lake Beer. It was $6 for a 12 pack. It was absolutely terrible, he drank like two.

Comment

Schaefer beer, Bushnell garage, 50 cents a can. You could by a round for $2. In the early 90's that was pretty cheap.

Schmidt's wide mouths at Ray's, I think they were a buck when I was in school.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              I REMEMBER THOSE CANS!!

Apparently quite a few breweries made "Beer Beer", including August Schell....
              One of the best deals around is at Majors in the Twin Cities (Apple Vally, Blaine, Bloomington, Golden Valley, Inver Grove Heights), in which on the 21st of each month, they celebrate the 21st Amendment by offering Schell's Beer for 21 cents a cup between 5pm-7pm! Sure Schell's tastes like day old bile, but it does the trick!
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                Sure Schell's tastes like day old bile, but it does the trick!
                ...there's your problem, you haven't let it age near long enough
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

One of the best deals around is at Majors in the Twin Cities (Apple Vally, Blaine, Bloomington, Golden Valley, Inver Grove Heights), in which on the 21st of each month, they celebrate the 21st Amendment by offering Schell's Beer for 21 cents a cup between 5pm-7pm! Sure Schell's tastes like day old bile, but it does the trick!
                  Schell's is good, I really enjoy it, actually

Comment

All this talk of bad beer reminds me of the Lucky Lady. Remember how piss poor that beer tasted. Used to have to slam the first three just to be able to stomach the beer the rest of the night. Of course this same event happened 3 times a week.

My last year of school we used to hit up the bls for cases of returnable bottles of Natural light and Busch for 4.99 a case.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                      All this talk of bad beer reminds me of the Lucky Lady. Remember how piss poor that beer tasted. Used to have to slam the first three just to be able to stomach the beer the rest of the night. Of course this same event happened 3 times a week.

My last year of school we used to hit up the bls for cases of returnable bottles of Natural light and Busch for 4.99 a case.
                      The Lucky Lady, now that brings back memories though I recall little of the beer. On to cheap bad beer, three come to mind. Meister Brau, Ranier Beer and Strohs. Fire brewed Strohs was the absolute worst but we used to get a 30 pack for around $5. I would agree that the best of the "inexpensive" beers is still Old Milwaukee. The returnable long neck case was the best deal around when looking to move up to a "quality" beer.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        The Lucky Lady, now that brings back memories though I recall little of the beer. On to cheap bad beer, three come to mind. Meister Brau, Ranier Beer and Strohs. Fire brewed Strohs was the absolute worst but we used to get a 30 pack for around $5. I would agree that the best of the "inexpensive" beers is still Old Milwaukee. The returnable long neck case was the best deal around when looking to move up to a "quality" beer.
                        Ahh, the OML returnable bottle. I once bought 18 cases on a "one-time" sale for $6.99 each. Whenever I was having a bad day I'd just open the door to my basement storage room and look at the stacks of beer. It made me feel better. Lasted me about a year.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

PBR silo cans and The Beast (Milwaukee's Best) are the two top contenders for good cheap beer in the Brew City. The local music venues I primarily attend are the Pabst Theater and the Riverside Theater. At any and all music events, they sell tall PBR silo cans for $3 a can. You have to drink it fast before the beer gets warm, but it goes down very easily while listening to some good music.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Going on a "B, Double E, Double R, U, N" and am torn between getting a case of Keystone Light or Miller High Life Light (I'm trying to watch my figure)
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

torn between getting a case of Keystone Light or Miller High Life Light
                              If those are the choices, I'd say it doesn't really matter what you get.

Comment

Down in Norman typical crappy light beers like Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc.. are 3.2 and taste like crap. Old Style and PBR (for whatever reason) are regular point and therefore available in most bars on draft or in the bottle. I mostly enjoyed Shiner Bock but I had a few Old Styles as well, very solid and relatively cheap beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X