Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite pro rassler of all time

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
    "Verne Gagne", "Sheik Adnan El-Kassie", "The Crusher" (loved when he came to the ring with a keg over his shoulder), Sgt. Slaughter, and of course, "Road Warriors, Hawk & Animal". Best announcer...Former AWA great, Eugene "Mean Gene" Okerlund.
    Rabbitden:

I think we are talking about the same guy, Verne Gagne, and I murdered the spelling of his last name in my first post. According to Wipi he started pro wrestling in 1949.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verne_G...estling_career

In early days of KELO as I recall, Verne was the clean honest guy and seemed to win mostly over all the bad guys. The two guys I mentioned played the roles of villians. The early wrestling I recall came from Los Angeles and whether Verne was part of the I can not ascertain, and in fact I not sure he ever took on Gorgeous George or even Wild Red Berry.These two, played the role of the villians as I can recall. It was entertaining to watch my dad watch the wrestling. He honestly thought these guys were for real and very tough, but Verne was the good guy to my dad and often my dad's gesturing while viewing was the entertainment, as he was dead serious and love this goofy sport or should I say entertainment.

Also did a check on Gorgeous George aka George Wagner. He turns out to be from all places Butte Nebraska. Thats not too far from the South Dakota line. I do remember him pulling hair pins out of his blonde hair and giving them to the fans prior to the match. One of the very early showmen in pro Wrestling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wagner
    Last edited by Nidaros; 01-25-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

He wasn't necessarily a favorite, but I had a Brush with Greatness a couple of years ago when I sat across the aisle from Mad Dog Vachon on a flight from Omaha (his home base in retirement) to Milwaukee a couple of years ago. Man, he was in rough shape. All stooped over and had a tough time walking. I had to help him into and out of his seat. His hands looked all twisted up and painful. But he was a really nice guy.

@JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

The Killer Bs- and Diesel. Sting was alright too. The million dollar man, what was his deal, not a fan of him. The late 80s and early 90s were the prime for the sport. after last 10 years or so i would have to go with the Rock.

Andre the Giant in The Princess Bride truly won me over as a fan. (Anybody want a Peanut?)
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I was too young to really appreciate the AWA but knew Vern Gagne as the father of modern wrestling and recognize the AWA as a "purer" form of pro wrestling.

During my time following the "sport" it was the NWA, the only days that mattered, I was partial to Paul Orndorff a.k.a. Mr. Wonderful as well as a Ric Flair (Minnesota native). I remember when Orndorff use to do an Absorbine Jr. commercial, he rubbed it on his sore muscles, I used the stuff for athletes foot.

Everybody seemed to love Sargent Slaughter and we all hated the Iron Sheik.

I quit paying attention after the WWF/WWE came on the scene.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I was too young to really appreciate the AWA but knew Vern Gagne as the father of modern wrestling and recognize the AWA as a "purer" form of pro wrestling.

During my time following the "sport" it was the NWA, the only days that mattered, I was partial to Paul Orndorff a.k.a. Mr. Wonderful as well as a Ric Flair (Minnesota native). I remember when Orndorff use to do an Absorbine Jr. commercial, he rubbed it on his sore muscles, I used the stuff for athletes foot.

Everybody seemed to love Sargent Slaughter and we all hated the Iron Sheik.

I quit paying attention after the WWF/WWE came on the scene.

Once saw Ric Flair at a campaign rally. He is about 5-9, about the same height as Sylvester Stallone, not much shorter than Arnold Schwarzenneger, and a half a head taller than Tom Cruise and Al Pacino.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
              He wasn't necessarily a favorite, but I had a Brush with Greatness a couple of years ago when I sat across the aisle from Mad Dog Vachon on a flight from Omaha (his home base in retirement) to Milwaukee a couple of years ago. Man, he was in rough shape. All stooped over and had a tough time walking. I had to help him into and out of his seat. His hands looked all twisted up and painful. But he was a really nice guy.

Touching anectdote... sad, but true for a lot of these athletes. That physical depiction by mickey rourke made the movie referenced earlier...

Comment

Fort us younger posters

Sting- He always came down from the ceiling or through the ring and he always had the baseball bat. He was kind of like the batman of WCW.

The Wolfpack- They were the red NWO.

Stone Cold Steve Austin- My parents didn't let me watch WWF after he came on, but I still found a way and I thought he was awesome

The original Rey Mysterio- That guy did some crazy and really dangerous stuff jumping around the ring.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  Fort us younger posters

Sting- He always came down from the ceiling or through the ring and he always had the baseball bat. He was kind of like the batman of WCW.

The Wolfpack- They were the red NWO.

Stone Cold Steve Austin- My parents didn't let me watch WWF after he came on, but I still found a way and I thought he was awesome

The original Rey Mysterio- That guy did some crazy and really dangerous stuff jumping around the ring.

A lot of guys hauled beer kegs or beer cans into the ring. Stone Cold was one of the few to actually drink beer in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                    "Verne Gagne", "Sheik Adnan El-Kassie", "The Crusher" (loved when he came to the ring with a keg over his shoulder), Sgt. Slaughter, and of course, "Road Warriors, Hawk & Animal". Best announcer...Former AWA great, Eugene "Mean Gene" Okerlund.
                    Loved the Crusher's training regimen better. He would go for a run with a sixteen gallon keg on each shoulder. When the first one went empty he turned around and jogged home.

Comment

Sabu, Sandman, Rob Van Dam, New Jack and any of the other original ECW (not the new crap) nut jobs. I went to a ppv at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium when I was in college and these guys were incredibly fun to watch. This stuff took balls of steel.....no rope/barbed wire ring matches, staple guns, baseball bats.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                        Sabu, Sandman, Rob Van Dam, New Jack and any of the other original ECW (not the new crap) nut jobs. I went to a ppv at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium when I was in college and these guys were incredibly fun to watch. This stuff took balls of steel.....no rope/barbed wire ring matches, staple guns, baseball bats.

Back when men were men and they hit each other with real chairs

Comment

Found a link at Foxnews that has background and a picture of 22 rasslers who've passed on. Thought it was interesting. Also reminded me of another rassler I was a fan of....The British Bulldog (Davey Boy Smith)

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/ent...est=latestnews
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            Found a link at Foxnews that has background and a picture of 22 rasslers who've passed on. Thought it was interesting. Also reminded me of another rassler I was a fan of....The British Bulldog (Davey Boy Smith)

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/ent...est=latestnews

Amazing how many of them purportedly used steroids or died from drug overdoses.

Comment

For any of you looking to start a second career in rassling, here's a link:

http://pwmidwest.tripod.com/
                              Last edited by NoVaJack; 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

The "1-2-3 Kid"

"Rowdy Rudy Piper"

Andre "The Giant"

Comment

Working...
                                X