Acer computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer computers?

That survey has Apple fourth, but I would note that PC World has rated Apple laptops most reliable (based on customer surveys) two straight years. I'll bet it'll be three in January when updated results come out.

We have 300 students with MacBooks and MacBook Pros. I'm their contact point for support in the department. I've heard of four or five laptop deaths in that group in the three years we've had the program going. All of those were hard drive failures, which is an easy fix... and isn't Apple's fault.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I am kind of a mixed bag. I have an acer laptop that is my primary play machine I have had it almost three years and other than the typical Vista issues it has been a good computer for the money. I have a Mac G6 desktop that I have had to have into the doctor twice in the last six months.

Not sure what I am going to get next as I am ready to upgrade the laptop. (Basically my daughter wants a laptop and rather than getting her a new one I will get myself a new one and give her the old one... Does that make me a bad mom?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
        I have first hand experience with this. I got a HP Tablet (tx1219) 2 years ago. The motherboard on it failed just a few months ago. In June the WLAN card went bad. The root problem is that the AMD processors run hotter than the comparable Intels. Unfortunately HP did not increase cooling on the unit. I love the tablet though and really want to replace it with the new model but I just won't as long as the AMD is still in the HP (AMD has not come out with a cooler processor yet (temp not style)).
        Might I suggest a Fujitsu tablet? I've had mine for about two months and, with the exception of the integrated graphics, I couldn't be happier. Fujitsu makes a bunch of tablet models. The T1010, T2010 and T5010 are models that have been out for about 18 months. The T2010 has a 12.1" screen, and the other two are 13.3". They've also come out with the T4310 and T4410 recently; both with 12.1" screens. All use Intel procs and seem to be very reliable. The newer models have been designed with multi-touch screens, and the T5010 was updated with the multi-touch screen as an option.

I've got a T5010 from before the update. I'm not sure, but I might even consider a 12.1" screen in the future(the 13.3" was a big reason I chose the T5010). The resolution is the same, and I'm not convinced the larger size is worth the extra bulkiness. I also have a port replicator hooked up to my old 19" LCD, so I've got the big option if I need it. The modular bay on most of the Fujitsus is a big selling point for me. I love the option of reduced weight, an optical drive, extra battery life, or a spare hard drive. The graphics suck(Intel GMA 4500MHD), but that's expected in any tablet. The current HP mass market tablet has slightly better graphics, but I don't think they're worth the trade off to an AMD proc.

Price-wise, the Fujitsus are fairly to very expensive new. However, you can get fantastic deals if you're willing to buy a refurbished unit. Fujitsu sells those through an ebay store, so you can bid whatever you're comfortable with and wait until one falls in your lap. Mine retailed for over $1,800 new, but I picked it up for $750 after about a week of bidding. It needs a few upgrades(1GB ram & 80GB HDD), but I've already done one(4GB ram) and the other will come soon(500GB HDD + Win7).

Comment

Working...
        X