Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Fight Song music shared?

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Are you talking about the alma mater song (follows the school song before and after each half)?

While owning up to borrowing from the University of Chicago, GoJacks.com says nothing about borrowing "Yellow and Blue" from anywhere....

[/url]
    This correct, the words which consist of several stanzas, were written by Nils Hansen, the famed agronomy professor prior to WW1, 1914 or 1915, so I read somewhere a while back. I have no idea were the music came from. Also some of the stanza's are kind of poltically incorrect as it mentions sitting down with braves and smoking a peace pipe in one of the stanza's. Maybe that is why we stick to using the refrain only. I believe the choruses on campus have sang more than the refrain on some occasisons. The first stanza is kind of goose pimpling mentioning the ruralness of South Dakota. Very fitting still today.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Are you talking about the alma mater song (follows the school song before and after each half)?

While owning up to borrowing from the University of Chicago, GoJacks.com says nothing about borrowing "Yellow and Blue" from anywhere....

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...&ATCLID=900205

And I have to say the Cornell Alma Mater doesn't sound much like "Yellow and Blue":

http://www.cornell.edu/tours/tidbit_template0416.html
      Nope, not the Yellow and Blue. Filbert is talking about a little song about USD that the student body used to sing at games. I think it went like this (I might have some of the words wrong):

Far across the plains of Brookings
      Far as I can see (bum-ba-bum-bum-bum-bum)
      Stands an old abandoned outhouse
      called the University
      It's at Vermillion (pointing south)

NDSU students had a similar song about UND.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Nope, not the Yellow and Blue. Filbert is talking about a little song about USD that the student body used to sing at games. I think it went like this (I might have some of the words wrong):

Far across the plains of Brookings
        Far as I can see (bum-ba-bum-bum-bum-bum)
        Stands an old abandoned outhouse
        called the University
        It's at Vermillion (pointing south)

NDSU students had a similar song about UND.
        This was very popular during the 1950's and 1960's at least through 1965. I would be interested to know when it died and took a back seat to something else. I suppose when University was added to the offical name of SDSU in 1964, it might have given the folks down south a reason to point north and sing the same song. Although I recall one Hobo Day in the late 1950's when USD brought their band. The first song they played when seated at the football game was Old McDonald had a Farm. Real classy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          This was very popular during the 1950's and 1960's at least through 1965. I would be interested to know when it died and took a back seat to something else. I suppose when University was added to the offical name of SDSU in 1964, it might have given the folks down south a reason to point north and sing the same song. Although I recall one Hobo Day in the late 1950's when USD brought their band. The first song they played when seated at the football game was Old McDonald had a Farm. Real classy!!
          We were still singing it heartily when I was an undergrad in the 80's.

My impression is that this is one tradition that Fred Oien tried very hard to kill it off--I definitely got the impression starting in the late '90's and into the 2000's that "Far Across The Plains" was Not Approved Of by the Athletic Department. I think it was because they were trying to clean up The Rivalry (tm) a bit in the days before we went D-I, believe it or not.

Didn't matter. I sang it every once in a while, anyway.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            We were still singing it heartily when I was an undergrad in the 80's.

My impression is that this is one tradition that Fred Oien tried very hard to kill it off--I definitely got the impression starting in the late '90's and into the 2000's that "Far Across The Plains" was Not Approved Of by the Athletic Department. I think it was because they were trying to clean up The Rivalry (tm) a bit in the days before we went D-I, believe it or not.

Didn't matter. I sang it every once in a while, anyway.
            Hey if I heard some one were to strike up the song, I would still join in. Those fancy folks down south did not like that song at all.

Comment

Working...
            X