Fargo Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fargo Flood

The public assistance program run by FEMA provides LOTS of assistance for PUBLIC facilities DAMAGED by the disaster.

In fact, I'm currently working in AR on such a disaster, completing the environmental reviews.

Lots of activities can be covered, and mitigation upgrades can be added to what was there. Changing the footprint of a building, or correcting maintenance deficiencies are not what the program is for.

Here's hoping everyone had flood insurance, and comes out ok financially out of this yearly battle against the Red River.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      The public assistance program run by FEMA provides LOTS of assistance for PUBLIC facilities DAMAGED by the disaster.

In fact, I'm currently working in AR on such a disaster, completing the environmental reviews.

Lots of activities can be covered, and mitigation upgrades can be added to what was there. Changing the footprint of a building, or correcting maintenance deficiencies are not what the program is for.

Here's hoping everyone had flood insurance, and comes out ok financially out of this yearly battle against the Red River.
      I believe they said only 800 home had flood insurance that had kicked in, as Flood plans require a 30 day period before they kick in, and this being the earliest flood of this magnitude on record it created a few problems!!
      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I've heard that only 8 homes within the city limits of Fargo have had major flood damage and probably less than 50 total in Cass and Clay counties. That last number is a guess, but I feel the national media has been grossly exaggerating the scope of the damage(mainly because they got here too late to show the actual moments of crisis, IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          I've heard that only 8 homes within the city limits of Fargo have had major flood damage and probably less than 50 total in Cass and Clay counties. That last number is a guess, but I feel the national media has been grossly exaggerating the scope of the damage(mainly because they got here too late to show the actual moments of crisis, IMO).
          Yes there were not more than 800 homes, but I meant there would have been more flood issues if a levee or two had broken as most people bought their flood insurance in March not Feb., also in Oak Port Twnshp. that was the case with the lost homes, the flood insurance will not kick in till April, and well thats too late now
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
            Yes there were not more than 800 homes, but I meant there would have been more flood issues if a levee or two had broken as most people bought their flood insurance in March not Feb., also in Oak Port Twnshp. that was the case with the lost homes, the flood insurance will not kick in till April, and well thats too late now
            Yeah, I wasn't disputing what you were saying. I guess I'm just a little worked up right now about the coverage in the national media making things seem far worse than they actually are. I just had an old friend(who also grew up in Wahpeton and now lives in New Orleans) send me a message TODAY asking if I was getting ready to evacuate. If all you watch is the national coverage, it sounds like Fargo is still on the brink of a 200 foot wall of water coming down and crushing us all and that every other house in a 50 mile radius is already under water. It's ridiculous. It shouldn't bother me, but the real stress of the weekend has left my reserves a little low.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
              Yeah, I wasn't disputing what you were saying. I guess I'm just a little worked up right now about the coverage in the national media making things seem far worse than they actually are. I just had an old friend(who also grew up in Wahpeton and now lives in New Orleans) send me a message TODAY asking if I was getting ready to evacuate. If all you watch is the national coverage, it sounds like Fargo is still on the brink of a 200 foot wall of water coming down and crushing us all and that every other house in a 50 mile radius is already under water. It's ridiculous. It shouldn't bother me, but the real stress of the weekend has left my reserves a little low.

yeah I hear you, after putting in 52 hours in 3 days to get home and hear they are evacuating the entire city was a little depressing, when i called the city Engineer I was getting my orders from and asked him WTF was going on he about flipped!!! thats when I turned off CNN and the rest of the money hungry networks, oh BTW did you know our mayors name is Dave and Bismarck is in Minnesota???
              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

And this is why I NEVER watch the national news. They never get their facts right. They're just after ratings.....nothing more.

Comment

yeah I hear you, after putting in 52 hours in 3 days to get home and hear they are evacuating the entire city was a little depressing, when i called the city Engineer I was getting my orders from and asked him WTF was going on he about flipped!!! thats when I turned off CNN and the rest of the money hungry networks, oh BTW did you know our mayors name is Dave and Bismarck is in Minnesota???
                  I still say CNN started screwing up on purpose after we arrested one of their cameramen for climbing on top of a dike.

Comment

Hello all, right now I am stealing internet from some great person here in Fargo (If it is you, Thank you).

We have been doing 24/7 levey watch in two shifts. I am keeping a journal and will post it somewhere for you all later.

The people of Fargo have been fantastic to us and as we explained to a "New Generation Homeland Security" PHD student from New Jersey, the people here help their neighbors and say what can I do to help you, the people of New Orleans held out their hand and said what can you give me.

Got around 3 inches of wet snow today, more expected tomorrow. We have been told that we could see winds up to 35 mph. As Hammersmith said, we also have watched the water drop around a foot and a half in the last 38 hours.

Ther still are some weak spots but the emergency response crews here have been great and very dedicated. One soldier we have worked with is doing a twelve hour shift during the day in the TALC and going home and keeping the water out of his families homes at night.

God Bless these people. My battle buddy (Sgt. Dana Walraven, Dusty Walravens sister) and I have got into the thick of it in the evacuated part of the city, specifically, South River Road next to the Water Treatment Facility. This is each and every person pulling and doing what they have to to help one another. I am very proud to be from this region of the country and would not hesitate to go to battle with anyone from this Bison state.

More when I can, have to go walk a levey right now.

Later, Den

Comment

I believe they said only 800 home had flood insurance that had kicked in, as Flood plans require a 30 day period before they kick in, and this being the earliest flood of this magnitude on record it created a few problems!!
                      Why, if you live in one of the flattest, most consistently flood prone valleys in the world would you not keep flood insurance on your house? If you received assistance in 1997, and haven't kept flood insurance in place, you will not receive federal disaster assistance. To my friends in the RED RIVER VALLEY OF THE NORTH. BUY YOUR FLOOD POLICY AND KEEP IT IN PLACE!

Comment

rabidrabbit.. yea. im amazed more people didn't buy its. its pretty expensive and i guess only 50-100 claims have been made IN THE CITY.

But north Moorhead and OXBOW (8 miles south) have been the worst area's hit so far, so no one has numbers on how many of them had flood insurance.

I WILL SAY THIS, it was just crazy sandbagging last week, people are amazing up here.

In 1 line I was in, I had 2 NDSU fball guys, 2 bball players, then down the line there was hats/sweatshirts of U of Minnesota, Concordia St Paul, St Cloud, SDSU, & even UND........ it was wierd seeing everyone pitching in.

Comment

Why, if you live in one of the flattest, most consistently flood prone valleys in the world would you not keep flood insurance on your house? If you received assistance in 1997, and haven't kept flood insurance in place, you will not receive federal disaster assistance. To my friends in the RED RIVER VALLEY OF THE NORTH. BUY YOUR FLOOD POLICY AND KEEP IT IN PLACE!
                          Becuase the policy will cost more than your mortgage for an entire year, and considering this level has not been seen since 1897, it hard to justify, after 1997 when the river hit 39' they bought up prone properties and leveled them, really at 39' no buildings in Fargo are really under water, it was kinda weird seeing that. The fireman and engineer I was working with just stopped for a moment and said "hey its the 1997 crest" like no big deal and reall it wasn't in Fargo
                          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Flood Insurance is a non-profit program for the Federal Government. IE, the feds (who set the premiums) cover the expense to run the program and pay for the claims. In some quiet years, they bank some $$ for larger loss years.

If the structure is in the special flood hazard area (1% annual chance or 100-yr flood area), there is a 1 in 4 chance that structure will have a claim over a typical 30 year mortgage. In contrast, a fire is likely to occur in 1/200 times in the same 30 year period, hence, the higher cost for flood vs fire coverage.

www.floodsmart.gov

provides information on flood insurance. For as low as $119/year houses outside the identified flood zones, ANYONE can obtain coverage. BTW, over 30% of all paid claims come against structures outside the identified flood zones.

Comment

Flood Insurance is a non-profit program for the Federal Government. IE, the feds (who set the premiums) cover the expense to run the program and pay for the claims. In some quiet years, they bank some $$ for larger loss years.

If the structure is in the special flood hazard area (1% annual chance or 100-yr flood area), there is a 1 in 4 chance that structure will have a claim over a typical 30 year mortgage. In contrast, a fire is likely to occur in 1/200 times in the same 30 year period, hence, the higher cost for flood vs fire coverage.

www.floodsmart.gov

provides information on flood insurance. For as low as $119/year houses outside the identified flood zones, ANYONE can obtain coverage. BTW, over 30% of all paid claims come against structures outside the identified flood zones.
                              I'm pretty sure I understand how it works, and you WILL NOT insure any houses along the river in Fargo for $119 a year, as Value of the house comes into play, area, number of levels, etc..... there is one particular section of town that has numerous homes $300,000+++ that have 3 to four levels and basements, in a HIGH RISK zone, but 9 out of 10 times they are dry except for this year and 1997 so It really would not pay to have it on those, most people see the amount of fall moisture and winter snow to determine if they will purchase flood insurance, and yes LOTS bought this year, but the Early (earliest on record) flood is within their 30 day window for the policy to kick in, any other year this flood happens in the second week of April, most policy contracts will be kicking in April 1 too bad for those people!
                              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Here is a really cool article from the Boston Globe with some great pictues in it. Check out the pictures from the flood. It's pretty amazing what's going on up there. I had some family that had to evacuate, as well.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/03/red_river_flooding.html
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X