Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies

A patient brought me a copy of Blood Simple. One of the Cohen brothers first films from 1983. I dug out one of my TV's with a VCR included and watched it last night. Interesting movie from a couple of guys who have made some great movies.

Any of you remember Blood Simple?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I want to see The Hangover when it comes out. Looks great, and starring Andy Bernard.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        A patient brought me a copy of Blood Simple. One of the Cohen brothers first films from 1983. I dug out one of my TV's with a VCR included and watched it last night. Interesting movie from a couple of guys who have made some great movies.

Any of you remember Blood Simple?
        The first and best Cohen movie IMHO.

Comment

"Being a life long Lutheran..."

How about the 2003 movie "Luther" starring Joseph Fiennes. Not a bad movie for a religious pic, and an attempt to make Dr. Dr. Martin Luther into a stud. *

http://www.variagate.com/luther.jpg

* Not a typo. Took a religious history course from an Episcopal priest who said that ML had two doctorates and so people referred to him as "Doctor Doctor". Guess I should be a good librarian and look it up, but hey....this is more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
            "Being a life long Lutheran..."

How about the 2003 movie "Luther" starring Joseph Fiennes. Not a bad movie for a religious pic, and an attempt to make Dr. Dr. Martin Luther into a stud. *

http://www.variagate.com/luther.jpg

* Not a typo. Took a religious history course from an Episcopal priest who said that ML had two doctorates and so people referred to him as "Doctor Doctor". Guess I should be a good librarian and look it up, but hey....this is more fun.

Now that reminds me of "Catch 22" and Mjr. Major Major Major. A helluva good book, and not a bad movie, starring Alan Arkin, with Bob Newhart as the aftermentioned Mjr. Major Major Major.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Asn't anyone been to see Angels and Demons? Its a great movie if you like mystery and advanture, plus you get a few short and brief lessons in church history.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Asn't anyone been to see Angels and Demons? Its a great movie if you like mystery and advanture, plus you get a few short and brief lessons in church history.
                I saw it on Tuesday night. A little bit different than the book, Angels and Demons was the prequel not the sequel of the DaVinci Code. Not a bad flick, I did enjoy the book better but that is usually the case.

I did enjoy Angels and Demons more than the DaVinci Code because it had a lot more action to it unlike in the DaVinci Code it was a lot of sitting around and giving you history about things while in this one they explained the history when they were on their way to solve the killer.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  I saw it on Tuesday night. A little bit different than the book, Angels and Demons was the prequel not the sequel of the DaVinci Code. Not a bad flick, I did enjoy the book better but that is usually the case.

I did enjoy Angels and Demons more than the DaVinci Code because it had a lot more action to it unlike in the DaVinci Code it was a lot of sitting around and giving you history about things while in this one they explained the history when they were on their way to solve the killer.
                  Thanks Mango, I would not take issue with anything you said. I have a casual interest in church history, and often with Protestant demoninations, they go from the Birth of Christ to Resurrection and Asension to the reformation. Leave out all between and shutter no mention of the papacy as the vicar of Christ. You are right the action was much better and they worked it in real well. I wonder if those were the actual Vactican Archieves that we saw in the movie. Some googling would answer that I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Thanks Mango, I would not take issue with anything you said. I have a casual interest in church history, and often with Protestant demoninations, they go from the Birth of Christ to Resurrection and Asension to the reformation. Leave out all between and shutter no mention of the papacy as the vicar of Christ. You are right the action was much better and they worked it in real well. I wonder if those were the actual Vactican Archieves that we saw in the movie. Some googling would answer that I reckon.
                    No, all of the Vatican scenes were sets--reconstructions of places in the Vatican--from what I've heard, very good reconstructions. But the Vatican has, I understand, serious issues with the basic premises of the movies. Doesn't mean that they aren't good entertainment, but folks thinking they're learning anything about real Catholic theology/dogma via the movies are . . . not. (Kind of like science fiction showing faster-than-light travel . . . good for entertainment, but as far as we know right now, not actually possible/feasible.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      No, all of the Vatican scenes were sets--reconstructions of places in the Vatican--from what I've heard, very good reconstructions. But the Vatican has, I understand, serious issues with the basic premises of the movies. Doesn't mean that they aren't good entertainment, but folks thinking they're learning anything about real Catholic theology/dogma via the movies are . . . not. (Kind of like science fiction showing faster-than-light travel . . . good for entertainment, but as far as we know right now, not actually possible/feasible.)
                      Were the scenes using St. Peter's Square sets too? Or possibly shot in front of a green screen...

Comment

I can see where the Vatican has concerns as how much does any one learn from a Hollywood made movie? Not too much and scripts are written to sell tickets and fit actors and actresses. In my case they sparked an interest and I have spent my retirement hung up on going to Norway. Rome might be an addition thanks to this Opie made movie.

Comment

From what I read, the Vatican was not very cooperative with the movie producers and didn't let them film there. On as side note, I went to it opening Saturday. Sitting in there was a member of the clergy. I can't say which religion. I liked the movie and I agree touring the Vatican would be interesting.

Went to the new Star Trek last weekend. I thought it was pretty good. Had a cameo from the original Spock. Now we are going to Terminator this Saturday.

I too am looking forward to the movie Hangover. Seen a preview in the theater and it looks pretty funny, from a little twisted sense of humor.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I haven't seen Angels and Deamons yet although I would like to soon. Taken and Gran Torino have been the best of the movies I have seen lately.

Comment

Up = very good.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I keep hearing that about UP. I had no plans to see it based on the previews I have seen but hearing people talk about it like it should get Oscar consideration I may have to go see it. I do hear you need a box of kleenex.
                                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X