Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Look-a-like threads

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. Any athlete worth his/her salt doesn't care about what fans say, especially (mostly) anonymous message board posters.
    Agree with you. I've been watching and supporting athletes at SDSU for 25 years and plan to do it for another 50 years if I get that chance. A lot of student athletes and their parents will come and go in that time and I hope they remain Jackrabbit fans after they leave.

As for that other school down south, I take care of several coyote athletes and they are great people from great families. I just can't get past my dislike for red....maybe in time.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am one person who absolutely despises ad hominem attacks on the internets. I see enough of it in real life and don't care to see it on web sites I visit for purposes of leisure. I normally find it distressing to see real, actual, honest to God people being unfairly mocked. Having said that...

The person who started the now-infamous smack thread in question has been a very conscientious poster who has not even been shy in the public eye, as far as I know. This $#!tstorm could have been taken care of at the lowest level possible, with the thread simply being deleted. I was personally surprised and a little distressed to see that his post unfortuately led to the untimely demise of his whole account. I admit that I was gone for a couple days and took this whole ordeal in at once, so it was a little shocking. Having said that, I still don't think that this firestorm is really warranted. I hope that it still isn't too late. Just delete the offending thread and let everyone involved move on. It can't be that hard.

It is no secret that these 'look-a-like' threads are all meant to be in fun and there does not seem (to me, anyway) to be any malevolence behind them. Like JMD, I've been accused of looking like plenty of strange things / people, too (most commonly the nazi w/ glasses in Indiana Jones or some sort of KGB agent / Russian spy). Big deal. Stepping back and looking at it with a more objective mind, there is a measure of truth behind it and it isn't that bad, so it's fair.

Here, the "offending thread" was meant to be along the lines of a look-a-like thread, but the first post was submitted in an admittedly less-than-fully-considerate manner. That one thread should not damn that one poster entirely. Let that poster express regret, set things straight, and let your good and respectful forum move on in life.

Compare this scandal with other forums, and you will realize that this is normally one of the more respectful and welcoming forums out there on the internets. This firestorm will not hurt that reputation. Just set things straight a little and quietly move on. Compare that one offending thread with what takes place on AnyGivenSaturday on a daily basis, and you Jackistanians will realize that you aren't in a very bad place at all.

Mountains are not to be made out of what actually are molehills. Relax and don't take things too far. Please.

If these recent events in Jackistan have depressed you a little bit, I would like to invite you over to B'ville to see the latest on our dear, poor lakes. That should make you feel a little better.

Comment

The poster of the post which led to the present discussion requested his account be deleted (I know no one declared otherwise but I think that point is worth noting again). With respect to football look-a-like threads, no one has suggested they be ended. I started the present thread because I was curious about opinions of those who cared to speak on the subject. There's been some good discussion and as one would have guessed, there are valuable opinions on all sides.

Comment

With respect to the "sticks and stones ..." post, frankly I disagree 100%. True, with some people unkind words don't hurt. But, for the vast majority of people I've me in my lifetime it does hurt - the degrees of which vary.

I just think the whole thing is classless.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
            With respect to the "sticks and stones ..." post, frankly I disagree 100%. True, with some people unkind words don't hurt. But, for the vast majority of people I've me in my lifetime it does hurt - the degrees of which vary.

I just think the whole thing is classless.
            I agree that participating in such activity could be a reflection of poor taste and judgment on the part of those individuals but I don't agree that it is truly harmful. For those individuals that take excessive offense the issue is more likely to be one for them. If you look back at the threads you won't see posts from me, I choose not to participate. However, I don't think we need to restrict that kind of content.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              I agree that participating in such activity could be a reflection of poor taste and judgment on the part of those individuals but I don't agree that it is truly harmful. For those individuals that take excessive offense the issue is more likely to be one for them. If you look back at the threads you won't see posts from me, I choose not to participate. However, I don't think we need to restrict that kind of content.

Careful how tall you prop up that soap box.

Comment

Working...
              X