Our National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our National Anthem

Aretha Franklin did it and really killed it (and not in a good way). She tried to do some jazzy stuff with her voice and it just didn't sit well. I am sure there are those that loved it, I'm just not one of them.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Please do me a favor and play the National Anthem in the way it was intended with VERY LITTLE variation.

Two cases in point:

1. During one of the Stanley Cup final games the last time the Minnesota Northstars participated, they had a guy play the anthem on his trumpet. It took him over 6 MINUTES! They booed his butt of the ice! It was so bad you couldn't understand what it was he was playing.

2. When Whitney Houston sung the anthem at the '84 Olympics it was one of the most stirring pieces of music I've ever heard. There were slight variations but it was very acceptable and an amazing tribute to our Nation.

It is our National Anthem and we should all take a great deal of pride in our Nation and be thankful that we are a part of the greatest Nation in the world!

That's my take!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I was living in San Diego when Rosanne Barr attempted to sing the National Anthem. I had the game on and was sleeping when I was harshly awoken by whatever she was attempting to sing. Talk about nightmares. The anthem should be sung, played, or performed as originally written and any variation should not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          2. When Whitney Houston sung the anthem at the '84 Olympics it was one of the most stirring pieces of music I've ever heard. There were slight variations but it was very acceptable and an amazing tribute to our Nation.
          I was going to comment on Whitney's rendition during my post. Very stirring, with the flyby and the quality of here voice. She didn't overdo it she simply did it better than most. Too often some pop artist who can't really read music tries to spice it up and ends up destroying the song. I think its an embarrassment to the artist and the song.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Maybe this is the exception that proves the rule, and some of you are too young to remember, but Jose Feleciano's (sp?) rendition was far from traditional and is one of the best ever, IMHO.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              I was going to comment on Whitney's rendition during my post. Very stirring, with the flyby and the quality of here voice. She didn't overdo it she simply did it better than most. Too often some pop artist who can't really read music tries to spice it up and ends up destroying the song. I think its an embarrassment to the artist and the song.
              I agree with both of you. Her version during the first Gulf War is one of my favorites(my brother was in Iraq at the time). She didn't push it too far. I think too many artists now think they have to make everyone remember their version like a lot of people think back to Whitney's. Aretha in her younger years had a great voice. Never heard Jose's so I can't comment on it.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

We are not alone. Anybody catch Joss Stone's version of "God Save The Queen" before the Saint-Chargers game Sunday on CBS? I could barely recognize the melody when I heard it live. And the end ... GAAAAA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg7S7n0HXww

Anyway, back on topic. One that I'm also passionate about. I have the CD single of Whitney Houston singing The Star Spangled Banner at Super Bowl XXV in January 1991 -- the time of the Gulf War. I'm not a Whitney Houston fan, but that rendition still gives me chills!

I also cringe when I hear embellished versions of our Anthem. We're lucky at SDSU to have The Pride or the pep band to play the Anthem. I have season tix to the Stampede and Canaries, and it is painful to hear some of the people attempt to sing the song. A lot of times, you think "Hey, somebody who can sing it right". Then they get to "land of the free", and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. It's their 15 minutes of fame and they do all they can to be remembered, rather than show respect for the song. Yeah, they're remembered all right, but for the wrong reasons.

Just give me someone who can simply sing the song the way it was meant to be. There is a guy in Sioux Falls, his name is Dan Saar (I think) who is a crowd favorite. He seems to sing the song a bit too fast, but he sings it with passion, respect and without embellishment.

Someone mentioned the Vancouver and Calgary crowds disrespecting our Anthem. Check out the Edmonton Oilers fans. Keep in mind these are Canadians, signing OUR Anthem with more gusto than most US crowds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJlu6uzBaXA

One more thing: there are those in every crowd that could show more respect for the Anthem, too. It's not asking too much to please take off your cap ... stop the conversation with those around you ... and for cryin' out loud, don't answer your damn cell phone!

End of rant ...
                "You trusted us"

Comment

I have to agree that I hate the embellishments of the national anthem, and the adding of whatever mascot at the end. But the thing that really bothers me is people who are talking or answer their cell phone during the anthem.

Example.

Last year I was at a high school softball game where a student usually sings the anthem without the aid of a microphone. The person had just started singing, I hear a cell phone ring from the pocket of a guy close to me. First I am pissed that his phone is ringing, and assume he is going to just stop the ringing. WRONG. This deuche bag walks about 15 feet behind everyone who is standing at attention enjoyng the song and answers his frickin phone. I could here him talking while this person is singing. I really wanted to walk back, punch him in the face, take his cell phone, and smash it on the ground.
                  I didnt, but I was pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit3467 View Post
                    I have to agree that I hate the embellishments of the national anthem, and the adding of whatever mascot at the end. But the thing that really bothers me is people who are talking or answer their cell phone during the anthem.

Example.

Last year I was at a high school softball game where a student usually sings the anthem without the aid of a microphone. The person had just started singing, I hear a cell phone ring from the pocket of a guy close to me. First I am pissed that his phone is ringing, and assume he is going to just stop the ringing. WRONG. This deuche bag walks about 15 feet behind everyone who is standing at attention enjoyng the song and answers his frickin phone. I could here him talking while this person is singing. I really wanted to walk back, punch him in the face, take his cell phone, and smash it on the ground.
                    I didnt, but I was pissed.
                    Maybe we should send that idiot to Iraq or Afghanistan. Then maybe....just maybe he will realize what it means to be an American and how lucky he really is. For the record I am not in any branch of the service and never have been, but I was taught to have respect during the playing of OUR National Anthem.

Comment

Working...
                    X