Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snowblower Advice

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Snow shoveling is actually one of the more dangerous common tasks people do. The combination of the cold (constricting blood vessels) and the kind of physical labor that most of us don't do very often makes it a fairly dicey activity for men over 40. Also, lifting and turning endangers your back and knees.
    Where were you 20 years ago to tell my parents that. Just kidding... but seriously. I get my first snowblower tuesday. 45 wing wangs for a tune up and I am good to go the rest of the winter. Its a man machine.(from that commercial).
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Ok, after regaling my father in Florida with tales of moving 17' of snow he has convinced me to buy a blower. I can do my drive and walk in about 1 hour by hand so I don't need anything huge. Any ideas or suggestions? I read what Doc picked up. Also, how much am I looking at spending?
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

You aren't likely to regret buying more power than you usually need. But come March and you are trying to move the heavy wet stuff, you will regret buying to small of a machine. Only one time has the snowplow thrown up a ridge that I couldn't move with my 8 horse.
        An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
        US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

I bought a used 5 hp 24 in John Deere(same as Ariens) a week ago, tried it out for the first time today. It worked surprisingly well in a hard packed drift, but as others have said go with atleast 8 hp, mine seemed a little slow and light on power in the heavy stuff. I think I can shovel as fast as the snowblower, but with a snowblower you don't have to shovel. My other snowblower is an 8 ft Farm King mounted on the back of a JD with a heated cab, now that is moving snow the easy way. If you are really serious about moving snow talk to these guys:http://www.fairmfg.com/3wilddog1.htm, built in South Dakota also!

Comment

I bought a kawasaki Mule 4x4 side by side diesel motor new (1 yr old ...new models comming out )for 9600.00 It was just a toy & i kicked myself for spending so much for just a toy basically.Then, i added a snow plow i could attatch for winter time pushing snow.Now i don't feel quite so bad, especialy after this last snowstorm. had a 3 foot drift accross my entire driveway. Had it all cleaned up in about 30-40 min.If it lasts ten years or longer, i'll call it a good investment.

Comment

I was out looking around for snowblowers today and something crossed my mind. If I was going to make this big a purchase I'd like to do it with a salesperson or business that supports SDSU. Anyone know of such a business or salesperson in the greater Sioux Falls area?
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                I was out looking around for snowblowers today and something crossed my mind. If I was going to make this big a purchase I'd like to do it with a salesperson or business that supports SDSU. Anyone know of such a business or salesperson in the greater Sioux Falls area?
                I think ACE Hardware in Tea is owned by the Neiderhauer (sp) family and managed by former Jackrabbit Jason Melcher.

Comment

Beginning of last year I bought an 8.5 horse Poulan Pro. 27 inch wide cut.

I believe I paid around $800 for it at Brookings Runnings. Best purchase ever. It's a work horse.

Blew the plows 3-4 foot windrow to kingdom come.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                    I think ACE Hardware in Tea is owned by the Neiderhauer (sp) family and managed by former Jackrabbit Jason Melcher.
                    Plus, Ace carries Ariens, a quality brand. Bought mine from the Brookings Ace and it has worked great.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

You are correct...the Niederauer family owns it.

Comment

What he said, I definitely advise speaking to Jason. I think he still carries the Arens brand.

I ended up going with the Poulan and its okay but I have run the Ariens and they are better. My Poulan has a Briggs and Stratton, I like that, the Ariens I ran had a Honda engine, quieter.

Need at least 8 hp and if you are willing to spend that little bit more the 10 hp is even better. You won't need much more than 8 most of the time but then again you'll never wish you had less than 10 hp.

Advice, wear ear plugs when you are running your blower, hearing aids are not a fun thing to have to deal with if you can avoid them.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up about the Tea Ace. I knew that also and just forgot. Also, one question to those in the know. Sears has a 7hp with a 26" cut. Is there that big of a difference between 7 and 8 hp? I'd love to go 10hp but I think money is going to stand in the way. I'd like to keep it no more than $800 range.
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

My favorite snowblower is the 8.5 hp Craftsman the neighbor boy brings over to do my drive. Works great! I give him $20 3-5 times a year when the plows come thru. In terms of $$$ it is probably a wash with buying one, but I do get the extra pleasure of watching someone else do the work.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Bigger is better and 8HP is the way to go. Electric start is nice. Taller tires are better.

I've been using an older John Deere and also my dad's MTD and both work great, but the one thing I would look for is a quicker way to turn the chute back and forth. When going back and forth on short runs, it's the biggest pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                                Bigger is better and 8HP is the way to go. Electric start is nice. Taller tires are better.

I've been using an older John Deere and also my dad's MTD and both work great, but the one thing I would look for is a quicker way to turn the chute back and forth. When going back and forth on short runs, it's the biggest pain.
                                My Ariens is 9 hp, 27" and it does pretty well. The drifts over the weekend were about 2' (powdery snow) and, while I had to go slow, I could get through them without stopping or bogging down.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X