Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rules for political discussions

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    I've already indicated my preference: drop it. But if it is to be kept on the board, I agree with WRJ...make it a section, like The Lounge, where I can ignore it, and keep the rule that political comments on other threads are verboten.
    I think this is probably the best idea, if a political forum is to be established. I really do like coming here and really do appreciate the lack of political speech, just because no matter where we stand, we all stand up for one thing: Jackrabbit Athletics and South Dakota State University. (Okay thats two things, but you know what I am saying!) And I get enough political speech everyday in school. HA!

I fear that once political discourse begins, it will be reduced to name calling and will possibly damage good relationships. Being able to hide behind a keyboard may cause people to be more vicious because they don't have to look the person with a differing view in the eye.

On the other hand, if one doesn't care for the political discussions, one can avert their eyes. So on that note, I guess I wouldn't mind the forum, but hope that those who will post will be respectful of each other and remember what has brought us together in the first place.

My $.02
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      I fear that once political discourse begins, it will be reduced to name calling and will possibly damage good relationships. Being able to hide behind a keyboard may cause people to be more vicious because they don't have to look the person with a differing view in the eye.
      Unfortunately this still goes on around the board. Just not as often as likely with a political discussion.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        ...On the other hand, if one doesn't care for the political discussions, one can avert their eyes....
        But the moderators have to read ALL the new posts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          That is why you make the big bucks!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I question if we can keep it civil. If we start discussing a very present topic such as the 700billion bailout, I don't think it will be civil. There are tons of newpspapers who have forums for which the passionate can drop off their opinions and maybe that is better option.

When I started the thread on Measure 10, I think JackJD said a mouthful about respect for one another. We seem to have different opinions about tailgating and game atomsphere, and even that seems to yield strong opinions and you only hope it will not result in making enemies. We are Jacks and since this is a a board for and by SDSUFans, lets stick to campus topics and sports. With sports we have better chances of disagreeing without being disagreeable.
            I don't have a problem a long as we don't get too serious.... Politics are a big deal on campus, and somethings have direct effects on college activities. Other things are more news then politics..... As far as the ballot Measure 10.... The problem I have with the initiated measures and referendums is that sometimes they are very confusing and the majority of the info comes from the ones that are either for or against the issue.....

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Sorry JackJD! Had to throw that in there. Just read Cohen v. CA in Con. Law last week. I think I understood it better when Professor Burns taught it to me.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I proposed the following rules governing political discussions here, and the moderators have agreed that they're good overall guidelines:

No personal attacks or insinuations regarding posters or candidates;

No impugning of motives by anyone of any side;

And otherwise hold the discussion to exceedingly high standards.

(That will, of course, cut out about 80-90% of political discourse, but that's the way it is -sad grin-.)

And also posters are reminded that the election will be over soon enough and they'll need to live forever with the words they post here . . . relationships and friendships have been lost for a single stray word . . . so our suggestion as moderators is to approach these discussions extremely cautiously and with respect for opposing views.

If you want to piss off people, go post on the Argus' web site, rather than here.

If you can keep it respectful to those who disagree with you, then we'll allow political talk.

But it will be tightly moderated, and we will pull the plug at the first sign of intemperate discourse.

Just keep at the top of your mind a respect for those who you disagree with, and everything will be cool.
                What rule did I violate MD?

Comment

Working...
                X